VOGONS

Reply 340 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some people here.. no are we not stupid.. these splitter are working only with some boards, usually with Z97 and newer.. in our case, there is missing cable, so some soldering etc is needed.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 341 of 486, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Srandista wrote:
ruthan wrote:

PS/2 ports - Rayer modified his H67 - 1x PS/2 MB to 2x PS/2 and i he will try modify mine too, some tutorial is on his page.

Why even care with HW modifying of the board, when you can just use PS/2 splitter from eBay for 1$? With it, I can use PS/2 keyboard and mouse even on my really modern Z270 board, no hard modification necessary.

Depending on the port's circuitry, PS/2 splitters do not always work. I have an ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 motherboard, and my PS/2 splitter does not work properly on it.

Reply 342 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As excepted Aureal V1 is working with B75 too.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 343 of 486, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updated the list of games not working in ESS Solo-1's TDMA mode on unsupported Intel chipsets. No "mutes" this time!

Added:

Chu Liuxiang Chuanqi: Xuehai Piaoxiang
CyberMage: Darklight Awakening
Deep Red
Hi-Octane
Homey D. Clown
Kome Bumb
SlipStream 5000
Trial By Magic

A somewhat obscure selection - with one Chinese and two Spanish games - but that's because I'm going through a wacky "to-try" list of mine, and it has a lot of those.

More to come soon.

On the bright side, here are the games out of the recent test batch that did work with TDMA out of the box:

Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse
Amok
Assault Trooper
Backlash: A Turret Gunner Simulation
Desert Strike / Jungle Strike
EcoQuest 2 – Lost Secret of the Rainforest
Extreme Assault
GeneWars
Igor: Objective Uikokahonia
Magic Carpet 2
Realms of Chaos.

Among those were about 20 Adlib-only titles, but they all worked, no surprises there.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 344 of 486, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What audio card do you recommend please with my Asus a7n8x deluxe with Nvidia Nforce2 Ultra chipset?

Which card should I try to have my Real Dos mode make the sounds work (music and sfx)??

I really hope you can save me.

I tried with no lucky the Creative ct4810 and this Yamaha ymf724f-v.

Thanks a lot

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 345 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We dont have too much info about nforce 2 and where we have it usually dont working regarding of Nvidia no legacy MB history its not suprise it probably worst retro chipset for DOS, so change MB than sound card make more sense.
Nvidia chipsets where good for intergrated graphics - now obsolete and SLI support (not for DOS and Win98), nothing is now relevant..

Reply 346 of 486, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote:

We dont have too much info about nforce 2 and where we have it usually dont working regarding of Nvidia no legacy MB history its not suprise it probably worst retro chipset for DOS, so change MB than sound card make more sense.
Nvidia chipsets where good for intergrated graphics - now obsolete and SLI support (not for DOS and Win98), nothing is now relevant..

So assuming that I want to remain in this motherboard probably I cannot hear music and sfx on dos?? Never???

I cannot believe, there is a pci sound card that is not dependent by southbridge?

Oh cmon, and if I simply use the integrated audio card by enabling legacy mode on bios? Can I use the audio integrate in Dos? This motherboard have the Realtek ALC650 AC'97 audio codec.

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 347 of 486, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

So assuming that I want to remain in this motherboard probably I cannot hear music and sfx on dos?? Never???

You can probably use the FM-synth of cards using the CMI 8738 or Yamaha YMF744 by accessing the synth on the PCI I/O range. You need an utility like REMAPCMI to remap port 388 or a game/program that let you set the IO port for FM manually.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 348 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

Oh cmon, and if I simply use the integrated audio card by enabling legacy mode on bios? Can I use the audio integrate in Dos? This motherboard have the Realtek ALC650 AC'97 audio codec.

If such thing would be working we would be elsewhere.. There is no such thing like Realtek official driver for Sound blaster, there are only some modern libraries which are able to make Realtek working with very few specific dos applications like video and music players and Hexen 2 / Quake 2 dos ports. BTW didnt even see any legacy bios setting for Realteks, if it really exist post some pictures pleas..

