Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29260 of 52669, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wolfus wrote:

So... what is the oldest system which can use two CPUs?

Oh, such systems did exist long before Slot 1 era, see eg. Compaq SystemPro from 1989 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_SystemPr … Multiprocessing

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 29261 of 52669, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ahh! the Tyan S1834! Tyan boards are very solid.

Sounds like someone had a video editing system and a good credit card. ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 29262 of 52669, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Wolfus wrote:

So... what is the oldest system which can use two CPUs?

Well, as far as *desktop* systems with discrete CPUs... umm, maybe the 1979 Intertec Superbrain? Dual Z80s.

Non-desktop probably earlier servers. The problem is I'd have to go back and dig through early Byte and Creative Computing magazines page by page. I searched, but as usual the results were irrelevant rubbish.

It's hard to say because most of the "computer history" that's codified is also really narrow and only mentions a few of hundreds of early systems. You could find it with enough time to spend.

There were a number of early multi-cpu systems in the 70s and 80s, some with 3-4 CPUs, sometimes different ones.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 29263 of 52669, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have a wide selection of old and new hardware, you can see a massive progression in all aspects of the computer.

Old hard drives (the 10mb mfm kind) often have small cpu's on them.
old network cards used 8088 and 80186 processors
I have PCI IDE cards with 20mhz 286's on them

so a "multi-cpu" system is normal. 😀

But I'd agree with Grzyb about the Compaq SystemPro. I've never heard of anything similar, earlier.

If you want a very early OBTAINABLE dual system, look at socket 5. I would call those systems high end workstations and not servers.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 29264 of 52669, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote:

These odd graphic cards... I'm pretty sure they were designed for some sort of industrial machinery like CNC machine or something...

Ah, that mysterious card with no video RAM...[/quote][/quote]

I've had CT65550 in laptops before, this is the first time I've seen one on an AGP card. I think it's a PCI chip, so it's probably just using the AGP slot as a PCI slot. It looks like there is 2MB VRAM on the card - does that make it the smallest AGP card ever? The odd connector on the bottom is LVDS panellink for driving pre-DVI LCD (or plasma) displays.

Reply 29265 of 52669, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

If you have a wide selection of old and new hardware, you can see a massive progression in all aspects of the computer.

Old floppy drives too - Commodore 64 FDDs had more CPU power than their host system 😉

I'd say the distinction is symmetric vs asymmetric. Asymmetric co-processing is the norm and indeed used to be commoner than today, back in the time that CPU cycles were very scarce and almost every bit of I/O needed to do it's own thing in hardware. Symmetrically dividing up core processes, now that's the 'new' bit, at least on the desktop.

But I'd agree with Grzyb about the Compaq SystemPro. I've never heard of anything similar, earlier.

If you want a very early OBTAINABLE dual system, look at socket 5. I would call those systems high end workstations and not servers.

In the x86 world, but those So5 things were competing with pretty mature Sparc and PA-RISC solutions. I'd say 1992's SparcStation 10 was the first desktop SMP system. It - and particularly its successor, the 1994 SparcStation 20 - is still pretty easily obtainable.

Reply 29266 of 52669, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Old floppy drives too - Commodore 64 FDDs had more CPU power than their host system ;) […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

Old floppy drives too - Commodore 64 FDDs had more CPU power than their host system 😉

I'd say the distinction is symmetric vs asymmetric. Asymmetric co-processing is the norm and indeed used to be commoner than today, back in the time that CPU cycles were very scarce and almost every bit of I/O needed to do it's own thing in hardware. Symmetrically dividing up core processes, now that's the 'new' bit, at least on the desktop.

In the x86 world, but those So5 things were competing with pretty mature Sparc and PA-RISC solutions. I'd say 1992's SparcStation 10 was the first desktop SMP system. It - and particularly its successor, the 1994 SparcStation 20 - is still pretty easily obtainable.

