VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29440 of 52354, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

got this for 1€ off ebay... (and paid 29€ for shipping 😵)

hardware06.jpg
Filename
hardware06.jpg
File size
167.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

it's missing a power switch which I presume was attached to the PSU that got removed, but I should have a nice fitting red lever switch laying around somewhere.
probably going to house my first PC (It was an ARC 386s, unfortunately the motherboard and the MFM drive are the only pieces I have left, and the original case is going to be pretty much impossible to find)

also got this nice beige 21" 1600x1200 4:3 tft

hardware07.jpg
Filename
hardware07.jpg
File size
143.69 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 29441 of 52354, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

I hope you have one of the accompanying Yamaha MIDI keyboards, because they won't work with a normal MIDI keyboard:

https://www.msx.org/wiki/Yamaha_SFG-01

The YK-20 full-sized keyboard. Not much more than a matrix of switches, but has an awesome look.

Yk20_small.jpg
Filename
Yk20_small.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 29442 of 52354, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote:
got this for 1€ off ebay... (and paid 29€ for shipping :dead:) […]
Show full quote

hardware06.jpg

it's missing a power switch which I presume was attached to the PSU that got removed, but I should have a nice fitting red lever switch laying around somewhere.
probably going to house my first PC (It was an ARC 386s, unfortunately the motherboard and the MFM drive are the only pieces I have left, and the original case is going to be pretty much impossible to find)

also got this nice beige 21" 1600x1200 4:3 tft

hardware07.jpg

That is a gorgeous case, congrats !!!

Reply 29443 of 52354, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thanks, I almost did get a second one almost exactly like it (same case, but folding legs instead of the pedestal), it was a whole system though and I got outbid in the end unfortunately.

Reply 29444 of 52354, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, today was a pretty magical day. One of the Moscow's largest PC collectors hosted a meetup in Yandex's headquarters, so I've decided to attend. There was also a small museum of Soviet computers and various PCs and other machines, so I played around with everything I could get my hands on. Feeling inspired, I've decided to get a big haul of computers that was not far from my home. This is what I've got:

RIkc6zem.jpg

So, it's a Compaq Presario 460 and Compaq Prolinea Net 1/33S. They are 486 all-in-ones, pretty limited, but I love these machines. Used to have a 425, but sold it and now I feel that I need them once again. I haven't tested them yet, they are still drying after the initial wash-up (they've been kept in a very dirty basement).

The most important thing is on the right, actually. It's a Mac Quadra 630 in pretty bad condition, and I grabbed it just because I could. I've never had a retro Mac, wasn't interested in them, and I've thought that I would swap this machine with someone. However, when I've opened it, I got a huge surprise:

VymkQTYm.jpg

It's a DOS-compatible Quadra. It has two CPUs, a 33 MHz Motorola without FPU for running Mac OS and a DX2-66 for running DOS. This is honestly the only kind of a retro Mac I've ever been interested in. I feel really lucky.

d5SEcs4m.jpg

This machine actually has a Vibra chip with true OPL3, so DOS should have sound! I wonder if the Mac part has a separate sound chip. There are a couple of Mac games I'm actually interested to run, namely Super Wing Commander. Hope the 33 MHz CPU will be enough for that.

Soooo, guess I'll have to find an ADB mouse, a keyboard and a DB15 to VGA adapter, because I definitely want to play with this Mac.

Update: everything works!

7OcJv2Am.jpg

I've also plugged a power supply in the Mac, heard the famous Mac startup chime and disks spinning, so I guess I can proceed with restoring this machine. This will probably be a long but interesting project.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2019-07-13, 11:10. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 29445 of 52354, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote:

Where are you located? I am searching for my 1St PC and it was a 286 Desktop branded "Random Computers". I assume its a German Company?

Reply 29446 of 52354, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought it from germany, yes, so maybe, the other near identical case was branded "e&s" so I guess it's just a generic case that was used by different system builders.

I'm going to keep the case badge on cause I find the name amusing ^^

Reply 29447 of 52354, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I also think they used generic cases. I can post some pictures of cases I have seen from that label so far tomorrow. Unfortunately I missed that 1 EUR offer at Ebay...congratulations 😎

Reply 29448 of 52354, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Between retro and modern at around 13 years old. It arrived... just in time for my AMD FX-60 + Crossfire X1950XTX build.

akBXfQFh.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 29449 of 52354, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought these in one package this week at a local online auction for some 7.5 USD. Decent deal, all working fine although a bit dusty. The Mobo's baterry is dead. It all seems to come from a single computer

MB - PCCHIPS M571
CPU - AMD K6-2 333 MHz - AMD-K6-2/333AFR
RAM - 32MB (2MBx8 SDRAM) and64MB 133Mhz SDRAM
HDD ST34313A
USB Edimax EU-CV4N PCI
SOUND ESS AudioDrive 230X-3 ES1868F
VGA S3 VIRGE 86C325 4MB PCI

20190713_195250.jpg
Filename
20190713_195250.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
20190713_195421.jpg
Filename
20190713_195421.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 29450 of 52354, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Asus CUV4X-D... the pdf manual doesnt say anything about tualatin cpus, specifically up to 1400S, but figure i'd give it a go since i saw a person on YT put together a system with them both detected and working just fine using XP, if it works for me with just the one 1400S i have already, then i'll have to get another.