Reply 349 of 486, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote:
biessea wrote:

If such thing would be working we would be elsewhere.. There is no such thing like Realtek official driver for Sound blaster, there are only some modern libraries which are able to make Realtek working with very few specific dos applications like video and music players and Hexen 2 / Quake 2 dos ports. BTW didnt even see any legacy bios setting for Realteks, if it really exist post some pictures pleas..

Yeah, unfortunately I saw the bios just now, an I cannot find any legacy SB mode or emulation.

This card is from 2003, I cannot believe there is not a mode to run under REAL DOS environment for the Realtek chip.

I'm so stucked in here, I cannot find a solution.

I want to remain with my Asus Socket A Nforce 2 motherboard, and I have to be defeat about audio.

Only PC Speaker where the games support it. So sad.

I just fixed the gameport problem (I had a Abit NF7 before and there was no possibility to have a gameport working so I passed in this Asus that have a bracket in the rear to use it).

And now no sound? I am asking too much? A 2003 board with PCI slot, cannot run an audio card in dos? Bah.

Love beer, too.

Reply 350 of 486, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

And now no sound? I am asking too much? A 2003 board with PCI slot, cannot run an audio card in dos? Bah.

Yes, you are. Nvidia never cared about legacy audio and therefore never supported it with Nforce. Information about that is easily obtainable, and if you would do a basic research, you would find that immediately.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 351 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

[
This card is from 2003, I cannot believe there is not a mode to run under REAL DOS environment for the Realtek chip.

You can see it every day most of the users are obsessed by upgrading enverything and you lost of some legacy feature they dont care and they argue that you should use only newest things and you shouldnt expect support for older model. Now if you would support for Windows 10 1809 they will bully you with something about Vista support and that you should play on new games and everything else within virtual machines (they dont care that its not working even there)..
Just herd of zombies with wallets as weapons, enslaved by companies for which is such model much more profitable.

Reply 352 of 486, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes but...now I made with lot of efforts a REAL DOS dualboot (XP and DOS) Computer, I search a lot how to make REAL DOS mode and studied what I did twenty years ago cause I had forgot...I searched a lot how to dualboot with these two old systems, I search a lot how to make a gameport work until I abandoned my old great Abit NF-7 a motherboard that I loved and I love now too...to find the Asus A7n8deluxe and the gameport bracket supported by the motherboard itself...and now, the last step, the sound through PCI card...and I CANNOT? So I am forced to play MS-DOS Games with gameport and some beautiful Quickshot joysticks without sound or only ther pc speaker sound if the games support it.

And there is no solution about this? Some PCI sound card that work alone and completely doesn't depend from the chipset?

I think I found the best old school forum here with you, and If you cannot find a solution to me remaining on this motherboard I will have to declare me as looser now. 😢

Love beer, too.

Reply 353 of 486, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

Yes but...now I made with lot of efforts a REAL DOS dualboot (XP and DOS) Computer, I search a lot how to make REAL DOS mode and studied what I did twenty years ago cause I had forgot...I searched a lot how to dualboot with these two old systems, I search a lot how to make a gameport work until I abandoned my old great Abit NF-7 a motherboard that I loved and I love now too...to find the Asus A7n8deluxe and the gameport bracket supported by the motherboard itself...and now, the last step, the sound through PCI card...and I CANNOT? So I am forced to play MS-DOS Games with gameport and some beautiful Quickshot joysticks without sound or only ther pc speaker sound if the games support it.

And there is no solution about this? Some PCI sound card that work alone and completely doesn't depend from the chipset?

I think I found the best old school forum here with you, and If you cannot find a solution to me remaining on this motherboard I will have to declare me as looser now. 😢

It's all about the chipset/southbridge. You simply can't get legacy audio working on a nForce-based chipset except Aureal Vortex series. Period.

Previously I was able to get ESS Solo-1 working under DOS, but at that time the boards I used/tried were all using VIA chipsets, such as EP-8KTA3PRO, GA-K8VT890, EP-AK890, ASUS M2V.

