VOGONS

P3-V5-XP Double the power

Topic actions

First post, by ZeCHoW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey retro lovers 😀
I am reading this form for couple of years already, and I must say that I love it.
I have build myself 2 retro machines, 3rd is in the building, the 4th one is waiting in the drawer.

1st one is Win98 with Pentium II 450mhz, 256mb memory, 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000/3500 (didn't decide yet) and Sound Blaster Live.

2nd one is Win98/WinXp Pentium III 1400mhz, 512mb memory, radeon 8500 128mb and Sound Blaster Live with front panel.

3rd one is WinXp 2x Pentium III 1000mhz, 1gb memory, 3dfx Voodoo 5 and Sound Blaster Live.

4th one will be WinXp Pentium IV 3.8ghz, 2gb memory, Radeon x850xt pe or Radeon 1950xtx, Sound Blaster Fatality with front panel.

I will write topic with additional info of each of one with some pictures and maybe game play videos.

I this topic I will give more info about 3rd computer. I must say that I am dreaming about this one for a long time. Somehow having computer with 2 CPUs, 2 GPUs and 2 HDD in RAID0 running one WinXp is the coolest think for me 😀

Specs:
MSI 694D pro2 ver2
Intel Pentium III 1000EB 256 Cache, 133 Mhz x2
4x 256 MB PC 133
3dfx Voodoo5 5500 64MB AGP 2x
2x Segate Baracuda 40GB 7200rpm RAID0
1x Segate Baracuda 160GB 7200rpm
Floppy 1.44 MB (3.5")
DVD-RW
Enermax 405W
2x 80mm on CPUs
1x 120mm Input
1x 120mm Output
Enermax case

Motherboard
24611510.jpg

CPU
24611511.jpg

The main beast 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500.
24611509.jpg

BUT!
I am having troubles with completing RAID 0 on 2 Segates. I don't see any HDDs in bios settings. In the software for creating RAID I see only one disk.
I updated BIOS of the motherboard to the last version, vired two HDDs on separate IDE cables on two separate PATA connectors on the motherboard. I tried setting jumbers od the HDDs to Master/Slave/Cable select, but nothing helped.
Do you guys have any clues what could go wrong? Are disks to big, has motherboard broken RAID chip?
24611514.jpg

The second question is: is it possible to connect 5.25" floppy drive on this motherboard?
24611512.jpg
24611513.jpg

Thank you very much for any help! 😀

Reply 1 of 26, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, maybe your Mobo doesn't have raid support. See https://www.anandtech.com/show/816/12
By the user manual, you must have the Promise 20265R chip near the IDE's connectors and it is optional, I think that only the version PRO2-R has it. I can see a chip in you post picture of the mobo, but I cant read it. Look for the R in it

Reply 3 of 26, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! Yes that one. You should be able to configure raid after post. My Mobo, not that one, display a message to hit F3 to configure raid. My is stripped option. Xp loading times are awesome

Reply 5 of 26, by ZeCHoW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@jcarvalho Do you have PATA Raid? How did you configure jumpers on HDDs?

@an81 what about if I stay with Creative and play Half Life with EAX or smtng? 😀 Do you have any videos how different looks Half Life with truform compare with default video settings?

Reply 7 of 26, by an81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZeCHoW wrote:

what about if I stay with Creative and play Half Life with EAX or smtng? 😀 Do you have any videos how different looks Half Life with truform compare with default video settings?

Nothing wrong with EAX, I beat HL on RivaTNT 2 32mb the first time I played it without EAX or A3D and enjoyed it immensely nonetheless, it's just that if you have a one of a kind gpu supporting in hardware a curious deprecated feature, you may as well augment your experience with another very forward-looking piece of game-engine tech (way more forward-looking than truform I guess), and you can enjoy both in such a classic as HL. Besides, EAX has been around for a lot longer, A3D got suffocated very quickly, Win98 feature only from I can gather, thus more retro.

Do you have any videos how different looks Half Life with truform compare with default video settings?

Try it out yourself. I may post Gunman Chronicles screenshots later.

Reply 11 of 26, by ZeCHoW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still can't achieve RAID0. I am gonna show you couple of print screens, if that can help you see my problem...

At start screen there is no sign of the HDDs.
24616560.jpg

Same in BIOS
24616558.jpg

At next screen computer start scanning for HDDs.
24616561.jpg

And says that....
24616562.jpg

If I wait a little more, it suggest to me to press CTRL+F
When I do that I come to screen where I should define RAID0, but I only see one HDD.
24616563.jpg

So if anyone has an clue what is going on here I would be very happy 😀

Reply 12 of 26, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there are a few options in bios that sound like they could have something to do with this; also the cpu is faster than what is p[rovided as max in one manual i found - try downclocking and check again?

Reply 13 of 26, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This Promise knowledgebase link https://tinyurl.com/y4njpncf implies a resource conflict with the motherboard / add-in devices. Having updated the bios, maybe you could try the 'Load Fail-Safe Defaults' option on the bios menu. Also, remove any add-in PCI / AGP cards and use the most basic vga card you've got.

From setting up similar boards with this Promise raid chip, I'd have been trying the following

160GB Seagate, set as master or cable select, on IDE1 (it doesn't say on the MSI website but I'm assuming 48-bit LBA bios support for a drive this size)
optical drive, set as master or cable select, on IDE2

40GB Seagate, set as master or cable select, on IDE3
40GB Seagate, set as master or cable select, on IDE4

All 3 hard disks should have proper 80-wire, 40-pin ATA cables and the two raid disks should be completely blank ie no old partition/mbr records.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else you could try. There is a later FastTrak100 bios than the one your on, but all it adds is support for 48-bit LBA disk members and you'd have to patch it in manually.

Reply 14 of 26, by ZeCHoW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Huh tnx man!! I got it working. I think what helped was loading safe/failed defaults in bios.
I hope when Windows will be installed I can set BIOS to performance mode and add as many PCI cards as I want?

Reply 17 of 26, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you installing / booting XP off the single 160GB Seagate or the 80GB Promise raid array?

Have you checked the boot device order is correct in 'Advanced Bios Features' (entries for both ATA/100 & SCSI and First, Second, Third)?

How are you setting up the Promise raid drivers for XP - using F6 during the text mode installation phase or later once XP is installed?

Which version number of the Promise XP drivers are you using?

Also, don't worry about the Stripe Block Size - the 64KB default is fine for general use.

Reply 18 of 26, by ZeCHoW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I unplugged 160GB Seagate. I installed fresh copy of WinXp on 80GB Promise raid array. I used F6 so the installation later requested RAID driver (if I didn't, there was no HDD to select). I chose that version "Microsoft Windows XP miniport driver 2.00.09 (Build 10)".

I don't know the "right" settings in BIOS under 'Advanced Bios Features'. What I chose is 1st HDD0 and 2nd CD-ROM. I there anythink else?

The error is thrown just after Windows Xp starts to load (there is WinXp loading screen, so ther are booted from RAID0).

Reply 19 of 26, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The entry for ATA/100 & SCSI should be set to ATA,SCSI (which it probably already is, as the default value)

The entry for First Boot Device should be set to SCSI and you can leave Second Boot Device as CD-ROM. I'll also assume Third Boot Device is set to something other than an HDD and that Boot Other Device is Enabled.

There is a newer version of the driver for your bios version (V2.00 b18) which you could try https://www.promise.com/DownloadFile.aspx?Dow … oadFileUID=3163