VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am building a mATX Win98 system using a mobo based on Via Apollo Pro 133 (VT82C693A) and a Voodoo3 3000 AGP. Everything seems to install up to the point of the Voodoo drivers, after which when I boot up and open windows explorer, the system freezes.

Via 4in1 435v
Voodoo3 driver 1.07 WHQL
Win98 SE

I tried with/without the AGP driver from the 4in1 pack.

Bad mobo/card or both? Anything else to try?

Reply 2 of 7, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I tried everything, the only consistent result was when the 3dfx drivers are installed, the system hangs.

Then I tried a PCI voodoo3, a AGP voodoo banshee and than another AGP voodoo3, and they all worked!

So clearly it was the card, which is unfortunate as it was a NIB/NOS model with a stock fan on the heatsink (which I have never seen before on a v3). It did not show any of the common signs of a faulty card though (banding, artifacts), so I am hoping that just this card did not get along well with this particular motherboard. Now I need to find a way to cool this other v3 in a case I was hoping to be near silent...

Last edited by kolderman on 2019-07-13, 10:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice card, there was a guy who tried using a heat gun on an identical card, lucky for him it worked great. Can't you test the card on another system?

Reply 6 of 7, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now thats what 3DFX should have done with all their Voodoo3 cards from the git go.... adding a fan to a heatsink that got blistering hot while in use, gaming or not, the Voodoo4/5 cards had fans.

Btw.... use v4.43 4in1 driver for the via apollo pro 133 chipsets, i happen to have an Aopen AX64 motherboard running an actual 1ghz/133 slot 1 processor, not sloket with that same chipset, and the driver i mentioned work great.

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 7 of 7, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aaronkatrini wrote:

Nice card, there was a guy who tried using a heat gun on an identical card, lucky for him it worked great. Can't you test the card on another system?

I will when I get a chance, I am currently focused on building out this current system. I have a good feeling though as it was a system crash after installing drivers on a Via chipset (not screen corruption)...my experience with the latter leads me to suspect it's the chipset not the VGA.