VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by andylatham82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use DosBox SVN Daum to run my old DOS games. I use that version because of the nice options for CRT shaders. I love how older DOS games in a 320x240 or 320x200 resolution look. Even without CRT shaders, the pixel art looks great scaled up on a modern monitor. Later games with a 640x480 resolution don't look good with a CRT shader because the scanlines don't scale well on a 1080p screen. So in those cases I just keep the raw pixels.

However for Discworld II, which uses a higher 640x480 resolution, there seems to be no way to make the artwork look nice on a 1080p screen. I'm not sure if it's how the art was originally digitized, but that game just looks ugly in any way I can find to display it (other than having a tiny original-resolution window). The best option I've found is an anti-aliasing shader, but that also makes things look quite blurred. It's such a shame as the underlying artwork is nice, it's just got horrible jagged edging.

I wondered if anyone might know of a good solution?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you post a screenshot? Of course one problem is that 1080 is not a multiple of 480. you could try to force a 2x scaler, which gives 960, with black bars. That might look nicer.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 6, by andylatham82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using a 2x scaler, I was able to get the resolution you suggested, but there was no way of getting it to play nice with any of the CRT shaders. That's not the end of the world, but I did manage to make some further progress.

Instead of using a 2x scaler, I manually set the resolution of DosBox for that game to 1280x960, and made sure that my graphics card didn't do any additional scaling. After applying a CRT shader, I was pretty happy with
the result I ended up with (see below). Many thanks for your help 😀

Note that the graphics in Discworld 2 give a border at the top and bottom anyway, not using the full resolution of the "screen". In the screenshot I have cropped these off, but the on my computer monitor the game basically has a black border all the way around. I'd love to be able to scale up to the full 1080p, but I don't think this is possible while keeping the game looking nice. This game, more than others, seems to suffer badly when using non-integer scaling, regardless of any scanlines used.

Also make sure you're looking at this at full resolution so that the scanlines aren't distorted.

5MLdIXM.png

Reply 5 of 6, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

I think this looks rather nice.

I agree.

Andy, would you be able to post some comparison captures of the lower res sources that you mentioned (320x200/240) scaled up using your preferred CRT shaders versus the baseline DOSBox? Thank you!