VOGONS

no sound on HP T5710 win98se

Topic actions

First post, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Assistance required, spent weeks trying to sort this, reading various forums etc. trying different cards as recommended.

I've converted a T5710 to windows 98SE, I path well trodden,

I need some assistance with adding pci sound card, I've tried the sb0090 Audigy, and ess solo 1 sound cards, both well talked about,
the drivers install, in the case of the Audigy, doesn't activate, and the ess, just no sound when everything seems fine,

the onboard sounds been disabled from the bios,

i'm using a generic pci riser, looks pin 1 to pin 1 etc.

does any one confirm that the hp riser is wired differently?

many thanks in advance

regards..

I Like Charity Shops, they're like steam and GOG but cheaper.

Windows 7 - HP730 Air cooled, 8Gb, GT1030
Windows 98se - Wyse V10LE 1.2Ghz, 1 Gb, 16Gb SSD
Windows 98se - Compaq Evo 550d SSF, P4 2Ghz, 1Gb, 60Gb(Partitioned)
Dos 6.2 - HP7510 512Mb, 4Gb

Reply 2 of 46, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Windows recognises the cards, divers install as I would expect, restart just no sound, tried VXD and WDM drivers, using the ESS card shows no errors in the device manager. it's like they aren't getting the sound signal.

get the same results with the default XPe install.

as to direct to the motherboard, the usb/network sockets are in the way, the pci slot is about 3/4in inboard of where an ITX board would have it's slot.

May be the 3.3v bus isn't strong enough for the SB0090. the examples I see usually have the original riser running GPU's

I've bought an HP riser from a nice guy in Poland, should be arriving in the next week or so.hoping this may clear it up. if so lesson learned.

presently using the second one..

Attachments

• hp riser.jpg
    Filename
    hp riser.jpg
    File size
    61.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • PCI_Riser.jpg
    Filename
    PCI_Riser.jpg
    File size
    18.87 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 46, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok riser arrived, no change, lots of crackles, with the ess solo I can just hear sound with my ear up to the speakers, the sb0090, still no output, could I have a faulty sound card?

The PCI works with my pcmcia adaptor, but the only pcmcia sound card I have is a audigy z2 which was never supported under win98 🙁

Reply 4 of 46, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, looks like compatibility issues, tried the cards on a windows 7 itx board and all work fine??

I'm at a loss, might try a bios flash, to see if it gives me compatibility, other people seem to get this to work.

Reply 5 of 46, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of those thin client PCs i see.

Check out Philscomputerlab site and video, it might help... https://www.philscomputerlab.com/hp-t5710.html#

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 6 of 46, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I must be missing a step, already using Phil's driver set, he gets away with a generic riser. Or my cards a clone may be?

also info here https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1630789, google translates it fine.. but doesn't have the issue I seen to be having..

Attachments

• ESS.jpg
    Filename
    ESS.jpg
    File size
    42.2 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 46, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having the same problem but with a SB0100 (Sound Blaster Live 5.1).
Already have the same riser, from Poland, the T5710 onboard sound works ok, but disabled in BIOS and with the SB0100 I only get crappy noises and distorted sound...
Did you managed to get it working on Win98SE?
Thanks

Reply 8 of 46, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the delay,

Not having much luck, going to try using w2k and a audigy2 pcmcia to check the risers Working, winn98se recognises the PCI to pcmcia adaptor but no drivers for the card that I can find,

This could turn to a long thread..

Reply 9 of 46, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm going to try Windows ME or 2k with the same setup to see what happens. I also have a USB2 PCI card, if I manage to find Win98 drivers for it I'll give it a go too.
Lest keep our findings up to date here, as soon as I'm able to test it I'll come here.

Reply 10 of 46, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried the USB2 PCI card... Under Win98SE... Its working great with no errors copying files from the thumbdrive to the internal storage and back again...
So I would guess the riser works ok, the problem must come from Win98SE drivers or the Sound card itself. I dont have any desktop to try the sound card on... So next step is to try to install ME or 2K in the T5710 and see what happens... Better drivers/support maybe, I'll give it a go

Reply 11 of 46, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to add capacitors to the stock PCI riser board.

I doubt a generic one will work properly with sound cards.

See this thread:
Low volume out of Cobra AW744L II card

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 46, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for that reply, this riser is just a little different, but has the exact same 4 unpopulated pads and general layout is nearly the same. Next is going to try that, just have to find caps or order some.
I'll post an update when I do it.

Reply 13 of 46, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried that... Had the same capacitors arround, populated the riser card... and no change at all...
My Sound Blaster Live 5.1 SB0100 works fine in another desktop, borrowed from a friend today, and works flawlessly...
The sound on that desktop is onboard and so I don't have access to another PCI card to try with the riser now populated with caps.
Any sugestions? Thanks in advance

Reply 14 of 46, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi, i'm back...

ok tried the ess solo-1 clone with W2k, used the disk that came with the sound card, now nothing but bso's every boot, I'll wipe and try again,

to hamfisted for that sorta solder job, Checked the phils computer lab video closely, no caps and a generic riser??

shame phil doesn't do Q&A's

tried bios update, just kicked me out.

i'll keep trying, advise welcome, i'v got jedi knight dark forces to play when I get this up and running..

Reply 15 of 46, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm going to buy a different creative, with lower specs, to see if that works... mine needs PCI 2.1 and maybe thats part of the problem...
I cant get a Solo, way too expensive for me to get...
And I'll order a riser just like the one Phil used too next, after that I'm sticking with the internal sound and win98 only... wont waste much more money and time with this...
But its strange, worked ok with him, and we are gething problems...

Reply 16 of 46, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could this be an power supply issue?

I know with some of the more powerfull thin clients if you don't use the correct power supply, they sorta bump a long in only half working, put a proper HP psu on and away they go, everything working. Smart PSU's

can't see how they do it with a plain power jack, but could they?

Reply 17 of 46, by carlosjor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The T5710 uses 12v power supply, 3.3A I think (not at home right now). Maybe trying a 12v 5A or more could do the trick for that extra power need of the sound card.. do you have any to test?

Reply 18 of 46, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlosjor wrote:
Just tried that... Had the same capacitors arround, populated the riser card... and no change at all... My Sound Blaster Live 5. […]
Show full quote

Just tried that... Had the same capacitors arround, populated the riser card... and no change at all...
My Sound Blaster Live 5.1 SB0100 works fine in another desktop, borrowed from a friend today, and works flawlessly...
The sound on that desktop is onboard and so I don't have access to another PCI card to try with the riser now populated with caps.
Any sugestions? Thanks in advance

Did you also populate the tiny SMD capacitor pads?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 46, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlosjor wrote:
I'm going to buy a different creative, with lower specs, to see if that works... mine needs PCI 2.1 and maybe thats part of the […]
Show full quote

I'm going to buy a different creative, with lower specs, to see if that works... mine needs PCI 2.1 and maybe thats part of the problem...
I cant get a Solo, way too expensive for me to get...
And I'll order a riser just like the one Phil used too next, after that I'm sticking with the internal sound and win98 only... wont waste much more money and time with this...
But its strange, worked ok with him, and we are gething problems...

Initially it worked ok for Phil. Then when some people started reporting issues to me, I ordered one of the thin clients myself to try to figure out what was going on.

Phil tested again and it was then causing him issues as well.

Another strange thing was that other brands of cards with Yamaha YMF7x4 chipsets worked fine.

After populating all the capacitor through hole and SMD places, it worked great.

My guess is that other cards have issues as well due to the riser not having capacitors. Not sure if all of them need to be populated or not as I just did it all in one shot.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK