Topic actions

Reply 20 of 39, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@stalk3r:

You're not the only one 🤣

It pretty much depends on your luck to find the one special CPU.

I'm also after 200Mhz mark and have tested quite a few AMD 5x86-133 cpus... and only one shows POST screen at 200Mhz and freezes... but runs stable at 180Mhz (3x60). In the mean time I bought many 5x86-133 cpus but haven't tested them yet... I run them at 4V. Maybe should even try 5V for a short time...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 21 of 39, by stalk3r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:
@stalk3r: […]
Show full quote

@stalk3r:

I'm also after 200Mhz mark and have tested quite a few AMD 5x86-133 cpus... and only one shows POST screen at 200Mhz and freezes... but runs stable at 180Mhz (3x60). In the mean time I bought many 5x86-133 cpus but haven't tested them yet... I run them at 4V. Maybe should even try 5V for a short time...

Apparently I was naive thinking that my ADZ is the one 😀. I also tried at 4V to no avail. At least I know now that my VLB setup is stable at 50 Mhz FSB, a good foundation for future attempts.

Reply 22 of 39, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:
Show full quote

@stalk3r:

do you have a thread about your 180mhz? I would be interested to read more about it and perhaps some benchmark numbers

Reply 23 of 39, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I did not find much of a performance increase going from 133mhz to 160mhz.
So the performance increase is going to 200mhz will be marginal.

The bump from 133 to 160 on the retired 5x86 I had from work back in the days, when my main rig was a Celery 300A@450, a just what was necessary to play music from WinAmp 😎

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 24 of 39, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amadeus777999 wrote:

I have mine(ADZ) booting at 200 and working at 180(tested thoroughly without any error in DOS and Windows).
It runs at 180 with just 3.6V and no voltage enables it to run with 200...

What is the datecode on that ADZ chip? Is it stable running games in Windows? How many chips did you need to try to find one that worked at 180 MHz?

Garrett W wrote:

Instead of a 5x86 at 200, if you want to get your fast 486 dose, you can always try a Cyrix MediaGX. I happen to have a MediaGXm 266 that runs happily at 300MHz, made for some interesting comparisons with a Pentium 133 :).

Is there a thread on this? Which motherboard are you using for this? None of my 266's would run at 300 MHz stable. I had the use the GX1-300.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 25 of 39, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
treeman wrote:
kixs wrote:
Show full quote

@stalk3r:

do you have a thread about your 180mhz? I would be interested to read more about it and perhaps some benchmark numbers

Here you go:
486 max

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 26 of 39, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
Garrett W wrote:

Instead of a 5x86 at 200, if you want to get your fast 486 dose, you can always try a Cyrix MediaGX. I happen to have a MediaGXm 266 that runs happily at 300MHz, made for some interesting comparisons with a Pentium 133 😀.

Is there a thread on this? Which motherboard are you using for this? None of my 266's would run at 300 MHz stable. I had the use the GX1-300.

No thread, I just happened to get my hands on a board with that CPU and it ran happily at that frequency. 333Mhz unfortunately wasn't stable. I had a fun few days trying out different games, somewhat hilarious that you can run Outcast and The Longest Journey on this 486 class CPU, but you can't a Pentium Pro 200 (or at 233 on specific mobos) due to the lack of MMX! Some quick numbers that I scribbled at the time:

Quake 1 (demo1/demo2):

320x200:

266MHz : 24fps/25fps
Optimized BIOS settings : 27.5fps/28.6fps
300MHz + Optimized : 31fps/32fps

640x480:

266MHz : 10fps/11fps
Optimized : 11fps/12fps
300MHz + Optimized : 12fps/13.5fps

GLQuake (Voodoo2 12MB, 640x480):

266MHz: 34fps/36.5fps
Optimized: 38fps/40fps
300MHz + Optimized: 41.5 fps/44fps

Reply 29 of 39, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stalk3r wrote:

Apparently I was naive thinking that my ADZ is the one 😀. I also tried at 4V to no avail.

That ADZ thing seems to be a common misunderstanding anyway. I have an ADW that runs fine at 160 MHz and doesn't get hot. Then I have an ADZ which doesn't even POST at 160 MHz. The ADZ (later produced as BGC and still used today) was made for industrial use and can work without (or a failed) fan, since it takes higher temperatures. But this has no relation to overclocking. If the transistors inside can't handle higher speeds, temperature resistance is completely mood. It's not that the CPU jumps from 20°C to 100°C in the moment you turn on power.

