VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, is there a way to cap the framerate while the game runs in software mode? NVIDIA Control Panel doesn't work unless the game is in "Primary Display Driver" but the problem is that even with FPS capped the game still crashes randomly during missions while in software mode this doesn't happen, yet the game runs too fast and it screws up the physics (npcs fly up in the air etc).

Trident Cyber 9525DVD Test, Review and supported games list

Reply 1 of 2, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

RivaTuner Statistic Server may work
this site says "RTSS is a CPU-level FPS limiter, and introduces up to 1 frame of delay,"
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-in … nd-settings/12/

read this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechwarrior/comments … irates_moon_in/

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 2, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick little update - this will work for any older game that can run in software mode. I managed to run MechWarrior 3 without any mods whatsoever in software mode on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system with AMD FX-8120 running at 3.1 Ghz without the physics glitching up and apcs flying in the air and other common glitches. Here's how:

- By experience, I know that the game really likes CPUs with 800 to 1100 Mhz (Had an Athlon XP in this range) so all I did was reduce the power of my cpu in windows power management until it was running at around 1 Ghz. The game ran at around 60 fps, but it was really designed to run at 30 fps, so further power reducing was needed - I reduced my CPU's power down to only 10% and the game ran at stable 30 fps - again no crashes, none of the common problems that others reported on forums and pcgamingwiki.

I'm posting this just as an alternative to running a wrapper, I never personally trust those things, especially when half of virustotal goes nuts when scanning the dll file.

TLDR: Have latest MW3 patch, reduce CPU power via windows power management until you get your cpu speed between 800 and 1100 mhz then run the game in software mode. No need to fiddle in BIOS to adjust power. I can post a very detailed info on how to do this if needed 😀

Trident Cyber 9525DVD Test, Review and supported games list