VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am building a mATX s370 system (with a Via C3 cpu) aiming to be near silent. After two MSI motherboards just stopped posting on the same day, which I could not explain, I tried another SOYO mobo (3xPCI, 1xISA, no AGP), can't find a model number. It has integrated graphics (TNT2?) and like most board from the late 90s has integrated audio. However when going through the BIOS options I noticed "Legacy SoundBlaster Audio" settings, which allows me to set the usual IRQ/DMA/Port numbers. I have not tried it yet but I assume it will work fine with DOS VDMs and maybe in pure DOS too.

I have never seen this before on a motherboard...how common was legacy audio settings on integrated audio on mobos from this era? Is it likely hanging off the ISA bus or using something like PCPCI or DDMA? The board lacks a SPDIF header sadly which would have made it worthwhile using alongside the Audician32 I am planning on putting in the ISA slot, however I may still play with it nonetheless.

Reply 1 of 5, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look for VIA boards with VT82C686A/686B/VT8231 south bridge. The original via epia mini-itx boards featured those bios options.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

'Legacy audio' was a thing for a short period around 1998-2000; before that, onboard audio tended to be fully-fledged ISA chipsets (SB Vibra or similar), afterwards support for legacy was dropped.

Via southbridges had it, but a board with integrated TNT2 sounds like ALi AladdinTNT2, so also an ALi southbridge. You could also find legacy settings on board with onboard ESS Solo-1 or Yamaha XG chipsets (in which case an SBLINK was implemented onboard for the settings)

Reply 3 of 5, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are a few Slot-1 and Socket 370 motherboards with a Yamaha YMF740 onboard, which is SBPro compatible with a built-in geniune OPL3 FM synth. A quick Google search finds:

Slot 1:
Intel SE440BX-2
Soyo SY-6IBM
PRM-0084I ZX- DTK Computer

Socket 370:

Soyo SY-7IZM
Epox EP-ZX370Y
Gemlight P6BIMG

Reply 5 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote:

Isn't the YMF740 a PCI chip? Do motherboards with it necessarily support legacy audio in bios settings?

As long as the motherboard manufacturer wired up the PC/PCI / SB-Link then it will act as an ISA card in regards to legacy audio compatibility.

But I don't think that the lagacy BIOS settings are needed with a YMF chip as the configuration is done through setupds.exe.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK