VOGONS

Reply 12320 of 27334, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try the 8MB Creative soundfont, it's heaps better than the 4MB one.

As fr 4MB soundfonts, the SCC1T2.SF2 and XGREMAP.SF2 are fantastic little fonts to emulate the sound canvas and XG respectively.

Have fun.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12321 of 27334, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Try the 8MB Creative soundfont, it's heaps better than the 4MB one.

As fr 4MB soundfonts, the SCC1T2.SF2 and XGREMAP.SF2 are fantastic little fonts to emulate the sound canvas and XG respectively.

Have fun.

Thanks for the tip on the 4MB ones!
Any idea where to get the 8mb creative font - I thought it came with the AWE64 Gold but I could not find it there...?

Reply 12322 of 27334, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://github.com/DriverPackSolution/DP_Soun … ddon/Ct8mgm.sf2

While searching for it I came across this folder in the freebsd.org ftp:

http://ftp.se.freebsd.org/pub/awe32/soundfonts

It has some other nice <8MB SF2s.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-07-17, 14:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12324 of 27334, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amadeus777999 wrote:

I edited my post above, that link is not the Creative one 😀

Reply 12325 of 27334, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I changed the electrolytic capacitors of two motherboards.
The first is an ASUS P5KPL SE LGA775, it had three swollen capacitors next to the PCI-EX1, I replaced them with identical ones.
One of the three was open, while the other two had high ESRs.
The second is a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G SKT478, it had in the row of five next to the CPU, three swollen capacitors, I still replaced all five of them.
The three bullets were with ESR a little high and capacity out of tolerance.
I changed them with other ones from Rubycon MFZ.
I add the images of the capacitors, before and after the replacement.
I will try the MBs as soon as possible, I hope they work without any problems.

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 12326 of 27334, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
amadeus777999 wrote:

I edited my post above, that link is not the Creative one 😀

Great either way - I'll have a look at these.

Reply 12327 of 27334, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished the cheapass P4 build. Today I wanted to install the drivers but.... It booted into Win XP, gave an error telling me to insert the XP SP3 CD, reboots and nothing. Screen stays black, fans turn and the floppy drive seek repeats. I wonder if I caused damage inserting an USB stick in one of the front ports. Didn't see it was damaged.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 12328 of 27334, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure how retro this would be, but I disguised my DELL Vostro 1015's Windows 7 SP1 x64 install into a near 1:1 copy of Windows 2000 Pro 🤣

By now, the only obvious signs that this is Windows 7 is of course the "Show Desktop" icon, the audio and the WiFi icons, as well as the really neat search box in the start menu. Will work on replacing the audio and Desktop icons though, but the way things look right now really please me. There's still a few things to be done, like adding the web view from 2000 in Explorer, as well as working on the winlogon background (right now it says "Log On To Windows" even if you shut it down 🤣 ) and finding out how to edit a few small things I can't edit using non-invasive tools.

win 2k ultimate sp1 6.1.7601.png
Filename
win 2k ultimate sp1 6.1.7601.png
File size
415.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 12329 of 27334, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Nice, I have my Win7 rig run the "classic" theme too. How did you go back to the old-style start menu?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 12330 of 27334, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

^^ Nice, I have my Win7 rig run the "classic" theme too. How did you go back to the old-style start menu?

Classic Shell's custom Start menu, skinned for 2000 😀

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 12331 of 27334, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested some parts from my latest Scrap-Lot: 486 Board and a CT3670. Remembered that I had 3 30-Pin SIMMs with 16 MB each from a former lot. Combined...and works 😀 Awe32 with 32 MB for almost nothing 😀

DSC_0122.JPG
Filename
DSC_0122.JPG
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license
DSC_0123.JPG
Filename
DSC_0123.JPG
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 12332 of 27334, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

remember that case, that had it's PSU removed along with the power switch?

hardware06.jpg
Filename
hardware06.jpg
File size
167.13 KiB
Views
File license

so... some 16+ years ago I bought a cardboard box full of scrap electronics, plugs, switches etc... because you'll never know when you might need something right?

