VOGONS

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a Sound Blaster 16 driver,
more precisely a third-party 16-Bit driver for PC/GEOS 3, 4 aka New Deal Office, Breadbox Ensemble etc.

Does anybody know if such a thing exists ?

In Breadbox Ensemble, there are built-in Sound Blaster 1.x drivers that do work,
but they can only do 8-Bit resolution. That's not enough, sadly.

Any help appreciated! 😀

Ediit: Sorry, wrong sub forum, I guess. 🙁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea ? Please share the information that you have, may it only a bit.
- I need an answer until tomorrow for a little project.
It's not critical by any means, but I'd really like to finish it in time.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 17, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I only know GEOS and GeoWorks from magazine ads. Sorry. Any workaround possible? Downsampling the files in question?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

Well, I only know GEOS and GeoWorks from magazine ads. Sorry. Any workaround possible? Downsampling the files in question?

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I tried downsampling, but the result was not clean enough for my Morse decoder. 🙁
(- I tried to use Breadbox Ensemble as a Wave player for may SAQ recording, see Next SAQ transmission planned soon )

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 17, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

In Breadbox Ensemble, there are built-in Sound Blaster 1.x drivers that do work,
but they can only do 8-Bit resolution. That's not enough, sadly.

Check what other drivers are built-in. If any of those are for a 16-bit sound card, replace the sound card with that model.

Breadbox Ensemble was meant for office work and it's highly unlikely that they cared about adding support for the SB16 if that card did work with the drivers already built-in.

Reply 5 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for your replay, too!

This is what I can choose from. The software is from the 2000s..

Attachments

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 17, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My bet is that they have only one driver, which takes care of the slightly different DSP commands and/or sampling rates. Is there a homebrew community for geoworks, which might have made third party drivers?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 7 of 17, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe you could try the last version of Breadbox Ensemble released. Your screenshot certainly isn't from the last version. No idea if it had more sound cards to choose from, however.

Another idea might be using an ESS-based sound card with the SB driver. Those have much better noise levels.

Reply 8 of 17, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The source seems available:

https://github.com/bluewaysw/pcgeos/tree/mast … nd/SoundBlaster

So you could make your own driver. 😀

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 9 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks! If I had a few weeks left to tinker, I surely would have a look at it.
Unfortunately, the weekend is almost over and I wanted to finish the SAQ video a week after the original event happened.
I could have used any WAV/PCM player to feed the Telereader, but I thought I should give Geoworks/Ensemble a chance.

derSammler wrote:

Maybe you could try the last version of Breadbox Ensemble released.

Hi, what's the current release please ? My kernal seems to be 4.1.0.1.

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks! 😀

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 17, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have 4.1.2 from 2006, which has no Sb16 driver either. GeoWorks at some point however seems to have had a dedicated Sb16 driver. So going for an older version might be the solution.

Reply 13 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Somehow I doubt PC/GEOS ever had one. They're practically hardware support frozen since 1991 and always were the odd duck for forever sticking to that in the 2000's commercial OS market...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 17, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't recall any. My first version was 1.2 Pro and ran NDO 3.2a for a bit. Just checked out Breadbox Ensemble 4.1.2 and it has the same drivers as NDO. It really wasn't a multi media GUI. More a compliment to Dos really. Things like 256 plus colour wasn't really a priority. With it's release under GPL there may be a grass roots/hobbiest interest in it to add features. Still a few copyright issues to sort out iirc.The SDK had been available tor quite some time.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 15 of 17, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Maybe you could try the last version of Breadbox Ensemble released. Your screenshot certainly isn't from the last version.

It could be if it is running the Motif interface. The shaded bar at the top of the windows indicate it's a later version.

Reply 16 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks everyone so far! I'm still learning about PC/GEOS and I'm fine with its hardware support otherwise.
It's just that the 8-Bit resolution wasn't producing the kind of signal needed for that special device (Telereader CD 660)..
(I tried both an original SB 2.0 and SB16 as well as emulated versions of these in PCem. Perhaps I should use an ISA/PCI card with SB emulation, too - it might smooth out the signal.)

Caluser2000 wrote:

It could be if it is running the Motif interface. The shaded bar at the top of the windows indicate it's a later version.

Yes, that's the case. I changed it back to Motif, since it seemed friendlier to me. In some way or another, it looked a bit like TWM window manager of *nix, also, which I like.

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 17, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kidguard in Preferences is a clue to. Yeah I prefer the Motif interface as well. The so called Industry standard interface is just blah and boring.