VOGONS

Reply 20 of 46, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As always, fantastic work! My only gripe is that I would have liked to have seen a couple of older games thrown in there for the sake of parity in the sense that the last official drivers for 3Dfx cards came out in late 2000, so Nvidia definitely had some optimization work going on in their later drivers. That being said, SSFT boost performance quite a bit and there's only so much you can do for a 4500 anyway 😀.

The VSA-100 is a most curious case, it was an odd stopgap I feel for the already delayed Rampage. 3Dfx really tripped themselves over with that STB buyout 🙁.

Reply 21 of 46, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you. 😀

At this time I have no plans to make GPU Duels with older games and/or cards. That would require me to create completely new methodology, different benchmarking rig (possibly KT333 with fast Athlon XP)... and also windows 98, which presents a problem - I'm not sure if old versions of Fraps can record frametimes. Not to mention other stuff like system memory usage, CPU load, etc... which would be impossible for sure.

Anyway, here is the next video, this time Radeon 9800 XT vs Radeon X800 XT PE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3hbjveTMGI

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 22 of 46, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Understandable, it would only really make sense for the older cards without newer driver support anyway.

As far as the current "duel" goes, it's a little sad that we'll likely never witness another leap in performance as great as those 🙁.

Reply 25 of 46, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

GeForce4 Ti4200 vs GeForce3 Ti500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3VMu_snYZk

interesting, not a huge gain, but that's pretty much the lowest 4 ti model against highest 3!

now there is something odd with Half life 2, the water looks different, like the 3 was running with a lower DX mode, and that would explain the performance
I would assume both cards should run this in DX8 with shader 1.1?

I remember testing HL2 on a ti 200 back in the day and it worked OK with DX8 mode with some OK looking water.
but this was before all the engine updates.

Reply 26 of 46, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce3 runs with SM1.1 while GeForce4 is SM1.3 and Radeon 8500 was SM1.4 IIRC.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27 of 46, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

GeForce3 runs with SM1.1 while GeForce4 is SM1.3 and Radeon 8500 was SM1.4 IIRC.

I've just tested with an FX 5900, dxlevel 81 (default) and dxlevel 80 water (and everything else on that part of the game) looks exactly the same.
and from my memory (from 2004, not so reliable) the TI 200 and FX 5900 looked exactly the same in this game.

this was with the old version of the game from 2004, maybe the steam version acts differently

Reply 28 of 46, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is some old non-steam build too. Current HL2 probably wouldn't work on GF3 at all.

In this video both cards should be running dxlevel 80, but it seems GF3 is bugged somehow.

The point was to compare NV20 and NV25/28 at the same GPU/MEM clock. I think Ti500 and Ti4200 are cose enough (just 10 MHz GPU difference)... I didn't want to bother with overclocking.

Reply 29 of 46, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And now let's move one GPU generation up...

GeForce4 Ti4600 vs GeForce FX 5800 Ultra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv7Oe6zoHIs

Reply 30 of 46, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice one once again! The FX series was always a weird one, but it seems to perform very well here. FX5800 and Ti4600 seem to share the same sort of layout (TMUs, ROPs and such), but the FX5800 enjoys much higher bandwidth and is of course clocked 66% higher than the Ti4600, but at times it's almost twice as fast. I'm fairly certain the Ti4600 takes a greater hit when using AF than the FX series, any comment on that? I unfortunately don't have any GF4 Ti cards anymore and my only FX card is my FX5900 Ultra which would be a little unfair to the GF4 😀.

Also, I would love to see a Ti 4600 vs FX 5600 Ultra if you've got the latter card, apparently, if you didn't make use of AF or AA, the Ti4600 could overtake it, at least in some games. Is that comparison in the cards?

As always, you're doing fantastic work, keep it going!

Reply 31 of 46, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks 😀

Most likely GF4 loses more performance with AF enabled, yes... but I don't have any specific numbers at hand.

Unfortunately I don't have FX 5600U, only regular FX 5600 or Quadro FX 1100 http://hw-museum.cz/vga/199/nvidia-quadro-fx-1100 Perhaps I'll figure something out, but no promises.

Reply 32 of 46, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to get my hands on Quadro FX 3000... so I modded it to GeForce, overclocked to 500/1000 MHz.... and compared clock to clock with FX 5800 Ultra. 😈

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9G_h_ixCOA

Reply 33 of 46, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that Vice City result... I'm speechless 😳

Last edited by Srandista on 2019-09-15, 06:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 34 of 46, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fx5900 has better average framerate but also terrible frametimes. Does it stutter?

Reply 35 of 46, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't see any stuttering. At 120 fps it is not so easy to spot. I'll take a look tomorrow, possibly with more demanding settings - to get lower fps, so stuttering should be more obvious.

Reply 37 of 46, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used a 9600pro for two years from launch. Some of the goddamn best memories of PC gaming I had. Doom 3, Half Life 2, Far Cry, Riddick, KOTOR, CS:S, NFS:U2, WOW etc..