post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 1320 of 2202, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

damn so period correct! have those same speakers as well! legendary

i have the subwoofer too. the whole set is nos.

Reply 1321 of 2202, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I need to hook up my 4.1 surround to my main desktop PC sometime.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1322 of 2202, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I finally have a part of a basement room to myself (because we now do have a basement, yay!) and would like to build my retro corner in there. However, I am looking for creative ways of stacking / connecting monitors / PCs / other retro hardware as well as any other cool ideas. For example when watching retrobattlestations reddit I have found some nice kvm switch solutions and the idea to hang period-correct ads of the hardware on the wall (neat!). So perhaps I can learn something from your retro corners as well - please share how you've set up your VOGONS corners?

Reply 1324 of 2202, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wirerogue wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

What's the model # for the subwoofer?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1325 of 2202, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote:
Here ya go: http://i.imgur.com/gR2wyGcm.jpg Nothing fancy so far but my PC room is about to get some neon, Tron poster etc... :) […]
Show full quote

Here ya go:
gR2wyGcm.jpg
Nothing fancy so far but my PC room is about to get some neon, Tron poster etc... 😀

Very nice. Clean, ordered. I like it. These other photos, however - you really do have a s**tton of old hardware, man! It looks like a small warehouse!

Reply 1326 of 2202, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:
wirerogue wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

What's the model # for the subwoofer?

its the ACS160.

Reply 1327 of 2202, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
OldCat wrote:

Very nice. Clean, ordered. I like it. These other photos, however - you really do have a s**tton of old hardware, man! It looks like a small warehouse!

Merged topic.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1329 of 2202, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote:
Murugan wrote:
Here ya go: http://i.imgur.com/gR2wyGcm.jpg Nothing fancy so far but my PC room is about to get some neon, Tron poster etc... :) […]
Show full quote

Here ya go:
gR2wyGcm.jpg
Nothing fancy so far but my PC room is about to get some neon, Tron poster etc... 😀

If I could, I would use 2 desks along 2 adjacent walls and put up one of my IBM XT's and a system for my SC-88. Since that is not possible, I chose my 386 and MT-32. One day maybe I'll replace it with an all-in-one AMD K6 PC....
Hmmmm yes, I have too much hardware I know 🙁 It got even more this weekend!

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 1330 of 2202, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
OldCat wrote:

Merged topic.

Thanks. I did use the search function, as I vaguely remembered there was such thread here already. I just couldn't find it ("computing area" - argh, haven't thought about that one!). Sorry for the trouble.

Reply 1331 of 2202, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote:

Hah! With that setup, I would dress the place up like a 90s computer shop that I got to live in. 😀 I would even make a little sign for the PC... "386" as bold negative space in a bunch of thick parallel colored lines .. "$1500". 🤣

Reply 1333 of 2202, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I like to organise my stuff so that I don't have to look for too long :p
I am lucky that I have a big attic in this house haha.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 1334 of 2202, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

JfH0lQ857gcX53KKUFQr.jpeg

My main computer is a 2018 Mac mini (6-core i5, 32GB RAM, 512GB internal SSD) barely visible under the left display.

The displays are a 4K 24-inch LG (on the right) and a Lenovo ThinkVision which is about 20 inch in size (1440x900). I plan to get an eGPU for the Mac mini as soon as funds allow.

I'm also going to replace the Lenovo display with a modern 22-inch FullHD monitor (probably Iiyama) and use the Lenovo for my upcoming retro build.

Although Lenovo is the wrong aspect ratio, it supports 75Hz in all resolutions and its built-in scaler is passable.

Reply 1335 of 2202, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a temporary setup... test and tune night. Enjoy

Pentium3 1400s / Asus Tusl2-c / Crucial 256mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti500 64mb / SB Live! 5.1 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5'' Floppy / Enermax 420w 20pin / Win98se

Attachments

• 101_3929.JPG
    Filename
    101_3929.JPG
    File size
    422.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 1337 of 2202, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's my home desk. Nothing fancy, just a MacBook Pro "13 (2013), a RaspBerry Pi3 and a Rubik's Cube...

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0297.jpg
    File size
    940.51 KiB
    Views
    File license

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1338 of 2202, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will be moving in a few months, so this lair of mine will soon become the thing of the past 😀

vtIMG_20190430_185821.jpg
Filename
vtIMG_20190430_185821.jpg
File size
219.8 KiB
Views
File license

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 1339 of 2202, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sledge wrote:

I will be moving in a few months, so this lair of mine will soon become the thing of the past 😀

I spy with my little eye a nice Schneider monitor. 😀 A fellow man of culture.