Reply 980 of 1689, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried on my P166 MMX with Bassmidi:

NT4: does not laod as expected.

Win98SE:
does load, set Airfont 340 GS as default soundfont. Playback with default bassmidi setting is stuttering due to CPU power problems. GUI gets unresponsive.
With just the base player window open and record thread stopped it plays less stuttering but GUI interactions result in bluescreen in VWIN32.VXD. Such as pressing "stop".
If I end the player application with space Win98SE recovers to normal operation. Reducing bass settings to 32 voices polyphony and no 32 bit samples may increase performance even more, but as long as GUI interactions after playback start cause the blue screen I stopped further testing.
The blue screen appears only when using bassmidi, with actual hardware midi device the player works.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 981 of 1689, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
realnc wrote:
t9999clint wrote:

Last I checked they didn't port Bassmidi yet. BUT that was a year ago, now it looks like it's there.
I'm totally adding this to my WavePi project, I don't like fluidsynth at all.

How? There's nothing like Fluidsynth for BASSMIDI (meaning something you can send MIDI events through ALSA.)

That's a good point, I might have to make something extra for that then....
But yeah that means I won't be able add that till I finish the other stuff on the list.

Back on topic:
I was running into a few issues on my K6-400 system as well, but I was trying it with one of my larger soundfonts. (500mb)
I'm gonna try some more conservative settings later.

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 982 of 1689, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More results from the K6-400
smaller soundfonts work fine. (30-50mb)
You just have to disable the visualizations.

Reply 983 of 1689, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
t9999clint wrote:

More results from the K6-400
smaller soundfonts work fine. (30-50mb)
You just have to disable the visualizations.

Hi,
Thanks for your report. Maybe changing desktop bit depth can solve visualization performance problems similarly to Elinda's P166 MMX system:
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Website, Facebook, Youtube
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 984 of 1689, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On my Rage 128 pro 16 and 32bit didn't make any difference. Still slow.
I think that card processes everything as 32bit on the hardware level regardless of setting, lower color settings are basically just a filter. I could be wrong about that though.

Reply 985 of 1689, by DevanWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
Here's a new test version for you to try: http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_58_test.zip The last column of the playlist now also di […]
Show full quote

Here's a new test version for you to try:
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_58_test.zip
The last column of the playlist now also displays the Midi mode of the file such as GM/GS/SC88/XG/MT32/NX. Notice that there are 2 kinds of 'GM' mode corresponding the grey vs black GM sign.
The grey/lower case GM means that no real GM ON SysEx is detected but without any explicit SysEx found the Midi file is handled/treated as a 'genaral' midi file.

Don't forget the 64-bit version of the test build! Make sure you include 64-bit test builds every next time!

And you spelled "General" wrong!

Reply 986 of 1689, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DevanWolf wrote:

Don't forget the 64-bit version of the test build! Make sure you include 64-bit test builds every next time!

It's not forgotten. I never did this (and never will) unless someone explicitly requested it. It's because of this:
The x86 and x64 built use different code base because of ANSI/Unicode and special Win9x handling differences and so compiled with different tools. Usually only the final, already tested code is transferred to x64 code base since it requires additional work. I hope you understand this. Otherwise I'm sorry, but you have to accept this anyway.

DevanWolf wrote:

And you spelled "General" wrong!

Is this a joke? As far as I remember there is no such problem on the user interface so you must be referring to the misspelled word in the post itself... Yeah, I usually misspell some words in every seocond sentence in my posts but I hope your effort to understand what I meant is not prevented too much by these evil typos.

Reply 987 of 1689, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, I was kind of wondering why you usually never released a x64 version.
That makes sense and is completely reasonable to me.
Personally I think your English is pretty good for someone from Hungary. (Google says about 20% of people there speak English so I might be totally wrong about that).

Reply 989 of 1689, by foxtrix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

First off, thanks @ Falcosoft for your Midi Player. I am really liking it so far.

But I do have one issue currently, and was hoping that someone could help. WASAPI and/or sample rate selection don't work for me, or I can't get it to work.