I think Bob meant obtainable back in the day 😉 those Sparcs were out of reach of almost everyone - release base price in '92 was $19k in the US - though dual socket 5 wasn't consumer level cheap, it was quite a bit cheaper than SPARC gear

Last edited by JidaiGeki on 2019-06-25, 14:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29267 of 52669, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
Old hard drives (the 10mb mfm kind) often have small cpu's on them. old network cards used 8088 and 80186 processors I have PCI […]
Show full quote

Hey, but they aren't "multi-cpu"!
CPU = Central Processing Unit
Sure, you can find processors (often in the form of microcontrollers) on various adapter cards, but then they aren't CENTRAL, they are PERIPHERAL.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 29268 of 52669, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The keyboard controller chip on motherboards (usually the biggest PDIP chip) is also a microcontroller as far as i remember. 😉

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 29270 of 52669, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WOW! I'm surprised they sold it for that little.

I was watching that listing.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29271 of 52669, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.ido wrote:

I've had CT65550 in laptops before, this is the first time I've seen one on an AGP card. I think it's a PCI chip, so it's probably just using the AGP slot as a PCI slot. It looks like there is 2MB VRAM on the card - does that make it the smallest AGP card ever? The odd connector on the bottom is LVDS panellink for driving pre-DVI LCD (or plasma) displays.

There's also a PCI version of these cards with an external (I think) 50-pin LVDS output. They are used to drive (and power) point-of-sale touchscreen displays. Siemens "Snikey" TFT monitors also use these "Plink" PCI cards as controller boards:

https://www.speedhelp.net/Bilder/Controllers/ … _controller.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sxcAAOSwt~1cpeOg/s-l1600.jpg

Reply 29272 of 52669, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It never hurts to throw a low offer to begin with at a Best Offer on Ebay. Worst they can do is refuse it, but they will usually counter if they think it is too low.

I got half price on an ET4000 ISA card that way.

Occasionally you will meet a character that gets butthurt over the offering process, but you can always give them bad feedback or walk away from it (depending on if you end up buying the item or not)

Reply 29273 of 52669, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

WOW! I'm surprised they sold it for that little.

I was watching that listing.

I noticed there were no bids, and the seller had a bunch of other items for sale with no bids. I figured he would accept it. 🤣

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 29274 of 52669, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:

It never hurts to throw a low offer to begin with at a Best Offer on Ebay. Worst they can do is refuse it, but they will usually counter if they think it is too low.

I got half price on an ET4000 ISA card that way.

Occasionally you will meet a character that gets butthurt over the offering process, but you can always give them bad feedback or walk away from it (depending on if you end up buying the item or not)

How would you give them negative feedback? They sold it at a low price...

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 29275 of 52669, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote:

How would you give them negative feedback? They sold it at a low price...

Well, not this one particular seller. Completely ignored 2 offers (weren't even crazy lowballing) without saying a word then ignored a message asking if anything was up. I wanted it anyway so bought at the buy it now price.

Later on I left negative feedback indicating his poor communication as the reason, because damnit, if I ask a seller something or make an offer, don't ignore it. Maybe I took it a bit too personally and that makes me a bad person here, but I'd probably do it again if the same sequence played out.

Reply 29276 of 52669, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I attempted to make 2 offers on a sealed sound card and got rejected after a second hitting the submit button.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29277 of 52669, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

I attempted to make 2 offers on a sealed sound card and got rejected after a second hitting the submit button.

Seller must have a minimum Best Offer set, the system auto rejects offers below such.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 29278 of 52669, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Seller must have a minimum Best Offer set, the system auto rejects offers below such.

And likewise they can put a min offer to accept and if your offer is above this, it would be accepted immediately.

Reply 29279 of 52669, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

jxsnWTkh.jpg

Received this COAST module today. Haven't tested it yet, will do that later.

This was purchased on a whim really, I just bid on it on eBay and then forgot all about it. I was the only bidder, so I won the auction.

This module will be going in my old PC Chips Socket 7 motherboard with an AMD K6-2 500 CPU (underclocked to 300MHz) and I'll have to run some benchmarks to compare the before and after. That PC is currently maxed to 128MB RAM, so I'll have to remove 2 RAM sticks and leave it at 64MB to take advantage of the cache.