VOGONS

Reply 20 of 48, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you so much!!! This daughterboard is magnificent!
The only thing that I couldn't get is LINE IN ADC. It doesn't work, I don't hear anything. Prompt please how to do it. One of the main things why I have bought this board is a sane healthy ADC with separate input.

Thank you again!

Reply 21 of 48, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

....Aaand this is all my fault, I have done mistake on the new revision and it has completely slipped my radar. The ADC is slave to the DB60XG and it is also 3.3V and needs its signals level translated before they can enter the ADC. LRCLK, BCLK and MCLK were done right but what wasn't is SDATA which was connected the same way as others, but that isn't gonna work at all...
A wire needs to be soldered from Pin1 of ADC enable/disable jumper to 74LVC08 pins 4 and 5 as seen here :
TB60XGfix.png
TB60XGfix.jpg

New board version is made now and I will order more boards sometime this month and I will do a board swap or this fix for anyone who has got these boards from me at no cost. New boards will take a while before I get them, I have some other things that I need to finish first so that I can order multiple things at the same time to save on shipping and import costs.

I'm really really sorry for the inconvenience this has caused...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 22 of 48, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I think so: I will not resend far away for solder one wire of course, I'll try to decide this problem here. And there is no any sense to swap PCB because of one little mistake which can be fixed easy 😜 (isn't it?).

BUT: if new PCB revision has separate LINE IN connector (or 5-pin OUTPUT+INPUT+AGND connector) I'll send my sample to swap it with the great pleasure! I very want normal elegant input/output connectors, not wires soldered to waveblaster header 😀

Thanks for the quick meaningful answer!

Reply 23 of 48, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It shouldn't take much effort to add that wire. Make sure not to use the jumper anymore, or it will short the signal and result is no sound once again.

There's no plans to have an additional line in connector (I don't have space for it) but there could be two extra holes next to line-out connector to allow 6 pin connector to be placed instead of it, the outer pins can then be line in. For most cases I'd use normal 4 pin connector for line out only, but for special case there can be 6 pin connector that does both in and out. I'll have to see if there's a clean way to route the line in signals to it without interfering with other signals...

Reply 24 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will also just solder the patch wire, it's not a big deal and it won't look ugly
I see no point sending the card back and have the ICs endure a couple of extra heat cycles - patch makes it look better 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25 of 48, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

It shouldn't take much effort to add that wire. Make sure not to use the jumper anymore, or it will short the signal and result is no sound once again.

I do not understand. If I add this wire I get ADC working as constant and the ADC switcher will become invalid. Right? And if I want (when it is necessary) to disable analog noise on the output I can't do it. Right? This is unacceptable. If so prompt me please another mod which can save ADC switcher. Thank you.

PARUS wrote:

or 5-pin OUTPUT+INPUT+AGND connector

Tiido wrote:

there could be two extra holes next to line-out connector to allow 6 pin connector to be placed instead of it, the outer pins can then be line in

It doesn' matter 5 or 6, 1xAGND or 2xAGND. Will it be on new PCB or not?

Reply 26 of 48, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ADC cannot be switched then. But it isn't necessary, output of ADC is not mixed into DAC by the 44 pin chip, but instead it is turned into special ROM sample that will only ever find its way to DAC output if right sysexes are sent. So the switching jumper is not necessary at all, and it isn't present on new version.

I won't be able to add 6 pin connector to the new version, there's no way I can route the line in signals without compromising couple other more important things.

Reply 28 of 48, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I knew all this earlier, I never would ask to do my current mod. But now I will change it as follow.

First, cut two ways to 1st and 2nd pins:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
171.23 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Second, place and solder wire between chips directly:

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
171.74 KiB
Views
File license

Third, remove "LINE IN" wires from 4-pin "LINE OUT" connector and solder them to 1st and 2nd pins:

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
181.9 KiB
Views
File license

Fourth, repair AGND on "LINE OUT" connector.

On new LINE IN connector it will be DGND but I think it won't be fatal. Am I right?

Reply 29 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ ok I am officially confused... what the TB60XG is supposed to do that it doesn't so you regret it?
I also have one and it works fine and has more quality and features than the original XR385 daughterboard that is prone to just die... did a feature from XR385 did not make it or is now broken?!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 31 of 48, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could repurpose the ADC jumper pins for line in connector but it uses DGND not AGND so there may be noise due to that.

Reply 32 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARUS wrote:

keropi, I agree with you absolutely, I'm in love with TB60XG! I just want LINE IN and find out what it can. That is all.

ah OK 😎
I have no need for it so I had no idea , I just use it for gaming

Reply 34 of 48, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I did it a 3 weeks ago.

d.jpg
Filename
d.jpg
File size
138.94 KiB
Views
File license

I couldn't find a guy who can solder as well as Tiido. But it's done.

Now the question: what SYSEX commands should I type for enable PASSTHROUGH playing (with its own WT still enabled)? I can use Cakewalk, XG Edit. And in pure DOS?

Thank you very much for this amazing card!!!

Reply 35 of 48, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know the necessary sysexes to enable ADC related things, closest info I know is SW60XG related but how much applies to DB60XG I don't know : http://www.studio4all.de/htmle/frameset090.html

Reply 36 of 48, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, thanks. I'll put it off till later. Now I'm rebuilding my work/fun place totally.

By the way I recall SW60XG has enabled LINE IN instantly as default when power on 😀 and working in DOS with 2 or 3 echo effects (or without) if you place necessary text commands in autoexec.bat. I will find what to do with DB60XG for enable input.

Reply 38 of 48, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, they have not gone anywhere ~