VOGONS

First post, by Mars_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Guys...

After been a ghost reader of the forum for close to 3 years, I finally decided to create my account and be able to share what I decided to create after spending certain amount of time reading the Forum.

My dream is a overpower Windows 98 rig. I'm not really looking for the nostalgic rig that I had a younger boy, but I'm actually looking into making a computer that will be way over the needs for windows 98.

So after reading here and there, specially the Topic about Socket 775 with AGP mobo, and some of the latest CPU and Chipsets to support windows 98 here is the Specs of the machine I will be assembling soon. (if my parts don't get delay by this possible Hurricane we may be getting here in Florida).

CPU Pentium 4 661 3.6Ghz
CPU Cooler Cryorig H7 (if I'm able to modify it to fit a socket 775 since its a 1511)
Motherboard ASUS P5P800-VM
Memory 2x Crucial 256MB Memory Module DDR 400 CL3
Storage Still looking for one, but probably a SATA 120gbs
GPU GeForce 6800 AGP
Case Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case (since I have it laying around)
Power Supply Probably a modern EVGA 450V or but more...
OS Glorious Windows 98 SE

So what is you guys opinion? I spend weeks reading to come up with a proper build, I manage to find the CPU and MOBO new on ebay, other stuff is use but in great shape.

Please fill free to provide me with any feedback! 😊
----------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to add, but I'm looking into a ESS ES1938S Solo-1 as a sound card, whats your guys take?

Last edited by Mars_Boi on 2019-08-29, 02:27. Edited 1 time in total.

9324fe2dee.png

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A SATA 120 or 128GB SSD would be great.

Overall sounds like it will be a nice rig.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No doubt your aware but the 6800's lack of backward compatibility may casue issues.
Out off all my games its only C&C Generals and haven't looked into it so may even be fixable.
I'd only drop back to a GF5 if you do have any games that don't work.

The Ess is a ok sound card but nothing special in Windows, If your droping back into dos for some gaming thats where this card shines.
If your mainly aiming at Win9x games you still cant beat a SB Live though to Audigy 2 ZS which supports EAX or Aural Vortex 2.

In the end it'll be a nice machine to play on. having the horsepower to turn AA, AF, etc up full and show the games in full glory is really nice

Reply 4 of 7, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mars_Boi wrote:

I forgot to add, but I'm looking into a ESS ES1938S Solo-1 as a sound card, whats your guys take?

Since the motherboard is with Intel chipset, you should probably go with either some Sound Blaster, or Yamaha YMF-7x4 sound card.

Otherwise, it's really nice setup, I love these OP builds 😀

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 5 of 7, by Mars_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I receive my motherboard, CPU and GPU today..

I'm scare with the MOBO, there is one but only one pin in the socket that was bend going up, I sorta fix it but it doesn't match the rest of the others..

whats your guys take, should I proceed and try or try to fix/replace the mobo?

there is an intel board I could use, I found online is new, any recommendations on it? the Intel D865GSA

9d7823e1ff.png

Right were my mouse pointer is

9324fe2dee.png

Reply 7 of 7, by Mars_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I manage to secure a replacement mobo from my seller so I will be able to test it worry free if pins are in great shape..

Also I acquired a Course rmx 750 gold psu, little but overpower but I got it at great discount so I'm not gonna complain...

Pictures of the machine will be coming soon!

9324fe2dee.png