VOGONS

First post, by Tatsuya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I bought a GeForce2 Ti on eBay a few months ago. The fan on the card is fine but the incorrect cable seems to have been soldered on. I don't really know how to go about fixing this. Should I source out a replacement fan? If so, where would I find it and what type of connector is this? Or should I try soldering it directly on to the card instead of worrying about a connector?

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    Filename
    image0.jpg
    File size
    87.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • zx.jpg
    Filename
    zx.jpg
    File size
    41.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • xz.jpg
    Filename
    xz.jpg
    File size
    92.94 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 7, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That fan has 2 cables (black and red) but the connector on the card has 3 pins, are you sure that was the original heatsink and fan?
That looks like an Asus card but the heatsink/cooler is from Club3d.

edit: if you search on ali-espresso for "3 pin gpu cooler" you´ll find a lot of alternatives.

Reply 3 of 7, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or buy this cable on eBay...

2pin 3pin.JPG
Filename
2pin 3pin.JPG
File size
11.98 KiB
Views
File license

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 5 of 7, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had an Asus Gf2 Pro once and tried to clean its fan, however stupid old me broke one blade of the fan and got it worse. I saved the old broken fan with its connector because I though I could get another fan and reuse the connector, but recently did a cleanup and might have thrown it away. No way to confirm now because Im on vacations. Pm me in a few weeks

Reply 6 of 7, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it just me, or does it look like that the 3-pin socket on the card is already some kind of adapter that is stuck into the original pins that sits beneath?
Could just be me, but the photo sure looks like it.

Regardless, instead of buying overpriced cables with sockets on them I would solder on my own adapter or solder the cables down to the card itself. Remember, for continuous usage on maximum power (which was the norm for GPU fans back then), only two cables are required.

When did it become standard for GPU fans to be throttleable as well like they are nowadays? (Yes, excuse me, I do live in the past.)