VOGONS

First post, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Finally, I think I got something, Do you want to check if it is working ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgMyHuRRPJw

FreddyV

Reply 1 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh dear...
Now I'm waiting for somebody to install in such a machine some SVGA card with hardware BitBlt (and maybe some other functions), and run some software that makes use of them.
And then use both SVGA and GUS at the same time!

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 2 of 6, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote:

Oh dear...
Now I'm waiting for somebody to install in such a machine some SVGA card with hardware BitBlt (and maybe some other functions), and run some software that makes use of them.
And then use both SVGA and GUS at the same time!

You already can 😊 . My IBM XT clone has a built in trident SVGA card. I don't see any reason why you couldn't get SB 16 or general MIDI to work, although I haven't tried it yet. And a 4.77mhz processor is technically fast enough to (somewhat masochistically) run point and click adventure games like Secret of Monkey Island.

Reply 3 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

You already can 😊 . My IBM XT clone has a built in trident SVGA card.

Trident chipsets for ISA aren't accelerated, can't do anything special with them.
With an accelerated chipset, however, it might be possible to do smooth animation despite the slow CPU.
Just imagine: a game in 640x480x8bpp, and multichannel sample-based sound, running smoothly with a 4.77 MHz CPU...

Come to think of it, there's a game with good chances to run on an XT-class machine with GUS: Pinball Fantasies.
Requires 286, but doesn't seem to use protected mode or extended memory, so perhaps it could be patched for 8088, or at least V20 ?
It's video makes use of hardware features, like scrolling and palette, so probably not too heavy for 8088/V20. And it's just tweaked VGA, no need for an accelerated SVGA here.
The only CPU-intensive thing about that game is MOD music, but with a GUS, no problem!

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 6, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to try it, you should be able to use DMA for transfers, as long as you have the card configured to use an 8-bit channel.

Your video shows 16000 Hz in the bottom lefthand corner of the display. What is being done at 16 kHz?

Reply 5 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ModMaster looks amazing. Is it already available for download? Would love to try it out! I only have SB compatible cards, no GUS, but would like to try it on my 386.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 6 of 6, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your video shows 16000 Hz in the bottom lefthand corner of the display. What is being done at 16 kHz?

I did not remove the code displaying the mixing Frequency. It can be ignored, it is 44KHz of course.

Just started to code a little more and I have problems with GUS Stereo under DOSBox, strange…
Now that GUS is working, I need to compress the partition to be able to load bigger modules (I Really need to play DOPE.MOD)