VOGONS

Reply 60 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just tested MODMXT4 and it works with SoundBlaster compatible cards. 😉

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 61 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi.

Yes of course sound blaster support is still there.

It also support EMS. I have the lotech ems card and no time to test it so far.
Samples size is limited to 64k.

EMS is used to store samples only and bank switching is done with the ems interrupt. If the lotech card works I am Quite sure it will be fast.

I dit not full understand when you say I can change the history. What can I do for this ?

I am rewriting mod master code not USMPlay.
USMPlay is in 32 bit protected mode and full support xm and it.

For tandy 1000 i know a bout the interrupt but i wonder if there is a doc on direct programming

Reply 62 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there limits to s3m support? On my 386, when playing 2nd reality (skaven part I think) the sample „I am not an atomic playboy“ gets swallowed when mixing at 21 KHz. ScreamTracker plays it just fine at that mixing rate. So I guess the 386 is fast enough.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 63 of 929, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So it's dropping channels when there's not enough CPU power...
Consider lowering the mixing rate instead - that what eg. Visual Player does.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 64 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok. But since ScreamTracker manages not to drop or stutter at the same sampling rate I would have assumed that ModMaster is even more efficient.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 65 of 929, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you add a Option for a DAC at Custom Adress (Specify I/O Port) ?

That would be very nice!

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 66 of 929, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote:

Can you add a Option for a DAC at Custom Adress (Specify I/O Port) ?

That would be very nice!

Indeed, a good point.

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 67 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Are there limits to s3m support? On my 386, when playing 2nd reality (skaven part I think) the sample „I am not an atomic playboy“ gets swallowed when mixing at 21 KHz.

You are right, it was a bug in the Key Off command. I corrected it and it is working.

I tested it on my PC1640. I successfully added the EMS Board and It is now able to play this module with all the samples.
I also played a 800Mb 16 Channel S3M, at 11KHz.

EMS is Fast because the card for XT is an hardware bank switching with some I/O.

Yes I will add DAC to any port, simple 😀

LABS, Something that can help a lot and is simple to add in your board is to play a signed buffer.
There are commands for this in the sound blaster 16.
It require extra time to convert the mixed buffer.

Of course if you can find a way to mix multiple buffer with a volume…

Last edited by FreddyV on 2019-07-13, 13:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 68 of 929, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It supports EMS ? Nice.

i have a Above Board in my XT with 2Mb EMS 😀
i will try it!

Thanks for adding Custom DAC Support ! 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc

Reply 70 of 929, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://modarchive.org/

Reply 71 of 929, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote:

For tandy 1000 i know a bout the interrupt but i wonder if there is a doc on direct programming

Same doc I referenced before. But the BIOS is ok to use, you don't have to do direct programming. It lets you set up the buffer in ping-pong mode, playing continuously, you don't need to touch the BIOS after that.

Reply 72 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried ModMaster again with the Blasterboard. It runs at 45KHz and plays 2nd Reality / PM quite well (apart from the known bug).

https://youtu.be/uc2bDuaD2So

However I can't play any MOD. I always get this error:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-15 um 23.46.53.png
Filename
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-15 um 23.46.53.png
File size
64.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 73 of 929, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:

It runs at 45KHz and plays 2nd Reality / PM quite well (apart from the known bug).

I don't hear any clicks at all, do you?
On this video you can actually hear how silent the output is, don't be too modest, I was working to achieve this for months 😀
BB's max rate is 62500Hz (F0h time constant). It can be checked by running "quake -sspeed 62500" and may be supported by ModMaster in the future 😉

EDIT:
@FreddyV BlasterBoard can be detected by issuing a BlasterBoard-specific E5h command which will respond with 2 bytes - major and minor version numbers of the firmware. No response - no BlasterBoard.

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 74 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Root42,
Thanks for the video. It sounds like DosBox.
The volume level on the st3 video is higher.
Did you adjust the volume level on mod master ?

With this module you can put 75%

I Will send the version without the bug so that you can redo the video.

Regarding the mod files but. Is it the same at a lower fréquence ?
Can you try after removing mod.cfg ?

I never had this kind of problem. It is of course the same replay code for both format.

Reply 75 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LABS wrote:
root42 wrote:

It runs at 45KHz and plays 2nd Reality / PM quite well (apart from the known bug).

I don't hear any clicks at all, do you?

No, the clicks are gone in ModMaster. I think the clicks in DoTT are just in the sound itself.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 76 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote:
Root42, Thanks for the video. It sounds like DosBox. The volume level on the st3 video is higher. Did you adjust the volume lev […]
Show full quote

Root42,
Thanks for the video. It sounds like DosBox.
The volume level on the st3 video is higher.
Did you adjust the volume level on mod master ?

With this module you can put 75%

I Will send the version without the bug so that you can redo the video.

Regarding the mod files but. Is it the same at a lower fréquence ?
Can you try after removing mod.cfg ?

I never had this kind of problem. It is of course the same replay code for both format.

I did not increase the volume in ModMaster. All defaults, apart from the 45kHz mixing rate.

Mod files: Doesn't matter, they all just don't load, even with defaults. Work fine in Scream Tracker. I will try removing mod.cfg tonight.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 77 of 929, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote:

Yes I will add DAC to any port, simple 😀

Perhaps you also want to add support for 'pseudo DAC' devices?
They aren't quite as simple as writing a byte to a port, but not too much different.
You can play sample data on:
- PC speaker, using PWM. This requires a simple translation table from 8-bit PCM samples to PWM samples, which are dependent on the sample rate. So it would be best to include the code to generate the table on-the-fly when you select a sample rate (this seems to be where many players go wrong, resulting in distortion. When done correctly, PC speaker can sound quite clear and crisp).
- AdLib, by modifying the volume. The volume is 6-bit, on a non-linear scale. So again a simple translation table from 8-bit PCM to AdLib volume would do the job.
- SN76489 (Tandy/PCjr), by modifying the volume. The volume is 4-bit non-linear, so similar to AdLib, but using a different table.
- SAA1099 (CMS/GameBlaster), by modifying the volume, again 4-bit non-linear.

In all cases, you need to set up the device once to get it in the correct state to play samples. After that, just writing each sample should be enough, with a simple routine.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 78 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to use the C/MS channels for primitive mixing? I.e. no software mixing, but rather writing out individual samples to each channel? Also C/MS would be nice to have for stereo support...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 79 of 929, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:

Is it possible to use the C/MS channels for primitive mixing? I.e. no software mixing, but rather writing out individual samples to each channel? Also C/MS would be nice to have for stereo support...

Yes, that should be possible. The trick for playing samples only takes one channel. You have 12 channels in total, so in theory you can play 12 samples at a time.
The same goes for SN76489, but it only has 3 squarewave channels, so not enough for even a standard 4ch mod.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/