VOGONS

Reply 2160 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eeguru wrote:

If the idea is to get cards in the hands of other people, why not release board files with conditional attribution so other people can build cards?

The answer to that question was shared long ago in this thread. This is his work, which he has kindly decided to share in the form of pre-manufactured bare cards (for donors/contributors only, initially). However, the board files will not be shared, because he has no intention of giving free money to the eBay vultures. The idea is to keep costs reasonable while maintaining some semblance of control. I think it's understandable and quite reasonable.

If one is that insistent on producing a card themselves, the schematics and BOM for the second-generation prototype have already been shared. All that remains is to do the layout and routing. The schematics are already a good start. If one really wants to insist on the board files, it is an indication that they are likely just after the money, given what any GUS tends to sell for these days.

Reply 2161 of 3172, by eeguru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm just questioning the longevity of the thread. I'm not insisting on the board files. I understand the eBay issues but the whole point of the project is to drive GUS costs down somewhat - otherwise just fork out cash for an eBay card.

Reply 2162 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Driving down the price to an uncertain degree will still work if the cards get put out in 5 years 😉
Yes, this project has been taking longer than I originally intended ... a lot longer. If that's a problem to anyone involved, I'm always up for a dialogue.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2163 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@shock__: Remembering you were unhappy about that in your order:
LABS (after they did the same on his Blasterboard) managed to convince JCLPCB to add an option to definitely place the order number in a pre-defined spot now:

jcl.jpg
Filename
jcl.jpg
File size
53.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2164 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you check the RC2 carefully JLCPCB actually fucked up that instruction they gave themselves ... I ended up with a JLCJLCJLCJLC marker (under the Interwave) I put on the card PLUS their own pool identifier in an always visible place. A decent hotfix is drawing over their pool marker with a red marker pen ("Edding" in German).

[Z?]

Reply 2165 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Phreeze wrote:

are you looking to live in Charlottenburg? 18-24 is very expensive and reaches Luxembourg-Prices (which are really premium...but for new flats).
Anyway: we waited years after the GUS release for a card, we can wait any more months required to finish the project 😉

Welcome to Kreuzberg36 ... one of the worst places according to German media when it comes to filth and criminality rates, which in reality is totally blown out of proportion. While the other half of Kreuzberg is nicer, you'd find even higher prices there.
Charlottenburg is actually cheaper ... there are actually a number of still decently priced places in Berlin ... but either extremely demanded or so close to the border that I won't be able to get away from work when I have night shifts.

[Z?]

Reply 2166 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hm i was there a few years ago and can`t remember any criminality besides some people smoking weed.
Which i would not even consider a crime..

german media tells us crime is rising..
but fact is its going down in germany there are less crime then in the 80s..

less rapes, less murdering... and so on.
they just want to get us to give your voices to the ones who want more and more monitor systems to prevent us from being free,
to get more control over all of us..

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2167 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's one very specific corner where alcoholics gather (usually watched by 2 cop cars) and one backyard which is usually populated with dealers ... not pretty, but not a hotspot either.

[Z?]

Reply 2169 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah if some one wants to experience bad weed stuffed with all kinds of stretch medium from hairspray to kitchen Herbs.
i stay away from such experiences.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2170 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What you both said ...
it's a decent park to walk through (I actually kinda like the petting zoo and the large, round grass field), but probably has the worst weed of Berlin on offer (from what I heard ... the dealers probably are desperate for sales for a reason - namely bad quality you only want to experience once).

[Z?]

Reply 2171 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a small FYI, I've finally put my hands on my assembled ARGUS prototype #7 (thanks, keropi!) and tried a CT4170 bracket - it fits almost perfectly (taking into account the already known "bug" of the spacing between the jacks that is slighly bigger than needed; but the jacks holes on the bracket fit even without any further drilling), all jacks markings are correct, looks great. I said almost - as there was no hole on the ARGUS PCB for the metal support screw. So, I've drilled it, and here we go:

20190921_093911.jpg
Filename
20190921_093911.jpg
File size
265.67 KiB
Views
File license
20190921_093845.jpg
Filename
20190921_093845.jpg
File size
406.5 KiB
Views
File license
20190921_093830.jpg
Filename
20190921_093830.jpg
File size
564.79 KiB
Views
File license

In my book it's a perfect bracket for the ARGUS, and there are plenty of those CT4170/CT4180 available for cheap.
I know that we've already discussed this, but... maybe... it would be still possible to add this mounting hole to the final production design? It would make the life a lot easier for one who decided to go with the Creative Vibra bracket!

P.S. I haven't tested it yet, and have a slight concern - could I have shortened anything while drilling that should not be shortened? Any inner layers, etc.? Please tell me before I plug it in and get some magic smoke 😁

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 2173 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As usual, first I do and then I think 😀
So, in theory, is the magic smoke probable or not?

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 2175 of 3172, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
j^aws wrote:

^^ Just like Schrodinger's Cat, you're not gonna know if the cat's- I mean board is dead until you know what... Consider the board as both dead and alive.

Invoking wave particle duality. . . I tip my hat to you good sir.

Reply 2176 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

P.S. I haven't tested it yet, and have a slight concern - could I have shortened anything while drilling that should not be shortened? Any inner layers, etc.? Please tell me before I plug it in and get some magic smoke 😁

ARGUS is a two-layer board; there are no inner layers to damage. If the bit didn't "skip" around too much and you made a clean hole, I would expect that it's reasonably unlikely that you caused catastrophic damage, as long as you didn't compromise the bond between the copper and substrate or crack the vias. If I'm not mistaken, that area is a ground fill on both sides, so you're probably safe to test. Still, drilling through an assembled board isn't something that I would generally recommend.

Reply 2177 of 3172, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the Goat wrote:
j^aws wrote:

^^ Just like Schrodinger's Cat, you're not gonna know if the cat's- I mean board is dead until you know what... Consider the board as both dead and alive.

Invoking wave particle duality. . . I tip my hat to you good sir.

That's not wave particle duality. That's just the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Unfortunately the wavelength of an ARGUS card is too small to quantum tunnel it's way into my office. I'll wait until Shock has them in mass production. 😀

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2179 of 3172, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today i can only regret not being a backer for this project, would love me an ARGUS. Those ISA expansion headers are very handy.

Hope __shock is doing well.