VOGONS

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

(Cross-posting from VCF):

I've finally started dumping a rather sizable pile of floppies, which date back from my family's first no-name XT clone (~'87 or so). The first batch turned up a copy of the TSR attached here, which is related to the video adapter.

One thing I don't really know is what video adapter we actually had in there, so that's what I'm hoping to find out. I had a look into what the program actually does, so my IDA-assisted disassembly is included too.

What I remember:

• The card was CGA-compatible (at the hardware level, since it ran the usual suspects like Digger and Round 42)
  • The monitor was monochrome, but displayed true 200-line CGA video (in shades of green)
  • 80-column text mode was CGA-like by default (200 scanlines, 8x8 characters)
  • However, the card could *also* display sharp MDA-style text on the same monitor (80x25 text only; no Hercules graphics or anything)
  • "ST100A" was the program that let you switch between the CGA-like and MDA-like text display.

What ST100A.COM actually appears to do:

• Writes 40h to port 3DDh
  • Sets up an alternate Video Parameter Table, points INT 1Dh at it, then sets video mode 2 (B&W 80x25 text)
  • Installs its own handlers for INT 09h and INT 10h (keyboard and video), then terminates & stays resident
  • You can then hit Alt+[, Alt+], or Alt+/ to control the behavior of text mode.

Looks like "normal" CGA text mode requires sending 00h to port 3DDh, restoring the default Video Parameter Table, then setting mode 2 or 3. Writing 40h to that port (and setting up the alternate VPT) gets you the MDA-type mode instead.
If that's right, then Alt+[ sets up CGA text, Alt+] sets up MDA text, and Alt+/ flips between the two. (The keyboard handler also watches for Ctrl+Alt+Del, and sets up CGA text again before the warm boot.)

There's some other stuff in there too, like cursor handling; but it seems like port 3DDh may be the key here, since it's non-standard.

It's a long shot, but given all that - does anyone have a clue what hardware this was meant for, exactly? 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    ST100A.zip
    File size
    2.73 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1 of 5, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it writes 40h to port 3ddh for this purpose, that rules out Plantronics ColorPlus compatibility.
Bit 6 of port 3ddh would control page swapping of the red/green and blue/intensity pages on such cards.

Your card can therefore not be based on one of these chip sets:

• Paradise PVC4
  • ATI CW16800-A
  • ATI CW16800-B
  • ATI 18700

I don't think that a manufacturer would have broken backwards compatibility by including the relatively obscure Plantronics modes, so it's presumably neither an ATI card nor a Paradise card.

Reply 2 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I figured as much (the only relevant web result that mentioned port 3DDh was John Elliott's Plantronics ColorPlus page). 😀 Thanks for the info on specific chipsets, in any case.

I guess the only way to find out for sure is through software/documentation that mentions the specific card... which is quite a long shot.

Reply 4 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would rather associate the "ST" with STB, they had various graphics cards in the era, see eg. STB Systems ISA 8bit Bard

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only STB cards from that time-frame I'm aware of are the Graphix Plus I/II (CGA+Herc workalikes with extensions) and Chauffeur (extended mono graphics)... doesn't sound like either of those.

Curiously another diskette turned up some utilities that came with a Tecmar Graphics Master, but that one doesn't fit either - more advanced than what we had, and uses a different port. (The data on it tells me it was a work disk created by someone before we had that PC, anyway...)

BTW: it's worth mentioning that the "mystery" card apparently had no onboard BIOS extension, and identified itself as CGA (according to the program it sets up the MDA-like display for modes 2 and 3, not mode 7). As far as I can remember, it still used CGA-like attributes in that mode.