The success on those motherboards almost made me believe that legacy audio can still work with modern hardware, and I don't have to rely on ISA slots anymore, until I hit a wall trying to get legacy audio working with nForce-based motherboards. I simply can't get it working there. I was, however, able to obtain partial success with a Turtle Beach Montego A3DXStream (AU8820) on nForce motherboards back then (similar to ICH6 and later).

Last edited by LSS10999 on 2019-08-26, 00:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 354 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Retro with not period hardware means just a bit component juggling.. just MB for something more compatible, even much faster machines are running with PCI sound:
X58/i865/V880 - Yamaha7x4/AurealV1/2 pure Dos7.1- compatibility list/research/ultim. drivers configs, WIP- gurus needed

Reply 355 of 486, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

biessea: I don't want to be rude or something like that, but why are you so fixed on nForce boards? You're obviously not using SLI config with those, and they're otherwise notoriously hostile for retro (or rather DOS) purposes. Again, as LSS10999 mentioned, there aren't any legacy capabilities provided with that chipset and you won't be able to use any PCI sound card to its full potential in DOS. And all of this is easily findable with quick Google search (in fact, "nforce dos legacy audio" query would point you directly to this topic as a 1st search result).

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 356 of 486, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Srandista wrote:

biessea: I don't want to be rude or something like that, but why are you so fixed on nForce boards? You're obviously not using SLI config with those, and they're otherwise notoriously hostile for retro (or rather DOS) purposes. Again, as LSS10999 mentioned, there aren't any legacy capabilities provided with that chipset and you won't be able to use any PCI sound card to its full potential in DOS. And all of this is easily findable with quick Google search (in fact, "nforce dos legacy audio" query would point you directly to this topic as a 1st search result).

Cause I loved my Abit NF7 motherboards for years...and cause the gameport problems I hade to migrate in this beautiful Asus A7N8X Deluxe. So Now that this gameport works, I simply just wanted to try to find a soundcard workign with this MCP-T southbridge.

I love Socket A configuration, I always seen that socket great for old gaming and Windows XP purpose.

Love beer, too.

Reply 357 of 486, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LSS10999 wrote:
It's all about the chipset/southbridge. You simply can't get legacy audio working on a nForce-based chipset except Aureal Vortex […]
Show full quote
biessea wrote:

It's all about the chipset/southbridge. You simply can't get legacy audio working on a nForce-based chipset except Aureal Vortex series. Period.

Previously I was able to get ESS Solo-1 working under DOS, but at that time the boards I used/tried were all using VIA chipsets, such as EP-8KTA3PRO, GA-K8VT890, EP-AK890, ASUS M2V.

The success on those motherboards almost made me believe that legacy audio can still work with modern hardware, and I don't have to rely on ISA slots anymore, until I hit a wall trying to get legacy audio working with nForce-based motherboards. I simply can't get it working there. I was, however, able to obtain partial success with a Turtle Beach Montego A3DXStream (AU8820) on nForce motherboards back then (similar to ICH6 and later).

Ehy, you tell me that if I had an Aureal Vortex card I can succeed in my task?

I had a problem with a shipping with this card, it doesn't arrived me yet, after a month, but tell me, If I take this card my DOS sound will work? I found another one in e-bay! 😀

Love beer, too.

Reply 358 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dunno why, because some technology deficit, but most of Aureals on ebay are from Russia.. i dunno which country you are, but to Europe it can arrive in 2-3 weeks and tracking numbers are working fine.. Aureal1 - can by scored for 20-30$ bucks, Aureal 2 which is better for 40-60$.
Dont be dissapointed by their dos music.. its bad, but still much better than pc speaker and they have nice Windows 98+ 3D audio stuff.. to compose it and for i dunno 1992+ games you can use external General Midi device, if you want use joystick together you would need some gameport / midi splitter.

Reply 359 of 486, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Srandista wrote:

Absolutely, I wasn't even able to get EMM386 to create upper memory blocks on my nforce 2 board (Asus A7N8X or something like that).

I'll bring the motherboard back up again to give it another go with the vortex 2 if Biessea would like me to try, but really, if you want to use DOS on an Athlon XP cpu, you are much better off with one of the VIA based motherboards. Everything just works a lot better on those.