VOGONS

First post, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been trying with no success to get Star Wars KOTOR to work on a Core 2 Quad system I built. It is running Windows XP. I have tried to run the game at various settings (usually max) and after about a minute in game it will crash (usually on the character creation screen). Does this game have CPU affinity issues on XP, and would turning off multi-threading in the bios or msconfig solve these problems?

FIX: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_ … lic#Lag_and_CTD

Go to the installation folder. Edit swkotor.ini. Scroll down until you find “Graphics Options”. At the end of the graphics optio […]
Show full quote

Go to the installation folder.
Edit swkotor.ini.
Scroll down until you find “Graphics Options”. At the end of the graphics options section.
Add the line Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1
Save the file.

Last edited by TheMLGladiator on 2021-03-24, 01:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Desomondo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's probably not a multi-threading issue. I also have a Core 2 Quad rig with a fresh XP SP2 install and I played through the first few hours of KOTOR 1 a couple weeks ago, no problems. I'd suggest running through the usual suspects: make sure the game is patched up, update your drivers, etc. Good luck.

Win98: PII 400 | 440BX | Voodoo3 | Live + SB16
WinME: P4 HT 641 | 865G | Geforce4 Ti4400 | Audigy2ZS
WinXP: C2 Q9400 | G41 | Geforce GTX 280 | X-Fi
Win7: i7 2600K | P67 | Geforce GTX 980ti | X-Fi
Win10: R7 5800X | X570 | Radeon RX 6800 | X-Fi Titanium

Reply 3 of 3, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Which video card are you using? Is it a Radeon?

It was a Geforce 9800 GT, which I upgraded to at 9800 GTX+. I honestly think I may just have a scratched disc 😢