VOGONS

top20 DOS utils/tools

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 47, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried NC4, NC5, Volkov and DOS Navigator in the past.

I used to be a fan of NC4 because it had some better integration that NC5 didn't have (picture viewers, I think?), but later found out that NC5 has some features I liked that weren't in NC4 (forgot what), so switch over to that.

I recall Volkov was nice but was missing a few things. How much memory it uses is irrelevant, I think, because when you run a program from NC, it vacates itself from RAM except a very small portion.

DOS Navigator seemed to be about bringing in every single feature in the world and the kitchen sink into a single program, and they cluttered the interface and made it cumbersome.

I still have all 4 programs, so can use any one, but lately I just default to NC5, because it has everything I need.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 42 of 47, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes; it was supposed to have rudimentary multi-tasking support, but all I remember is out-of-memory complaints.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 43 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really like DOS Navigator - use it all the time with 386 and lower systems... On 486+ I just use Necromancer's DOS Navigator.
Never really got into NC , whatever the version.
The one thing I can't "live without" is mr. Buerg's LIST program , I still kick my self I did not register it when he was alive... 🙁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 44 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also another old file manager, called "ERGO".
A friend of our family asked me to make a backup copy of his 5,25" diskette.
It's similar to XTree a bit, I think. Directory change has to be done through the top menu.
Picture attached below.

Attachments

• ergo.jpg
    Filename
    ergo.jpg
    File size
    50.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 45 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Does anyone remember DOSSHELL? 😵

Yes, I did use it for a while. The green emerald theme was cool, I think. 😎
One of it's pros was that it was compatible with about any graphics card (Hercules InColor, too ?).
On a VGA card, custom glyphs were uploaded to font memory in order to make the GUI (or should I say TUI ?) more friendly.
Other programs, like PC-Tools (by Central Point and Symantec) or WinBIOS made use of this method, too.

Edit: Speaking of DOSSHELL, strictly speaking, it was nolonger part of DOS 6.2x.
The "extra diskette" (fourth one) was based on the English version of MS-DOS, hence all its programs are in English.
So if someone likes to have the programs in hers/his native language, having MS-DOS 6.0 comes in handy.
Either by installing MS-DOS 6.0 first and upgrading to 6.2x later on, or by extracting the desired files and using expand utility afterwards.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//