VOGONS

Aerosmith Quest For Fame & Virtual pick on Windows 9x

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
This is my first post here, I apologize for any error I might make.

For years I've been looking for the granddaddy of rhythm games: Aerosmith Quest For Fame, dating back to 1995 and developed for Windows 3.1.
Here is the wikipedia page for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Fame .
I finally got my hands on a sealed copy, complete with the (in)famous Virtual Pick. That's basically a device meant to be tapped on a solid surface in order to follow the songs and necessary to actually play the game. It connects via the parallel port, something that made me scrap the idea of using emulation or virtual machines, as I don't have a physical parallel port and I highly doubt a Pci-E adapter would work properly.

This is why I dug up an old computer from the basement, got it running and tried to make the game work. No luck with Windows 98 SE, the installation was inevitably crashing.
I then downgraded to Windows 95 OSR2 and managed to successfully install the game and pass all the required sound and video tests.
Now, the game itself runs (almost) fine, despite some graphic issues, but the problem is that the Virtual Pick shows no signs of life whatsoever.

The PC I'm using has the following specs:
- AMD Duron 750
- 256 Mb ram
- Gigabyte GA-7ZMM motherboard (Via KM133, integrated Soundblaster PCI128, integrated S3 Savage3D: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-7ZMM-rev-1x#ov

Is anyone familiar with this game and that particular device?
Would it be possible to install Windows 3.1 on such a machine?
Should I try every possible setting for the parallel port in the BIOS?
Would I have more luck with an Intel based setup (i.e. 440BX chipset)?

Thank you very much for helping!

Reply 1 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dunno if this will help, but past threads/posts (some are DOSBox related):

Quest for fame
Complete Noob Needs Help
Quest for Fame
Problems with Quest for Fame in DOSBOX
"This program requires Microsoft Windows"
Quest for Fame - meant to run on Win 3.1/95, needs DOS to install but not run...?
Re: DosBox Wish List
LPT USB problem / Quest For Fame

Please don't post in them if their last reply is more than a few years old.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 14, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for replying. I had missed the first one you linked, every other is actually Dosbox related and not helping much.

The archived website looks interesting but there doesn't seem to be anything about "Vpick not working at all"... 🙁
To be honest, I can't find any kind of test for Vpick in the game itself so I'm at a loss here.

I'm guessing it has to be something IRQ related, I just wish I had a clue about where to start.

Reply 4 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sittingduck wrote on 2020-09-17, 09:06:

I have this game and am also experiencing issues, but I do have a couple of insights. Are you still here...?

His profile says he last logged in about 30 days ago, so he's around.

I'd help more, but I don't have the game or the Virtual Pick. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 14, by sittingduck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd help more, but I don't have the game or the Virtual Pick. 😀

I can get the game to almost work. I can install and play, but after a few strums the game crashes with an MMTASK.EXE error, if I recall correctly. This is on Windows 98, I think. It's been a while since I had a go with it, but I remember trying to install DOS and Win 3.11 and try it that way, but I couldn't find DOS drivers for my sound cards. Where are you located - I'm in Denmark.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-09-23, 01:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sittingduck wrote on 2020-09-21, 19:41:

I can install and play, but after a few strums the game crashes with an MMTASK.EXE error, if I recall correctly.

It wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be a timing issue, especially with it being some sort of rhythm game. Were you running this program on an unusually fast machine?

Reply 7 of 14, by sittingduck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not really. All the machines I tested on were from around 2000. Slow Athlons and celerons. Does anyone have a suggestion for a way to test the vpicks's output somewhere else than the game itself - i.e. like mapping it to a letter and testing it in Notepad? Can that be done?

Reply 8 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sittingduck wrote on 2020-09-24, 12:49:

Not really. All the machines I tested on were from around 2000. Slow Athlons and celerons.

I reckon that could still be too fast.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a way to test the vpicks's output somewhere else than the game itself - i.e. like mapping it to a letter and testing it in Notepad? Can that be done?

That seems hugely unlikely.

How about Portmon?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals … wnloads/portmon

Reply 10 of 14, by ThePsychoFox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everybody,

I've recently acquired Quest For Fame and THE Vpick - has there been any progress here? I bout a parallel port to usb converter but have had no luck forcing the PC to recognise it as a one button controller, though the PC does make a sound indicating it's plugged in at least.

Thanks!

Reply 11 of 14, by yourij

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
Just created account here ONLY because of this game. I try to run it on my retro computers. One is P133 with win98, second is more modern Pentium 4 and also with win98.
In both cases i have issues with MMTASK on first one or KRNL386.EXE on the other.
If anyone has this game and actually can play it for more than few seconds of any song please type your specs here.
Sound card, mobo chipset, system etc.

Thanks... 😀

Reply 12 of 14, by CaptainMikaou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yourij wrote on 2023-10-15, 00:48:
Hello, Just created account here ONLY because of this game. I try to run it on my retro computers. One is P133 with win98, secon […]
Show full quote

Hello,
Just created account here ONLY because of this game. I try to run it on my retro computers. One is P133 with win98, second is more modern Pentium 4 and also with win98.
In both cases i have issues with MMTASK on first one or KRNL386.EXE on the other.
If anyone has this game and actually can play it for more than few seconds of any song please type your specs here.
Sound card, mobo chipset, system etc.

Thanks... 😀

Well, Hi !

I'm working on a documentary about this game and I have tried several times to play it.

I was experiencing the same errors as you. (same config : Win98 FE or SE, Intel Celeron 800mHz, 256mb of ram, and Realtek AC97 audio).

I have understand that the midi sound from the vpick cause the crash, if I don't use it, game goes well.

So I have found a Creative SoundBlaster Pro on PCI, config the .ini file in the game to use SoundBlaster instead of GeneralMIDI and it works !!

But, the only "issue" is that now the vpick doesn't make any sound when it makes a note.

BTW I can go throught that haha !

Hope you'll manage to solve it !

Reply 13 of 14, by CaptainMikaou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ThePsychoFox wrote on 2022-08-15, 18:07:

Hey everybody,

I've recently acquired Quest For Fame and THE Vpick - has there been any progress here? I bout a parallel port to usb converter but have had no luck forcing the PC to recognise it as a one button controller, though the PC does make a sound indicating it's plugged in at least.

Thanks!

Hi, I'm sure at 99% that reading a real LPT1 port is hardcoded in the game (address, irq and so). I have talk to the game lead designer and he think the same.

There is no way to use it with an adapter sadly 🙁