VOGONS

First post, by eperezf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I recently got 2 computers. One of them is a 286 SunMoonStar (never heard of the brand) with a dead PSU and the other one is a ComputerLand Micro/C (386, 4mb RAM, 77MB HDD) that came without a graphics card.

I took the SunMoonStar graphics to the ComputerLand PC but I'm having trouble identifying and configuring it The closest one I could find was this http://shoh.vgamuseum.info/index.php/componen … ologies-p82c435. Here's a picture of the card.

d3XrGi5.jpg.

The only text in the card itself is "SMS-PC-SEGA-C-A". I assume it's a SunMoonStar PC SuperEGA card. The only information I have is the one written by hand that shows how to configure it for monochrome. But even then, it's being detected as VGA/PGA/EGA during boot. If I change the BIOS setting to monochrome it says "CMOS Display Type Mismatch". It has 256kb of memory and Phoenix Enhanced Video BIOS PLUS Version 1.00.00.

Does anybody know the DIP Switch configuration? I only have one MDA monitor at the moment and I don't want to damage it testing switch settings.

Reply 1 of 5, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please be aware that "monochrome" on VGA cards does *not* mean that they can work as MDA/HGC replacement.
It only means that they are configured to drive a monochrome VGA monitor, or emulate monochrome card using a VGA monitor.

So you cannot use a VGA card to drive a MDA monitor!
Get a MDA or Hercules card for that.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same. Only a few early VGA cards with a secondary 9pin connector had the ability to drive TTL monitors driectly..
That being said, I never managed to get these working with my Hercules monitors.
Perhaps that was just my fault, though, since I didn't know the right DIP swicth setings.
Anyway, Hercules/CGA/EGA emulation on a VGA monitor worked fine most of the time by using a mode utility in DOS.

Edit: Just noted this is some kind of "Super EGA" card (SEGA/LEGA)..
Maybe it can drive the TTL monitor in 720x348 (or 640x400) or 640x350 (mono) then.

http://minuszerodegrees.net/video/bios_video_modes.htm
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?501 … s-configuration

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by eperezf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retardware wrote:
Please be aware that "monochrome" on VGA cards does *not* mean that they can work as MDA/HGC replacement. It only means that the […]
Show full quote

Please be aware that "monochrome" on VGA cards does *not* mean that they can work as MDA/HGC replacement.
It only means that they are configured to drive a monochrome VGA monitor, or emulate monochrome card using a VGA monitor.

So you cannot use a VGA card to drive a MDA monitor!
Get a MDA or Hercules card for that.

Sorry if I understand wrong (English is not my first language). This card doesn't have a VGA connector. I know I can't use a VGA card with an MDA monitor due to how they work (and different port also).

I wanted to know the DIP switch config so I can get an EGA monitor and hook it up or set the correct setting for my current monochrome monitor without damaging anything.

Reply 4 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eperezf wrote:

The only information I have is the one written by hand that shows how to configure it for monochrome. But even then, it's being detected as VGA/PGA/EGA during boot.

This doesn't mean that anything is wrong. An EGA card configured for monochrome output should still be set as "VGA/PGA/EGA" in the BIOS. The "VGA/PGA/EGA" BIOS setting simply means that the system should expect a video BIOS extension on the card (plain CGA and monochrome cards don't have one).

If an EGA card is correctly configured for monochrome EGA output, its mode selection will be limited to mode 7 (80x25 text, MDA-like attributes, 9x14 character cell) and mode 0Fh (640x350 monochrome graphics). Try to run a game/program which sets another mode (i.e., virtually anything) and see if that's the case. I expect that even "MODE CO40" from the DOS prompt should fail.

A few C&T-based EGA cards offered Hercules emulation too, which is a different kettle of fish altogether, but that may or may not be the case with your card/config setting.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 5, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice card. There are many very similar CHIPS P82C435 / P82A436 EGA cards around, they should have the same features, but maybe order of the DIPs is different.

Keropi has uploaded a pdf manual of his Tulip TEVA-2 EGA card here:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?589 … on-1-02-01-quot

These cards also support the VGA 640x480x16 mode on some EGA monitors, which is not covered by this manual. Maybe dependent on the BIOS-version. See also
Is there a win3x EGA driver that supports more than 640x350 resolution?

You should be able to find other manuals of similar cards, too.