VOGONS

First post, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! so i have gotten on to PCEM - as someone has made a ready to go PCEM with win98se on it, whihc is great for the games i want to play from the late 90s, but the harddrives provided are not terribly large, i would like make some larger drives -like a 2gb size perhaps - i have not found a clear instruction online about this so i am hoping someone can help me here

- i go to the configure harddiscs and select new for the E: driver and i enter in the details cyclinder 1023, head 64, sector 63 but i get the message that the heads cant be more than 16, so i go for the option of 1728 cylinders, 16 heads 63 sectors and i have to restart

but what now? do i have to go int the bios, but what do i do? or is this process all wrong and i need to make the virtual drive through some other program altogether?

Reply 1 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It depends in the used BIOS. Usually you setup the CHS(Cylinder,Head,Sectors) parameters somewhere, or possibly auto and enabling LBA support if supported by your BIOS(to be able to access past 504MB by the BIOS).

Then you just boot your OS, partition the disk(using fdisk for example), then format it. After formatting that it should be usable normally.

That's basically the gist of it, on both real and emulated harddisks(just made semiautomatic nowadays).

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 2 of 5, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

okay thanks, wel some of the drives attached already are about a gig,
so if just make that new drive and go to bios i dhould be able to format from there? where does the had drive img file get created ? is that created once the disk is formatted?

Reply 3 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your BIOS is new enough (like the AMI486 or Award bioses) you should be able to have IDE HDD auto detection for type 47 drives.

If you don't have an image, you must create the image within PCem itself in the Configure PCem>Drive tab, clicking that Drive+ icon next to the folder icon. Remember to partition and format this image after you've booted up DOS or so (though Win98SE OEM discs can boot into an installer with an automatic process for making a single FAT32 partition prior to install)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 5, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so to format the new drive i have to restart pcem but with no other drives attached - currently it will automatically start teh win98 OS from the c drive in it already