so I fished out one of these and did some basic cleaning...

hardware06b1.jpg
Filename
hardware06b1.jpg
File size
64.45 KiB
Views
File license

it's as if they used a universal switch size for PCs or something 🤣 direct screw-in replacement.

hardware06b2.jpg
Filename
hardware06b2.jpg
File size
76.15 KiB
Views
File license

and it's whole again 😀

hardware06b3.jpg
Filename
hardware06b3.jpg
File size
99.98 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12334 of 27334, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that second one is nice though, I like the red switches ^^
I'm still looking out for a nice desktop case too to put my original monitor on top. It's an Eizo 8060s, one of the few pieces of my very first PC beginnings that I still own 😀

Reply 12335 of 27334, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I knew this was going to be a big project... but this is going to be a big project.

ToshyScreen.jpg
Filename
ToshyScreen.jpg
File size
475.33 KiB
Views
File license

That's the back of a Toshiba T1100 Plus screen, which worked fine the first time out and then showed some pretty bad screen problems (black screen, screen lines instead of text). I probably jumped to disassembly too quickly but here we are. It wasn't any better after the first cleaning so I did another cleaning job on the insanely tiny connection pads (I suspect there will be some alignment tapping before I'm done) and applied Deoxit and I'm kind of letting that "set" for no reason other than being tired. I'll try to get pics of the pins when I open it again, it's one of those designs that had to have involved gin at some point in the design process.

The good news is that the T1000 screen is the same and I have 3 of those. Used that to make sure it wasn't the motherboard that was the problem.

And the funny thing is I thought the battery was going to be the big problem, but it looks like almost all of these laptops used Sub-C NiCd batteries, which are easy to get. I still want to convert to LiIon but it's probably not worth it (it would be an excuse to just wire around the inefficient 80s-era internal-PSU-plus-big-wall-wart setup, but alas... The good news is a modern 9V wall wart is comparatively tiny and cheap compared to the original.

ToshyBatt.jpg
Filename
ToshyBatt.jpg
File size
596.78 KiB
Views
File license

Mind you I have to find all the hacks and wierdness a previous owner got up to. Like a wireless phone battery (or something) cut in half:

1000.jpg
Filename
1000.jpg
File size
696.48 KiB
Views
File license

I will have to do some delicate cleaning on floppy drives, too. And take some measurements to see if *any* of those floppy drives have "standard" sizes. And then... the cleaning... the cleaning...

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 12336 of 27334, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those "random" (or Random) clone cases can be maddening to find. I have a couple from hole-in-the-wall resellers near here (like within a few miles) that have been out of business for many years (minitowers all, I need moar desktops!).

It's almost always just blind luck finding one, at least until 3D printing gets a little better and a little cheaper!

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 12337 of 27334, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More light pen testing......

I've got the feeling that I need to go find a Tandy 1000 compatible light pen first so that I can get an accurate idea of what kind of circuit I need to make these things actually work as intended. I keep getting close, sometimes even registering on screen, but so far away, so I'm giving up for awhile, after all, I want to do some sick SATA experiments with the 486.

Shame Computer Reset is not within reach, I'm sure they'd have a Deluxe Mouse and possibly a compatible LIght Pen such as the Warp Speed one compatible with the Tandy 1000 for me to clone. I'm sure they'll be locked up and closed down by the time I could afford a trip to Texas to nab some items.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 12338 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got my Windows 98SE build to get the 3D to work once again after installing the chipset and AGP drivers. My Ti4400 AGP card works and I also decided to lubricate the fan as the bearing was stiff, and my VooDoo2 card cannot get DX7 to work well, but DX8 works, and I realized that I installed the FastVooDoo 4.6 drivers again and forgot to reset the computer.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12339 of 27334, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Making a Windows 10-like icon set for Windows 95, I suppose. I forgot that Win95's icons are 4 bit like Win3, so there's actually a purpose to this.

Sa4UOqe.png

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.