VOGONS

Common searches

How do I uninstall DosBox?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DosUnistaller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I love DosBox. That being said, it’s interfering with console mode on my Alienware Alpha. Whenever I try to play an older game from the steam store, the DosBox window pops up and everything glitches. So it needs to go.

I had someone help me get rid of dosbox and I can’t find any trace of it on my computer... except when I start playing an older game. Then the window pops up and my game starts to lag.

Any suggestions? Is there an DosBox uninstaller program I can download?

Thank you all so much for the help!

Reply 7 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The game bundles Dosbox to make it run. If you want to get rid of dosbox, get rid of thr game. It won't even run without Dosbox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is "console mode"?
What are these "older games"? List them.
What do you mean by "everything glitches"? If everything glitches then you are in a simulation and have other things to worry about.

Windows 8+ does not support DOS games anymore unless you are running 32bit Windows and are playing the few that can play in a window.

There is no "risk" the games will not work unless you use an emulator to play them. DOSBox is the arguably the best solution, the only other would be pcem. Currently everything else for Windows for DOS games is not worth using except for specific use cases.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 18, by DosUnistaller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Alienware Alpha is a computer/console hybrid. It has desktop mode where it’s a normal computer and console mode that simulates an Xbox/PlayStation experience. Console mode is linked to a steam account so you buy the games in the store and scroll over to your library to play them once they downloaded.

When I bought the thing, the steam store didn’t have kings quest, or Torin’s passage or a few other games from my childhood. So I downloaded DosBox and bought a couple of games from GOG to play them when I was in desktop mode. To be honest, I don’t really play them because console mode is just way more convenient and I like using a controller only to scroll through games. I didn’t realize that until after owning the computer for a while.

Then the steam store gets the Kings Quest Collection, so I buy it. It’s now in my library on console mode and I can’t wait to play it. When I try to play it DosBox appears and screws it up.

I had somebody help me uninstall DosBox. I don’t know what they did but I can’t find a trace of a file anywhere on my computer that’s even related to DosBox anymore. But whenever I’m on console mode and try to load Kong’s Quest, DosBox pops up and everything glitches and goes to hell.

The other day, I bought the original Tomb Raider, tried to load it and DosBox popped up and glitched the whole thing up.

So now I fear that whenever steam gets a retro game in the store, I’m going to buy them and not be able to play them. I want to uninstall DosBox because I know I’m not going to be playing games on desktop mode, so I don’t have a use for it.

DosFreak wrote:
What is "console mode"? What are these "older games"? List them. What do you mean by "everything glitches"? If everything glitch […]
Show full quote

What is "console mode"?
What are these "older games"? List them.
What do you mean by "everything glitches"? If everything glitches then you are in a simulation and have other things to worry about.

Windows 8+ does not support DOS games anymore unless you are running 32bit Windows and are playing the few that can play in a window.

There is no "risk" the games will not work unless you use an emulator to play them. DOSBox is the arguably the best solution, the only other would be pcem. Currently everything else for Windows for DOS games is not worth using except for specific use cases.

Reply 11 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More than likely console mode is Steam Big Picture and the games that are using DOSBox on Steam are using an old version and aren't configured properly. If you don't want to bother with configuring them properly (assuming it's a DOSBox issue) then you need to contact Steam and/or the game publisher or developer.

If it's not big picture but some Alienware program then Alienware needs to test their program.

Stay away from DOS games on Steam. They usually use old DOSBox versions, default or wrong DOSBox configurations and other issues so if you don't want to configure them to run properly then you are SOL. If you are going to buy DOS games then buy them from GOG. While not perfect even there they are light years ahead of the games on Steam and can actually be contacted to fix the games.

Occasionally the lazy game devs\publishers will provide the GOG versions on Steam but they aren't updated as often like the GOG versions are.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The steam games come with their own bundled dosbox in them and will use it to run.
If they cause issues with your system contact the game's support.
The fact that at some time you installed dosbox has nothing to do with those games and how they run and glitch.
Contact the game support, it is their problem.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 18, by DosUnistaller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:
The steam games come with their own bundled dosbox in them and will use it to run. If they cause issues with your system contac […]
Show full quote

The steam games come with their own bundled dosbox in them and will use it to run.
If they cause issues with your system contact the game's support.
The fact that at some time you installed dosbox has nothing to do with those games and how they run and glitch.
Contact the game support, it is their problem.

I installed DosBox myself to run other games. I don’t play those games so I don’t care if I have DosBox anymore. It’s messing with other games, so I want to uninstall it and see if they work.

Reply 16 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosUnistaller wrote:

I installed DosBox myself to run other games. I don’t play those games so I don’t care if I have DosBox anymore. It’s messing with other games, so I want to uninstall it and see if they work.

You don't understand how this works. These games require DOSBox to run. The issue is that DOSBox is being misconfigured somewhere.

If you somehow surgically remove DOSBox from the game's files, attempting to run it will probably result in a "dosbox.exe not found" or something.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 17 of 18, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dosbox is not installed. It runs as a portable executable.

When you launch your game that depends on dosbox, it calls the dosbox.exe with some arguments. To remove dosbox all you have to do is remove the executable.

If you don't play the game, then dosbox will have no effect on your system. Uninstalling the game and removing dosbox are functionally similar.

However, and excuse me for being accusatory, this smells like a troll post. So given all the information in this and other posts, I think you have all the information you need. If this still isn't clear to you now I don't think it ever will be.