VOGONS

First post, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

I am looking to get a S3D, DX3 or CIF card and would like to know what models to shoot for on SS7 as i've heard it can be picky, and if these cards will work on AGP 2x properly.

The goal is to play these old api accelerated games that can't be used on modern PCs natively and to see how they look originally on different APIs. Choice of cards are limited to what I can find locally (to avoid high shipping costs) and PCI versions are hard to find.

Found a S3 Savage 8MB 86C290 (looks like it's a Savage/MX with lower clocks)
- will this be good for S3D? or would Virge DX would be better pick? what other better S3D choices?

A card to cover DX3-7, hardware T&L and 32-bit:
- which would be better? TNT2 M64 or RIVA 128 / 128ZX?

Build specs:
AMD-K62 350
FIC PA-2013 rev 2.1
V3 2000 AGP
SB Live PCI
AWE64 value ISA
Windows 98SE

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMO You already have the best AGP video card choice considering the specs 😀 (that FIC board's VIA MVP3 based and MVP3s often tend to be unstable for non-3dfx, real AGP boards). now just dump the Live and slip a PowerVR PCX2 in there...

You're not missing much without those few S3D games.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 4, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah i have read about the compatibilty issues and V3 seems most stable for SS7.

PowerVR for SGL would be a dream haha, but it's elusive now even on ebay.

S3D games are probably nothing to shout about, but it's more a nostalgia thing, I guess will have to pick the latest Savage 4 or similar. Just wanted to know if the Savage/MX is any good.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 3 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt the Savage cards can work with 1996's S3D games (heck later ViRGE cards have problems with starting earlier ViRGE games). Savages are more for the special early vendor-locked texture compression novelty demo maps for a few games (Q2/Q3/Unreal) and a full texture pack for UT, exercising the texturing muscle when 512x512/1024x1024 textures weren't yet commonplace.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
svfn wrote:

Yeah i have read about the compatibilty issues and V3 seems most stable for SS7.

PowerVR for SGL would be a dream haha, but it's elusive now even on ebay.

S3D games are probably nothing to shout about, but it's more a nostalgia thing, I guess will have to pick the latest Savage 4 or similar. Just wanted to know if the Savage/MX is any good.

You want a S3 Virge with the 325 chip for the least problems. Lots of S3D games need to be patched to on later chips, even within the Virge line. Although if you can get the Saveage4 to run S3D games please make a post about it. That would definitely be an interesting prospect for a hybrid DOS/98 machine.