VOGONS

First post, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi!

I have tried this now with two different versions of "Their Finest Hour" - both a disk and a cdrom version: when i run the install, i get an error that the hard disk is full, when in actually fact i have like over 40gigs free on the drive and the c drive i use for Dosbox is just mount c c:\games - this is the only game so far where the install throws up this error

can someone help me please and tell me how i might be able to have the install recognise that i have enough space free - is it somethingi n the config i need to change or is there a command i can type in?

thank you

Reply 1 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can specify the amount of free space of a mounted directory with the -freesize parameter to the mount command:

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 6, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

okay thanks - i tried that now with a few variations of size - 200, 500, 1024 - all the same error, i dont know what the games install's problem is -- i am assuming the freesize is measured in megs?

Reply 3 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would guess so. A simple "dir" will tell you for sure. Can you post a video or pictures of the installation? Do you install from floppy images? Or did you copy the installation files to the c drive prior?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 6, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably something else going wrong with copying files and the installer incorrectly assumes the problem is a lack of free space.

DOSBox's internal copy command doesn't handle wildcards very well so you might want to try installing under freedos or similar.

Reply 5 of 6, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i was loading a cdrom drive and going from the install on that - the cd i have is a "CD Power" from 1997 it contains Their FInest Hour with all the extra missions.

i have however found a solution - in that if i just copy the files over to a folder through windows copy paste and just run the game exe, then the game runs perfectly, so i guess i dont need to worry about the install error - but its a shame as i do enjoy the nostalgia of doing a dos install when i can 😀