VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK my 1.5 year old (I could cry.....) 4K 43" LG is turning blue. Is it depressed?!

First noticed a few months ago a slight blue tinge at the top of the screen on the right (IPS panel btw). It slowly grew like bacteria in a petri dish, spreading downward to the lower part of the screen. Then another colony of blue appeared in the top left corner, which is also growing. 2 months on and it's getting worse.

Anyone have a diagnosis? And also suggest a fix? I checked and the TV had 1 year parts + labour so I'm screwed there. First LG TV ever to go wrong for me, the 32" in the spare room just turned 10 and still works fine, as does my parents and my ex partners.

Need to figure out a fix before it turns entirely blue...

Model is an LG 43-UJ670V 4K UHD HDR

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 1 of 12, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know what country you're in but have a read on what consumer protection law might apply. Even if it's not a blanket 2 year minimum warranty on electronics, you may have something like "fit for purpose" where you would reasonably expect a correctly used TV to last longer than 18 months.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 2 of 12, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Absolutely. I mean it cost me £400 just 18 months ago. I immediately went to the paperwork and the LG page ( I bought it through ao.com ) and all I read was 1 year warranty. I figured I was up shit creek without a paddle then. Maybe I should give ao.com a call.

I saved for an entire year to get this damn TV! It was the only precious thing I owned. Bladerunner and Conan The Barbarian looked amazing at 4K! Now they just look BLUE! 🙁

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 4 of 12, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll assume you're in the UK, know your rights:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regul … umer-rights-act

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 5 of 12, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BushLin wrote:

He has the right to pay for repairs or return in the first 6 months
Got it

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/445366/Wh … ave+a+blue+tint

Last edited by rmay635703 on 2019-07-12, 03:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 12, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rmay635703 wrote:
BushLin wrote:

Got it

I don't think you got it at all.
The start of this (semi random, NSFW) link seems appropriate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkC45z4UXVc

Reply 7 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote:
BushLin wrote:

Got it

Six months or more If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at […]
Show full quote

Six months or more
If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time you took ownership of it.

In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range.

Find out more about how to return a faulty item and claim a refund, repair or replacement from a retailer.

You have six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland.

This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product.

Cliff notes: Have up to six years, but you have to either have proof that it was faulty when you got it or that the product range is known for similar problems.

As for me, I refuse to buy anything LG after the debacle with the LG G4 and similar phones would die right after the warranty ended. No protections like that in the USA.

My LG G4 just shut off one day while I was using it. Had two family members that had similar problems with their LG phones within a 2 month timeframe that mine died.

Now that is a crappy product/company.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 12, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are also EU laws in this matter and UK is still part of it:

"EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees."

This means that even though manufacturer gives you a 1 year warranty some products (TV's, computers etc. ) are expected to last longer than that and HAVE to be fixed by the retailer/manufacturer.

Reply 9 of 12, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sf78 wrote:

There are also EU laws in this matter and UK is still part of it:

"EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees."

This means that even though manufacturer gives you a 1 year warranty some products (TV's, computers etc. ) are expected to last longer than that and HAVE to be fixed by the retailer/manufacturer.

You wound think so but it was never written into UK law, we had the Sale of Goods Act 1979 which was replaced by the similar Consumer Rights Act 2015 yet the two year stipulation is nowhere to be found. In practice, at somewhere like John Lewis, M&S or Robert Dyas you have a 6 year warranty but a harder time with stores who want to make it hard.
If you know the law and sound like you'll actually take them to the small claims court if they're unreasonable, they'll usually just replace it rather than face those additional costs. You don't actually have to take them to court, just record details of all correspondence and do a chargeback through your debit/credit card provider, get your money back and put the burden of proof back on the seller.

Reply 10 of 12, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had a LG-50UH5530 model for (2) years running so far OK, it replaced a Vizio "crap trap" that only lasted 18 months if that.

Seems like the industry as a whole needs a reboot. If they're generally only offering a (1) year warranty then that there shows
they don't have much confidence in their products. That being said, what brand is "rock" solid if any?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 11 of 12, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ones that aren't under pressure from consumers wanting a 3D 4K HDR 85" screen with an integrated iPad app library for $500. Apparently nobody is willing to pay for quality anymore, so there's no market for it. Instead you get Kickstarters for $100 products that are rebadged trinkets from Aliexpress with a well-shot ad video.

Reply 12 of 12, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Agreed that it did cross my mind when buying this TV that it was cheap for the spec! which was similar to TV's from Sony and Panasonic costing closer to £600. I honestly only had £400 to spend. At £350 (had a 10% off code for AO) I thought this LG was a bargain and I'd never had an issue with the brand, I bought it. Didn't pay for the extended warranty because 1) couldn't afford it and 2) figured a brand new TV will last at least 3-4 years, worst case scenario! I checked my date of purchase and it was April 2018, so it's actually just 15 months ago.

Wondering how much it will cost me to replace the LED strip lights. I'll guess it won't be cheap, it's not exactly a starter board is it? Better call my friend Raj at TotalFix and find out! 🙁