VOGONS

Common searches

Do the newest 3rd gen zen 2 ryzen's still have problems with dosbox?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Tmansdc1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm building a new pc and the processor I have chosen to use is the Ryzen 5 3600x. Now I've heard that the first gen ryzen's were kind of slow with dosbox and that there were some problems with the VME and I wanted to know if that is still an issue? If it is I may just go for the i5 9600k or i7 9700k instead.

Any other incompatabilities that I should be worried about? Plus performance will hopefully be better anyways then my two laptops. One has a slightly downclocked i7 4700mq (Turbo limits were all cut by 200mhz to prevent overheating) and my other laptop has an i7 8750h so yeah.

Reply 2 of 6, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tmansdc1 wrote:

I'm building a new pc and the processor I have chosen to use is the Ryzen 5 3600x. Now I've heard that the first gen ryzen's were kind of slow with dosbox and that there were some problems with the VME and I wanted to know if that is still an issue? If it is I may just go for the i5 9600k or i7 9700k instead

DOSBox worked better on Intels. With Ryzen it's doubtful to be changed, but I have no concrete numbers. On previous Zen+ the performance was close to Intel 2xxx.
There are a very few DOS games where Ryzen CPU mb not enough for you. For those games mb better to use hardware virtualization alike Virtual PC (if it works with Ryzens) and on Intels also. The example of such games is Pyl.
Also higher performance mb useful if you want to run Win9x games in DOSBox. But it's exotic and there should be other good emulators.

If you have more money on Intel CPU, you'd better bought 8 core 3700X to have longer timelife for gaming. I doubt you'll play much in several resources-hard DOS games where appears a use to have modern Intel. But to play in future games - rather possibly.

problems with VME were reported as fixed
if you get problems with stuttering - try to reduce cycles or use fixed cycles up to 50000

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 4 of 6, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Silanda wrote:

Going from an overclocked i5 3570K to a 3700X, DOSBox performance seems unspectacular, yet the Ryzen absolutely annihilates the i5 when using PCem.

Zen2 result is interesting in benchmark theme in the signature. To see the degree of the improvement.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 5 of 6, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, there is some czech Dosbox test, i there is no much info about setup + i assume vanilla Dosbox 0.72 and Windows 10, but Ryzen 2 numbers are very bad:
https://pctuning.tyden.cz/ilustrace3/obermaie … 700x/dosbox.png // In legend is more is better..
Whole article: https://pctuning.tyden.cz/hardware/procesory- … aximum?start=10

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 6 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Closing thread. If there is an issue then start a new thread describing the exact issue.

Before starting a new thread keep in mind:
DOSBox is mainly not multi-threaded for reasons.
Processors have different performance. Some perform poorly at single threaded vs multi. It's not a revelation.
Power management, other processes, OS, drivers are a factor.
DOSBox config settings are a factor.
Official DOSBox is compiled with MinGW w/GCC, VS builds may be faster
Official DOSBox may not be compiled with optimizations for your specific processor.
DOSBox performance can not be gauged from a single program.
For those types of games where you feel you must play at crazy high FPS you are better off using a port or virtualization. If there is an issue though feel free to bring it up.
The current official version of DOSBox is 0.74-3 or SVN. No one here cares about anything else unless an issue needs to be fixed in SVN.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline