VOGONS

First post, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Win98SE rig I built is acting a bit strange... It doesn't work quite correctly when it starts up. I've installed all of the Win98 updates using the Auto-Patcher you can find on the internet, just to let you know. The problem I have is that the system will not enter the GUI interface unless it's being bootlogged (i.e. the booting sequence is logged in a file). Kind of an "observer effect", if you will. I don't know what's wrong, or where the problem is, but while it's inconvenient, it's not major.

Reply 1 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem I have is that the system will not enter the GUI interface unless it's being bootlogged

You need to provide some more details. What exactly happens when not having the bootlog activated? Does it start into DOS then? If so, it may just have BootGUI=0 set in the msdos.sys.

Reply 2 of 4, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it seems to enter the GUI, but then hangs on a black screen. I don't know why.

I've also tried to read the bootlog when I do activate it, but it seems to be overwritten every time the computer starts up.
(i.e. Choose "Normal"? Yeah, it's there that time. Choose "Command Prompt Only" when you restart? The bootlog is overwritten with the Command Prompt Boot steps.)

Reply 3 of 4, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, It doesn't seem to be ONLY bootlogged.

It takes a few startups to make it work. I don't know if that means a capacitor is not working properly. (i.e. the capacitor has to warm up in order to work properly)

Reply 4 of 4, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I think it works correctly now. I think I know what was the problem...

After I had repaired my motherboard (I replaced the USB ports and PS/2 Mouse+Keyboard ports), I also took off a capacitor that didn't seem to want to go back on. (Don't worry, no real damage was done. The leads seemed to have been clipped incorrectly.) So I replaced it with one with the same capacitance, but a higher voltage.
The only problem, it was sitting in my hot garage's electronic parts box for a while, and I think it was reforming itself every time I turned on the computer.