I am running Midi Player 5.7 32 bit, and I am using some VSTi synthesizers like the Yamaha S-YXG50. Under Device Settings, I select a sample rate, WASAPI and my output device. But when I play music I notice 2 things:

• My USB DAC which displays the current sample rate doesn't change to reflect the selected sample rate. This works when I output music with WASAPI in foobar2000.
  • Also, I can keep hearing sounds from other Windows applications, so it is not using the device exclusively.

Reply 990 of 1689, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foxtrix wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

First off, thanks @ Falcosoft for your Midi Player. I am really liking it so far.

But I do have one issue currently, and was hoping that someone could help. WASAPI and/or sample rate selection don't work for me, or I can't get it to work.

I am running Midi Player 5.7 32 bit, and I am using some VSTi synthesizers like the Yamaha S-YXG50. Under Device Settings, I select a sample rate, WASAPI and my output device. But when I play music I notice 2 things:

• My USB DAC which displays the current sample rate doesn't change to reflect the selected sample rate. This works when I output music with WASAPI in foobar2000.
  • Also, I can keep hearing sounds from other Windows applications, so it is not using the device exclusively.

Exactly. FSMP uses WASAPI shared mode instead of exclusive mode. So it does not/can not change the native sample rate of your device that you set in 'Default Format' dialog of your output device in Windows. Sample rate instead means the internal sample rate of Bass engine itself that affects Bassmidi as well as VSTi plugins. E.g. S-YXG50 is a good example for a plugin that requires specific sample rates. If you try e.g. 22500 Hz or 96000 Hz you will hear that it sounds bad. And e.g. Munt VSTi is a good example that requires 32000 Hz for perfect timing. Notice that e.g. 32000 Hz cannot be selected as native output rate of your device but you can still use it as a valid sample rate internally for Bass.
Usually the best practice is to use the native sample rate of your device also in Bass (except the above special cases) since this prevents the additional resampling step of the final Bass mix. You can do this easily by selecting 'Default' as sample rate in FSMP's config dialog.

Reply 991 of 1689, by foxtrix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
foxtrix wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Exactly. FSMP uses WASAPI shared mode instead of exclusive mode. So it does not/can not change the native sample rate of your device that you set in 'Default Format' dialog of your output device in Windows. Sample rate instead means the internal sample rate of Bass engine itself that affects Bassmidi as well as VSTi plugins. E.g. S-YXG50 is a good example for a plugin that requires specific sample rates. If you try e.g. 22500 Hz or 96000 Hz you will hear that it sounds bad. And e.g. Munt VSTi is a good example that requires 32000 Hz for perfect timing. Notice that e.g. 32000 Hz cannot be selected as native output rate of your device but you can still use it as a valid sample rate internally for Bass.
Usually the best practice is to use the native sample rate of your device also in Bass (except the above special cases) since this prevents the additional resampling step of the final Bass mix. You can do this easily by selecting 'Default' as sample rate in FSMP's config dialog.

Ok, now I understand. Thanks for clearing that up!

Reply 992 of 1689, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
If you had read the post and the one above it I referenced in my previous post you should have noticed that my response was refe […]
Show full quote

If you had read the post and the one above it I referenced in my previous post you should have noticed that my response was referring to a similar idea:
file.php?id=30941&t=1
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player

Hi,
just to know, if there are any news about this.

Then I would like to ask a feature, if possible, that would really help me with mixing (when working with tons of sound).
Is it possible to have a testbox in a separate small window (like the one for ecample where i write sysex messages) where some one could set a message like this...

Channel, Prog, MSB, LSB, New Prog, New MSB, New LSB
example:

2 ....

(This would change acoustic piano to bright piano and nylon guitar to muted guitar)

so it would be possible to change on the fly settings, before playback again midi file... this would be really usefull, to me for example, for midi obtained from Super nintendo original's SPC, trying to get a similar sound to the one of the Snes Syntethizer and when working with excternal synth and tons of sounds....
I think that this would be a super faster way to change on the fly... whole songs settingsm, trying to mix it. If software find this info in the text box... just change on the fly... the value contained in the midi file.... Just an Idea, thank you for your help.

