VOGONS

My Intel Plato/Premiere II build

Topic actions

First post, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After having mentioned it a couple of times here already, I thought I present my Intel Plato/Premiere II build.

* Intel Plato/Premiere II mainboard with 430NX chipset
* Intel Pentium 75 (gold cap) with passive cooling
* 2x 8 MB PS/2 FPM RAM
* ATi Mach64CT PCI, 2 MB
* miroSound PCM10 with OPL4 and 2 MB Wavetable ROM
* 3Com EtherLink III ISA network card

It's currently running Win95b from a CF card.

The turbo switch overclocks the CPU to 90 MHz with the display set up accordingly.

IMG_20190907_134453445.jpg
IMG_20190907_134516287.jpg

I'll post some more pictures soon.

Last edited by derSammler on 2019-09-09, 16:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 24, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks like a very clean and stock system. I dig it, especially all those period correct components. The case looks fresh too, was it new old stock or just kept in good condition over the years?

Reply 5 of 24, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build, and nice case.

derSammler wrote:

The turbo switch overclocks the CPU to 90 MHz with the display set up accordingly.

How did you achieve that ? is that a feature of the Plato mainboard ?

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 6 of 24, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's only a single jumper to change the FSB (ignoring 100 MHz, which this revision does not support). That's where I connected the turbo switch. Works even while the system is running.

Real turbo mode exists as well, but that is triggered by a hot-key.

Reply 9 of 24, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

What's performance like when you de-turbo (using the hotkey)?

Did not use that feature yet, also no benchmark tools installed on it so far. Will test that later.

wirerogue wrote:

You have any more interior pics?

I have to make some more. I somehow missed making pictures when the hardware was done and the case still open. 🤣

But I have to take out the CF card for backing it up anyway, so pictures of the interior will be made.

Reply 10 of 24, by JudgeMonroe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

On a P5-90 the deturbo mode scores around 68 on Topbench, which is in the neighborhood of a higher-end 386. In practice this is good for older 386-era games but still too fast for anything that really wants that XT/AT timing.

Reply 11 of 24, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

There's only a single jumper to change the FSB (ignoring 100 MHz, which this revision does not support). That's where I connected the turbo switch. Works even while the system is running.

That's clever. I would not have thought that FSB could be changed on the fly (at least w/o fine tuning), but thinking twice the turbo on my 386 does simply do FSB/2 and can be changed dynamically.

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 13 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I approve of this build, and extra points for going with a gold cap Pentium. I think not too many people build with a P75. The only thing I would change to make it more period correct is going with a Mach64 GX or a S3 964. The Mach64 GT is more of a 1996 thing.
I'm trying to put together something similar, only I want a Neptune board with dual P100 gold caps. I have everything except the board.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 15 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JudgeMonroe wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

On a P5-90 the deturbo mode scores around 68 on Topbench, which is in the neighborhood of a higher-end 386. In practice this is good for older 386-era games but still too fast for anything that really wants that XT/AT timing.

Hmm... I wonder how that stacks with cache tricks.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16 of 24, by JudgeMonroe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
JudgeMonroe wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Hmm... I wonder how that stacks with cache tricks.

It doesn't. The deturbo mode on this board *is* (L2) cache tricks.

Reply 18 of 24, by JudgeMonroe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Ah, damn. Disappointing.

The BIOS has separate settings for "Boot Speed" (Turbo or De-Turbo) and "System Cache" (Enabled or Disabled) but in my testing, either and both of these settings result in identical benchmarks, as does the deturbo hotkey. The documentation describes Deturbo specifically in terms of disabling the cache and "adding increased refresh cycles" but I didn't see any evidence of those extra cycles in the benchmark.