VOGONS

First post, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would like to share to fellow vogoners a very special situation encountered!
In one of my old systems I tried to upgrade the cooler from stock to an aftermarket one.
Specifically I am talking about the following configuration:
Athlon XP 3200 with original AMD cooler.
Abit AN7 with nforce2 ultra chipset
2*1gb Corsair CAS2
Geforce 7800gs
80gb SATA HDD
The CPU was running quite hot with the stock cooler - 55degrees at full load. I bought a brand new Arctic cooling copper silent 3 designed for socket 462 and installed it. The system starts and immediately shuts down with no beep and post code 9A. tried everything from starting the system barebones with just 1 memory module and the graphic card; change memory, CPU, graphic card and nothing. The system will not post!! I tried all the original components on another socket 462 system and they ran just fine! I thought the motherboard was toast so I put a Duron with the stock cooler and the system started right away!
I fully assembled the original configuration with the stock AMD cooler and BINGO - beep and post all the way to Windows XP! I tried the same cooler on another socket 462 board with the same results: no POST even if the fan was runnning just fine!
The conclusion: just use original coolers from 15-20 years ago and put a case fan and not to mess with modern up to date ones!

Reply 1 of 5, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be careful hacking together a cooling solution, especially for old AMD parts, they had no thermal throttling and would just go up in flames.

Reply 3 of 5, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would like to report back that the above problem is limited to motherboards with nforce chip-sets! I tried first Abit AN7 and refused to post; I tried last night NF7-S 2.0 and it did not post either; finally I tried NF7-S2G and that board also refused to post. I took the Copper silent 3 to a friend with Asus A7n8x-e deluxe thinking Abit motherboards have a problem with this particular cooler and after installing the cooler the system simply refused to start! As a last resort before returning the item I tried it on an Abit KW7 with VIA KT880 chip-set and it started right away. I assembled the system fully and let it run 3dmark 2001 - no problem whatsoever and the temperatures are really low: 40degrees at full load on an Athlon XP 3200. Tried on an Abit KV7 with VIA KT600 chip set and it runs OK too!
So the problem with aftermarket coolers such as Arctic cooling cooper silent 3 are limited to boards with nforce chip sets! Hope this helps.