VOGONS

Common searches

Virtual printer

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 61 of 150, by mot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I just tried that. Now my printer prints 2 lines:

12345X@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE PCL
oOoI t 01 6dl Xl 000XT~, 1 TROTDI SPI FTI 0, 50CF3, 4LB, ~: *r- 3UOGp(

I tried a different printer in WP51, a Laserjet III, and it gives me one line of the same type of gibberish. Do I need a certain printer driver for wp51 to print correctly?

Reply 63 of 150, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Mot, there's a method to print out of wp51 without needing this dosbox patch.
Select a PostScript printer and search for an option to print to a file(I don't remember where exactly, sorry).
Print your document.
As instructed, wp will print to a file. Now you have a postscript file that you can print in your host os.

Iampiti

Reply 64 of 150, by mot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

forgive my ignorance, but how do I actually print a postscript file? I looked briefly at ghostscript, and seems complicated. If that's the best way to go, I'll hunker down and do it. It really needs to be easy from the user standpoint, I don't care if it's hard for me to set up. The output *has* to be PERFECT on the printed page, though.

Reply 65 of 150, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On Windows you should definitely get Ghostview to accompany Ghostscript. It's a viewer for PS and PDF that uses Ghostscript and hides the ugly command line stuff. Of course you can print from that program.

If you want to have it automated in a batch file, you will have to read the docs, but IIRC it should be something like this:

gs -dDEVICE=<your printer model> -sOutputFile=LPT1 <input file>

use gs --help to get a list of printer models (drivers) available.
(Not tested - it's been some time since I used gs.)

Reply 67 of 150, by giapraki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

after downloading 0.61 executable from a post from a previous page, and had a look at the commands :

[printer]
printer -- Enable printer emulation.\n"
dpi -- Resolution of printer (default 360).
width -- Width of paper in 1/10 inch (default 85 = 8.5'').
height -- Height of paper in 1/10 inch (default 110 = 11.0'').
output -- Output method for finished pages:

png : Creates PNG images in the DOSBOX directory
ps : Creates Postscript documents in the DOSBOX directory (default)
bmp : Creates BMP images (very huge files, not recommend)\n"
printer : Send to an actual printer (Print dialog will appear)
multipage -- Adds all pages to one Postscript file or printer job until ALT-F8 is pressed.

i tried to change my config as following :

output=surface

[printer]
printer=true
output=printer

the problem is that i use an old logistics program. So when i print and trye to print in an Epson Compatible printer LX-1505 (i think) it shows the data on-screen and does not direct it to printer.

on tha contrary when i print outside the logisitcs program, in pure dosbox black screen and give
echo mike >> prn
or
echo mike >> lpt1

it prints mike in the dot matrix printer.
why i cannot direct the output from within the application to the dot matrix printer ?

Reply 68 of 150, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
giapraki wrote:

the problem is that i use an old logistics program. So when i print and trye to print in an Epson Compatible printer LX-1505 (i think) it shows the data on-screen and does not direct it to printer.

This does not make sense... Why would any program enabled to choose a printer and then showed the printed things just on the screen...
Three possibilities:
a) There is a button "Print" etc. that you overlooked...
b) The program somehow does not work with the printer patch (try printing from another program in DOSBOX - does it work?)
c) Authors of the programm were mad - the normal uses expects that "Print" prints, so why not to change it... 😀

Mirek

Reply 69 of 150, by Jave27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, new to the conversation.

mirekluza: Would it be worth it to fork the dosbox branch into a dosbox_printer project? No offense to any of the dosbox devs, but printer support from dosbox would be a great addition, and I don't think it would add bloat at all to the original branch. But, if they don't want it for some reason, then it might be a good time to branch off. Obviously, sync up frequently, but it would be nice to have a "stable" branch to work on just the printing issues until they feel comfortable enough with it to take it back into the main branch.

I don't know much about the dosbox internals, but I'd be willing to help out with the endeavor.

Reply 71 of 150, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The way things work right now in the DOSBox community, it would probably be best to just maintain a patch that is compatible with current CVS. That way, one or more of the unofficial CVS build releasers is likely to include it in their build.

Reply 72 of 150, by flatloop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greets everyone, I'm new to dosbox, and from my readings, I can tell that there is a lot to learn. I've spent a lot of time trolling the posts about lpt emulation/passthrough and have a quick newbie type question.

Will the patch allow me to use the LPT port with a laplink cable?

More specifically, I have dosbox loaded on my linux box, and want to use a dos utility to flash my thin clients, this utility only runs over a parallel port via laplink-type cable.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Reply 75 of 150, by asitnik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, Fizzban!

Could you email me the version with the printing support, the fonts and syntax for configuration? I need it desperately! asitnik - a-t - yahoo d.o.t c-o-m! While I am at it, let me sing the praises of this program! It has laready solved 95% of a very difficult problem for me!

Tanks in advance!

Ari

Reply 77 of 150, by asitnik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because the patch, as posted on sourceforge, has showed a compiling problem to at least one person. In any case, I myself am not a developer and wouldn't know how to compile that patch into the program. Additionally, all references to patches or fonts posted "here" or "there" point back to the same 2 or 3 messages, without ever actually pointing to the program or fonts.

Reply 79 of 150, by asitnik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And yet, the only CVS I can get with some type of printer support is the one from ykhwong, but not from the one from Fizzban. Unfortunately, Fizzvban's CVS is nowhere on the list, so I must resort to asking him to send me the CVS and the fonts. Am I being unreasonable to ask for a private e-mail with a couple of CVS files that are not on the list? asitnik a-t yahoo d.o.t. c-o-m