VOGONS

First post, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After a slightly botched Windows 98SE reinstall a week or two ago, with some random stability issues afterwards, I decided to wipe the drive and start over. (Don't worry, all the programs and files I wanted to save are already on a USB drive.)

What happened was that I got impatient. Some program installations appeared to hang in the middle of copying, so I used the Task Manager to stop them. The installation program for a Sound Blaster Audigy card was one of them. After I reinstalled it, I figured the drivers were corrupted a little bit, because when I played some Wavetable MIDI through it, the sound only came out through the left speaker. Normal sound is able to play through both speakers, though.

No such luck. After I reinstalled the drivers, the MIDI music still plays only through the left speaker.

I'm not sure if this means that the wavetable chip on the card is bad, or whatever.

Reply 1 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

so only midi. digital sound like wav files play on both speakers.
Its not something simple like the midi channel in the mixer is moved all the way tot he left?

Reply 3 of 7, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey T! Are you by any chance the Cosmo guy?

Regardless, sorry to hear about this issue. Does your card play the music and the digital audio both?

Have you tried the digital audio, which comes out of both speakers, with headphones? Does it work fine with a stereo track, as in, not old game audio in mono?

Reply 4 of 7, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're talking about the Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure mod that I'm working on, then, yes, I am!

I'm not sure about the digital audio. I'll check in the morning. I attempted to narrow the problem using a pair of headphones, and it only confirmed my suspicions: the Audigy will only output MIDI through the left speaker.

Reply 6 of 7, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love when people discover cool projects people are working on here.

Unrelated but pretty cool nonetheless.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7 of 7, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, did some more investigation. I tried to connect the digital output to the speakers, and test the surround sound, but the sound only comes out of the front two speakers. Egh. I think the higher functions of the Audigy chip are shot. I wouldn't be surprised either, since the card itself is nearly 20 years old, and seems more cheaply-made than, say, an original Sound Blaster or SB16. It seems like cheaply-made electronics don't last for more than 15 years or more.

I have an Audigy 2 on its way for about $10, since that's closer to the timeframe I want this computer to be in.