VOGONS

First post, by Swerv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

I have a problem with the display on this game, see black area, and course is not right either. I have tried virtual box emulating dos 5 and it works OK, so I know the game file is not corrupt. Also tried loads of different configs in the settings of dosbox, but nothing seems to fix it.
Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Swerv

links screen.jpg
Filename
links screen.jpg
File size
103.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 10, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which version of DOSBox are you using?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 10, by qwe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the golfer golfing or hangs the game? Is there sound? Is CPU idle or on 100%? Have you tried a different course? [cpu] core=auto cputype=auto, [dos] xms=true ems=true umb=true, if there is a xxx.swp file, delete it.

If nothing helps: The Links-courses can be used in MS-Golf 3 (Windows), too. For sound you'll have to set the paths.

Reply 6 of 10, by Swerv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The golfer works, but the shot is always hit out of bounds, with the sound playing " its in the deep stuff". Have tried all courses, same thing.

settings are:-

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=max
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto

Not sure how to check the CPU speed. But it is a 9th gen I9. Where would the swap file reside?

Attachments

• after shot screen.jpg
    Filename
    after shot screen.jpg
    File size
    102.3 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've tried the original release version from 1992 in 0.74 and SVN with default settings; the course appears correctly on screen.

I suppose it will be useful to know which specific version of the game you are using, as there were many updates released.

Reply 8 of 10, by qwe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The swp is generated by links in it's own directory. However, this is probably not the point. Links should run trouble-free on the first attempt even with 0.72. I think it's the sound, if it was graphics, there would be no trees at all. Never use cycles=max, auto works better. For Links =3000 is enaugh. If it runs too fast, the sound-driver gets "out of rhythm" and might crash (had this in MSFS). Last trial: Delete links386.cfg, set new options in start-menu ... or try some fresh copy from you know where.

Reply 9 of 10, by Swerv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The version is 1.07
set from max to auto
Found no .swp file in links directory
deleted .cfg
Still the same!

Attachments

• version.jpg
    Filename
    version.jpg
    File size
    137.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 10, by qwe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry no further ideas from me. I guess your version is buggy. Try v 1.21 (also 1992), it works fine. I think i'm not allowed to tell you that this is the version you can find on myabandonware, so i won't do so.