Aldo

My Videogames Music Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroGamesClub

Reply 993 of 1689, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
Unfortunately I do not have much time nowadays to add new features, especially features that require substantial changes.
As I have written before you can use Main menu -> Patch Change Hotkeys to achieve something similar or use the Event Viewer/Debugger to change patches permanently.
You can also use Midi-OX (together with FSMP) to override patches. In Midi-OX you can find this feature in Options->Data Mapping.

Reply 994 of 1689, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI,
thank you for your answer... as i use it for recording... changing patch on the fly i don't think is my solutions, while, changing event trough event viewer... really require a lot of time for each single song... I was trying to figure out a simple few lines that elaborated real time would have changed the playback...
Hope you'll have some times in future.
Aldo

Reply 995 of 1689, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I was trying to change loop point value trough event viewer debugger windows? I need this because I've a MIDI file created from Game Boy Advance Soundtrack which are out of sync (of about less than one second) and i would try to solve this.
Is that possible?
Thank you.
Aldo

Reply 996 of 1689, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote:
Hi, I was trying to change loop point value trough event viewer debugger windows? I need this because I've a MIDI file created f […]
Show full quote

Hi,
I was trying to change loop point value trough event viewer debugger windows? I need this because I've a MIDI file created from Game Boy Advance Soundtrack which are out of sync (of about less than one second) and i would try to solve this.
Is that possible?
Thank you.
Aldo

Yes, you can do this.
First you should find the affected loop point(s). Yo can do this by setting the filer in Event Viewer to 'Loop Points'. Then you can find all loop points by pressing F3 on the given track.
If you have already found the loop point you would like to relocate you should select it and then disable the 'Reflect Selected Values' option. Then you should select the position you would like to insert the new loop point to and then press Insert. Finally you should delete the original one. That's all.
If you mean loop count by 'loop point value' then it must be a CC# 116/118 type loop point. The loop counter is the 2nd byte. You can alter it almost the same way as above written but instead of Insert you should press Change after modifying the 2nd byte.

Reply 997 of 1689, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
thank you for your answer... I've this screenshot... and i've no value so it's not working i think...

1° song works fine...
Other no, songs 6 for example.

Aldo

Attachments

• Filename
    midi.rar
    File size
    6.27 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    koori.rar
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Downloads
    71 downloads
    File license
  • MidiPlayer.jpg
    Filename
    MidiPlayer.jpg
    File size
    99.73 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 998 of 1689, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, these midi files use meta events for loop points and currently inserting/editing meta events is not supported (only deleting works). But you can exchange meta event type loop points for more versatile common controller type loop points (e.g. CC# 116/117). CC# 116/117 type loop points support even finite loops by adding the loop count as the 2nd data byte. So:
1. Select the current 'loopStart' meta event and type Channel: 1, Event: 176, Byte1: 116, Byte2: 0 (Infinite) or 1-127 (loop count). Then press Insert and finally select the original 'loopStart' event and press Delete.
2. Select the current 'loopEnd' meta event and type Channel: 1, Event: 176, Byte1: 117, Byte2: 127. Then press Insert and finally select the original 'loopEnd' event and press Delete.

Here's the modified song006.mid as an example:

Filename
song006_mod.zip
File size
805 Bytes
Downloads
54 downloads
File license

Reply 999 of 1689, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
1. Select the current 'loopStart' meta event and type Channel: 1, Event: 176, Byte1: 116, Byte2: 0 (Infinite) or 1-127 (loop cou […]
Show full quote

1. Select the current 'loopStart' meta event and type Channel: 1, Event: 176, Byte1: 116, Byte2: 0 (Infinite) or 1-127 (loop count). Then press Insert and finally select the original 'loopStart' event and press Delete.
2. Select the current 'loopEnd' meta event and type Channel: 1, Event: 176, Byte1: 117, Byte2: 127. Then press Insert and finally select the original 'loopEnd' event and press Delete.

Here's the modified song006.mid as an example:

song006_mod.zip

HI,
with your instruction I've been able to solve this; I've had to change manually all loop point because Gba mus reaper generated them in the wrong position 🙁
Absolutely thank you or your help.
Aldo