VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As the title says... I have three Trident ISA cards, which is probably three more than I need, but I'm gonna keep one around as a spare and get rid of the other two. I am aware that none of these are "great" cards, but do any of them offer anything different than the others? Would any of these work in an 8-bit machine?

tridents.jpg
Filename
tridents.jpg
File size
640.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The top one is an 8900CL that came out of my 386. The bottom two are both 8900C and look virtually identical, including sharing the same FCC ID (8916CX2/4/8 LC2), although the chips have different date codes. (MQTJ009/9240 vs MQTG031/9229.) The one on the right has 70ns RAM.

I'm leaning towards keeping the one on the bottom right, unless someone has a better idea.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would check which of them has the best RAMDAC and thus, potentially, the best image quality .

As far as I know, all TVGA 8900 cards can work in 8-bit slots and should work in a PC or XT class machine if the BIOS is new enough for VGA support .

Reply 4 of 5, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

the one the devil uses

Or the one that Poseidon uses. Either one would be pretty powerful.

However, 5 out of 5 dentists would not recommend chewing any of these three to their patients who chew gum.

Other than just seeing which has the best picture, and maybe running a set of benchmarks on them to see which is the fastest, it's hard to say what to get rid of.

Reply 5 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote:

I would check which of them has the best RAMDAC and thus, potentially, the best image quality .

Seconded.
TVGA8900 can do 16 (or 15?) bpp, but only when coupled with appropriate RAMDAC, and the most common ones only allowed for 8 bpp.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...