I'll be using this strickly with WINXP and only going to install 3gb(3x1gb) out of the 4gb(4x1gb) thats supported. As for a proper power supply, i've already got that covered, i've had since new, an enermax 550w v1.2 with 36a on the +5v rail that has the 20pin motherboard power connector and the auxilary 6pin power connector as well, and as you can see, this motherboard has the auxilary connector as well.

Attachments

• asus 1.jpg
    Filename
    asus 1.jpg
    File size
    634.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • asus 2.jpg
    Filename
    asus 2.jpg
    File size
    175.65 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 29451 of 52354, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bige4u wrote:

Asus CUV4X-D... the pdf manual doesnt say anything about tualatin cpus, specifically up to 1400S, but figure i'd give it a go since i saw a person on YT put together a system with them both detected and working just fine using XP, if it works for me with just the one 1400S i have already, then i'll have to get another.

I'll be using this strickly with WINXP and only going to install 3gb(3x1gb) out of the 4gb(4x1gb) thats supported. As for a proper power supply, i've already got that covered, i've had since new, an enermax 550w v1.2 with 36a on the +5v rail that has the 20pin motherboard power connector and the auxilary 6pin power connector as well, and as you can see, this motherboard has the auxilary connector as well.

IIRC there are multiple revisions of that board. Only some of which support Tualatin.
This is a common thing among boards up until the Pentium 4 era. Always check the board revision regardless. On the reverseside sometimes revisions are only superficial and will infact support CPU's they don't or can be flashed to support other CPUS (There are ALOT of OEM boards that can be flashed to a retail counterpart)

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 29452 of 52354, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a Sega Genesis Nomad at a local video game store that sells consoles, games, and accessories from the Atari 2600 to Xbox 360.

E7nlrGOl.jpg

Planning on upgrading the LCD sometime and get a battery pack for it as well to play Genesis games on the go.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29453 of 52354, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Bought a Sega Genesis Nomad at a local video game store that sells consoles, games, and accessories from the Atari 2600 to Xbox 360.

Planning on upgrading the LCD sometime and get a battery pack for it as well to play Genesis games on the go.

So Nomad has the same capacitors/resistor problem like the Game Gear?

I waiting for my slotket.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 29454 of 52354, by bishopcop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

XkoakUs.jpg

A few workstation level 3D accelerators:
Intergraph Intense 3D Wildcat 4000, Intergraph Intense 3D Pro 2200
FirePRo V7900(this one is fairly modern comparatively), 3Dlabs Oxygen GVX420
Diamond Fire GL1, another Intergraph Intense 3D Pro 2200
ATI Fire GL X3(same as a Radeon X800 Pro), ATI Fire GL4, ELSA GLoria-XL

Most of these only accelerate OpenGL and not Direct3D, the Wildcat 4000 is the fastest accelerator that works with 3D Studio Max 1.0. Max 1.0 did not have OpenGL or Direct3D because they were not available at the time (1994-95) in windows so it has it's own API(Heidi) plus it works natively with Glint hardware. In that case the Gloria-XL works natively with Max 1.0.

Reply 29455 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:
Bought a Sega Genesis Nomad at a local video game store that sells consoles, games, and accessories from the Atari 2600 to Xbox […]
Show full quote

E7nlrGOl.jpg

Ah, yes. That thing sucks nuclear reactors dry in a matter of hours. Cool device though.

Reply 29456 of 52354, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lot of S3 trio64 PCI video cards.

Attachments

Reply 29457 of 52354, by heckyeah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bige4u wrote:

I've got a Rev 1.03 just like that and mine works fine with the Korean Ebay pinmodded Tualatins. The latest bios doesn't have the Tualatin microcodes so the post screen misreports the name but otherwise, mine have been working completely stable overclocked.

Reply 29458 of 52354, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
heckyeah wrote:
Bige4u wrote:

I've got a Rev 1.03 just like that and mine works fine with the Korean Ebay pinmodded Tualatins. The latest bios doesn't have the Tualatin microcodes so the post screen misreports the name but otherwise, mine have been working completely stable overclocked.

Hmmm interesting. I have a TUV4X with a Tualatin 1200 but also the CUV4X with a P3-1000 I believe. I am going to check which revision it is. It would be nice to have a spare one for my Tualatin build.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 29459 of 52354, by stalk3r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always wanted a 430HX board back in the day, but since those had carried a hefty price tag, I could not get one. Until now 😀 This comes with RAM, a P200 MMX and a cache module installed. Guess it will make a decent rig for DOS.

DDSEcpF.jpg