Reply 30 of 39, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can tell you what. Many AMD 5x86 can do 160MHz. That's a common knowledge. Maybe 1 out of 20 can do 180MHz (3x60). Only 1 out of 100 can do 200MHz with air cooling and a voltage increase. Must have a lot of luck.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 31 of 39, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The K5 was a beast, it might even be faster than the K6 clock for clock, but it's a hot chip so it never reached the speeds of the fastest K6s. The major issue was that it was released too late. If it had been one or two years earlier, it could have become a very successful chip.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 32 of 39, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ph4nt0m wrote:

I can tell you what. Many AMD 5x86 can do 160MHz. That's a common knowledge. Maybe 1 out of 20 can do 180MHz (3x60). Only 1 out of 100 can do 200MHz with air cooling and a voltage increase. Must have a lot of luck.

Today I had time to play with my new PCChips M912 and the best 5x86 I've found. This is the best among, I don't know, few dozens and I knew that it seemed stable at 160MHz and stock voltage even in a board with bulging caps (which I repaired since then).

It seems that it can take 180MHz at 4V. It boots at 3.3V too but if I exercise it for a while it finally hangs, especially with Blood. There are no other voltage options on this board save for 5V which I'd rather not try for long enough to run benchmarks.

At 200MHz it won't even POST. I couldn't even find the right jumper settings, because it won't post.

At 180MHz the cache needs to be at the slowest timings and the RAM and VLB needs a wait state. At 160MHz the cache and RAM can run at full speed but the VLB wait option is still needs that extra cycle, with every VLB VGA I tried.

All in all, it's faster than 160MHz but often not by much (Doom is faster by a large margin though), and it doesn't justify running it permanently at these settings. It definitely won't end up in a build like this. Even though the CPU itself is hardly lukewarm under the nice little copper heat sink (and fan of course) that I got from a Sun server. The VRM on the board is definitely warmer, though it still doesn't burn my hand.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 33 of 39, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Instead of a 5x86 at 200, if you want to get your fast 486 dose, you can always try a Cyrix MediaGX

Actually IDT Winchip should be much better option to get that "486" feel on practically any Socket 5/7 motherboard.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 34 of 39, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Instead of a 5x86 at 200, if you want to get your fast 486 dose, you can always try a Cyrix MediaGX

Actually IDT Winchip should be much better option to get that "486" feel on practically any Socket 5/7 motherboard.

I'm not so sure about that. The Socket 5/7 motherboard has such superior memory and IO performance that it won't feel like a 486. 🤣

Reply 35 of 39, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

superior memory

Just install FPM with horrible timings =P

Anyway, Winchip runs DOS games pretty much like extremely overclocked 486.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 36 of 39, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. The Socket 5/7 motherboard has such superior memory and IO performance that it won't feel like a 486. 🤣

Try it in an Opti Viper board then 😁

I did it and in some tests even a POD in a decent PCI 486 board was faster clock for clock then a standard Pentium in the PCChips M519 (or 529?).

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 37 of 39, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A POD @ 100MHz with a 1Mb of cache is a great performer in Socket 3 boards. The large cache makes up for the lack of memory bandwidth and poor fast page mode latencies. Sure it won't beat a 5x86 @ 200MHz especially running 3x66, but chances of getting a POD to 100MHz are way better than a 5x86 even to 180MHz 😀

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 38 of 39, by stalk3r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alvaro84 wrote:

At 160MHz the cache and RAM can run at full speed but the VLB wait option is still needs that extra cycle, with every VLB VGA I tried.

I have a VLB VGA which runs fine WS 0 at 160Mhz Chips & Technologies F64300 VLB vga question

Reply 39 of 39, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
amadeus777999 wrote:

I have mine(ADZ) booting at 200 and working at 180(tested thoroughly without any error in DOS and Windows).
It runs at 180 with just 3.6V and no voltage enables it to run with 200...
What is the datecode on that ADZ chip? Is it stable running games in Windows? How many chips did you need to try to find one that worked at 180 MHz?

I didn't need to find much as I was not aware that there's a possibility of having the chip run so high. The chip came with some other pentium processors I purchased on an ebay "alternative".

I had an iDX50 running at 60- and 66mhz front side bus(LS486E/C1) and I popped in the AMD, "correctly" lowered the voltage to something like 3.7V<+/-0.25V>(which I did to ensure booting at 150 was 100% possible) but... I forgot to jumper down to 50mhz and was shocked that I saw it booting at 180 and 198mhz respectively. 198 would make it into speedsys but crashed after a few seconds - no matter which voltage.

180 on the other hand worked so swell that I began downregulating the voltage(via potentiometer) to finally end up at around 3.6V.

I will get out the board again(once I feel better) and retest this all and post some screenshots + have it running in windows for a day and document the findings(+removing the heatsink & determining the date code). Please note that I already have used WinTune98 and winquake on the 180mhz chip and it did work for hours without a crash at 3.6V in Win98(32mb ram/no cache).

Attachments

• Goldy.jpg
    Filename
    Goldy.jpg
    File size
    456.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception