VOGONS

Reply 12840 of 27334, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been experimenting with the original '98 Half-Life and patches. Finally I found out that the lastest v.1.1.1.0 patch doesn't work properly with it (game does work but the CD music doesn't play). After some research I found out that V1.1.0.4 does make the game fully work thanks to this page

Reply 12841 of 27334, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was trying to translate the user manual for the Yamaha PCC10XG to English with this page:
https://www.onlinedoctranslator.com/en/translationform

Converted from the original PDF to a Word .docx file first since the straight PDF translation completed destroyed the formatting.
PDF:
http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/devices/P … PCC10XG/manual/

It does the translation fine (expect for grammar differences) up until the MIDI DATA SET page and then it stops translating for the most part. Even tried removing all previous pages and uploading that to the translator and it didn't help.

You can feed the same document directly into Google Translate and it translates everything BUT Google doesn't offer a way to save the file and of course it doesn't keep the formatting either.

Reason I am was trying to do this is because I just received a PCC10XG today that I ordered from Japan and would like to be able to read the manual that was only ever available in Japanese.

Maybe I'll mess with it later. Maybe it is something about that one page that is screwing it up.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12842 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Opened my newly acquired Original Xbox and it needs new caps by the PSU header and CPU (Nichicon caps are swollen and will replace with Rubycons) and the rest of the caps are still good, no bugs, spiders or anything, a bit dusty, but it's better than I expected.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12843 of 27334, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Was trying to translate the user manual for the Yamaha PCC10XG to English with this page:
https://www.onlinedoctranslator.com/en/translationform

I was messing around with that manual as well (copy/pasted certain blocks of text to google translate). Just wanted to understand what that A-B switch is for. But never did. It just states there that the card works in position A. And nothing about position B.
Would be really great to have it completely translated with original formatting.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 12844 of 27334, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It just says that the mode selection switch is set to mode A by default, and setting it to B makes it not work. Not that it's some proprietary mode for a specific computer.

Bing Translate wrote:

Mode selection switch (A/B)
A switch that switches the mode of the sound PC card.
It is set to "A" at the time of shipment. Be sure to use it in the "A" position. "B" doesn't work.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12845 of 27334, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not strictly retro, but worked on a 10-year-old PC for somebody who wanted Windows 10 to replace their aged XP Home install. The PC was a quad core Socket AM2/3 system, with 2GB RAM & basic Radeon 2100 onboard graphics. So first thing I had to do was max out their RAM to 4GB (max supported by motherboard).

They were a bit hesitant to pay for a retail copy of Windows 10 whilst Microsoft are still offering it free to 7 & 8/8.1 users, so I decided to cheat the system for them and stepped through the various upgrades required: XP to Vista to 7 to 10!

It was an interesting experience doing all those upgrades. The upgrade from XP to Vista was excruciatingly slow! The performance of Vista was absolutely abysmal, just like I remember back in the day and this was WITH SP2 slipstreamed in. 🤣

Going from Vista to 7 made the PC liveable once again, so much smoother and Windows 7 ran great.

Finally upgrading to 10 was a fairly smooth process, but as for running the OS - we were back to dreadful performance once again. Just goes to show how terrible Windows 10 really is! Swapping to an SSD solved the Win 10 slowness problems however. An SSD really is the only sane way to use Windows 10.

They only really use this PC for general office usage and light web browsing, so the diabolically crap onboard Graphics suffices, using old drivers.

Reply 12846 of 27334, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@PTherapist, i really hope you didn't leave that upgraded windows on it, but after upgradings, you did a clean install on top of it. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 12847 of 27334, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

@PTherapist, i really hope you didn't leave that upgraded windows on it, but after upgradings, you did a clean install on top of it. 😀

I haven't as of yet, as it's working fine. But that's certainly a possibility with regards to switching to a 64-Bit version of Windows to use up the full 4GB RAM.

They literally only had a handful of programs installed on the thing. I cleared out anything that might cause problems in advance. The only issue I encountered after the upgrade was something had messed up the autoplay function for CDs & DVDs (happened around the XP-Vista upgrade portion). A quick registry alteration solved that and the OS is behaving as if I've basically just done a clean install.

You really can get away with upgrading OS if you haven't got a lot of software installed or as in this case also, if what is installed is pretty basic and not likely to cause issues.

Reply 12848 of 27334, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mister Xiado wrote:

It just says that the mode selection switch is set to mode A by default, and setting it to B makes it not work. Not that it's some proprietary mode for a specific computer.

Bing Translate wrote:

Mode selection switch (A/B)
A switch that switches the mode of the sound PC card.
It is set to "A" at the time of shipment. Be sure to use it in the "A" position. "B" doesn't work.

That's what I read as well.
But if it's just an on/off switch, why do they call it A/B mode selection? 😕

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 12850 of 27334, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've finally received the Olivetti CRT. What a cutie it is! It's smaller than the previous one I had even though it's still a 14", and has some nice features that are taken for granted nowadays. I will post the pictures in the CRT thread, alongside the features it has and my impressions so far.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 12851 of 27334, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

That A/B switch is most likely for PC (A) and Mac (B). Some MIDI modules have such an A/B switch for PC/Mac as well.

That is generally for the serial input though. The PCC10XG is a PCMCIA card. There was never and MAC drivers/software released for this card.

In other news, it looks like the online translator has issues with some pages that have specific formatting such as weird tables and maybe some headers. Working on going through those pages one by one.

Then I'll just have to fix formatting and maybe go through and do grammar fixes so it is easier to read.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12852 of 27334, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is generally for the serial input though. The PCC10XG is a PCMCIA card.

Which does not mean a different mode is needed when using the card with a Mac.

There was never and MAC drivers/software released for this card.

Of course there was!
http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/devices/P … CC10XG/drivers/

DOS, Windows 95, and Mac.

Reply 12853 of 27334, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:
Which does not mean a different mode is needed when using the card with a Mac. […]
Show full quote

That is generally for the serial input though. The PCC10XG is a PCMCIA card.

Which does not mean a different mode is needed when using the card with a Mac.

There was never and MAC drivers/software released for this card.

Of course there was!
http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/devices/P … CC10XG/drivers/

DOS, Windows 95, and Mac.

Hah... I didn't notice that. 😊

However, the DOS/V driver is not for DOS. It is for Windows 95.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12854 of 27334, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my quest for a better Wizardry 6 experience, I made a few changes to my DOS system:
-swapped the 200Mhz Pentium Overdrive for a P120, then downclocked it to 75Mhz. Now when I disable L1 it's about 25% slower. Animations are a little closer to natural speed.
-pulled the S3 Virge GX in favor of the built-in Cirrus Logic GD5428 (going for slower speeds again)
-since the game uses PC speaker sound effects, I removed the Audician 32 Plus and replaced it with my SB16 Vibra, which has a PC speaker header. The piezo just wasn't cutting it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12855 of 27334, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought that when I started my career, coding for IE6 was the worst time of my life, but IE5 is officially worse than that. It’s unbelievable to see that it cannot give layout no matter what I do, to anchor tags and heading tags. Microsoft, what were you thinking 25 years ago???

I was playing with an idea of a web design for vintage browsers just for an exercise, and after two weeks I can see how stupid I am... no, wait, the M$ engineers were back in the day.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 12857 of 27334, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@bfcastello check out a phpbb style named "legacy". It's been made for ie5 minimum and it looks good even on ie4. So if you want to have examples on how to do vintage browser webdesign, this is probably the way to go.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12858 of 27334, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up "Legacy of the Ancients" for PC, which was distributed on two 360k floppies. I imaged them - the disks were thankfully immaculate. Installed and ran great.

I like to pick up originals to be absolutely sure the stuff I've got is unmodified, and this game wasn't particularly easy to get my hands on until recently. To my surprise, these files really are 1:1 to what I had before, although now I have the intact installer. But now I've also got the album, code wheel and other feelies. This stuff rocks.

I have plans to image some other old PC floppies before they rot forever, now that I know what the process is start to finish.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 12859 of 27334, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SaxxonPike wrote:

I have plans to image some other old PC floppies before they rot forever, now that I know what the process is start to finish.

I'm working on this for more than a decade now (see http://pcpp.retro-net.de/), but unlike with other systems like the Amiga, interest in dumping PC games seems very low.