VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by frm777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello 2 all!
I have got subject error, when try to use WickedGL with 3dfx Voodoo 2 as a renderer. Can this problem can be fixed? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem is fixable by not making the problem of forcing an old 3d card. Don't use WickedGL (or any 3dfx GL ICD really) with your Voodoo2. It won't magically give you voodoo emulation/passthrough. Also even if V2 had supported >256 tex (which it doesn't), texture upload throughput on the V2 is slow! and would be a terrible experience. I don't care if 3dfx is god or so. It's not happening.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You *really* want a way to run DOSBox on a 3dfx Voodoo2?
1. install MesaFX 6.1 (or better) into the DOSBox folder
2. make a batch file that reads

set MESA_FX_MAXLOD=10
dosbox

3. Run and experience the THE POWER OF VOODOO(tm)

v2dosbox.jpg
Filename
v2dosbox.jpg
File size
16.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Voodoo cards can only do 256x256 textures at best. This wasn't resolved until Voodoo4/5 (and by then it was too late for 3dfx anyway)

The way DOSBox handles the opengl backend is to render the entire screen to a texture, in which OpenGL provides the "free" scaling and drawing performance to any target resolution (if accelerated). All Voodoo hardware are completely inappropriate for this, so DOSBox falling back to surface is the 200% correct course of action.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 6, by frm777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Run and experience..

Hello, leileilol,
thanks for your advice, the errors in the log are now absent. I can see starting of Voodoo and the first screen of the game, but it freezes next moment.. What else can I try to take off this stuff?

Reply 6 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just don't make Voodoo problems and don't cry, and accept that 3dfx had been surpassed long ago. I've had 3dfx cards 20+ years ago, and while I do find it fun making stuff work on them, I do respect the reasons for not supporting them.

DOSBox's OpenGL output is designed for relatively more modern hardware that do support large 32-bit textures, like the nVidia Geforce256. It's there because Linux does not have DirectDraw.

apsosig.png
long live PCem