VOGONS

Common searches

NEW iPhones

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some pics.
Now more affordable with a payment plan.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 116, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apple falls more and more behind technological. Just looking at this awful array of cameras sticking out of the back and the effing huge notch on the front compared to the newest Samsung Galaxy makes this look like an ancient brick from the last century. Apple really has lost all its innovative power and just lives by the hype from yesterday. Not long, until Apple ends up in a serious decline in sales and profit.

SirNickity wrote:

It's true. That's why I refuse to buy a house or a car.

That's pretty much the only way for a normal human being to get into your own property. But I can somehow relate to your standpoint. I was raised very conservatively in terms of finances. I agree, whatever you can't afford, you can't buy - with the exception of an appartment/house.

Reply 4 of 116, by JudgeMonroe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote:

Payment plan is for people who really can not afford it. So just don't buy it.

Yeah, no. The payment plan makes sense for people who *can* afford it. It's a 0% installment loan, so it costs nothing, and you can have your money working elsewhere in the meantime. What it really is, though, is a loss-leader (Apple is leaving money on the table by making it 0%) that gets iPhone users "used to" the monthly payment and more likely to participate in their trade-in upgrade program since the whole thing is seamless. You could just buy the thing outright and then sell it yourself when you're done with it, but you'd have to run the numbers on that to see if it's worth your hassle.

Reply 5 of 116, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think new iPhones are nice enough, but Apple made it very difficult for themselves to sell new iPhones by supporting their old devices for so long.

Even my ancient iPhone 5S from 2013 is running the latest iOS (alas, it won't be upgraded to iOS 13 but I think it's time for me to retire it once and for all), my iPhone 7 from 2016 was slowing down a bit but after Apple replaced the battery it became as fast as new again. I may upgrade to the new iPhone 11 (not Pro, I hate OLED screens) just to get its ultrawide camera, but I'm definitely not forced to do this as I know that my current device is likely to be supported for another 3-4 years.

Reply 6 of 116, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JudgeMonroe wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

Payment plan is for people who really can not afford it. So just don't buy it.

Yeah, no. The payment plan makes sense for people who *can* afford it. It's a 0% installment loan, so it costs nothing, and you can have your money working elsewhere in the meantime. What it really is, though, is a loss-leader (Apple is leaving money on the table by making it 0%) that gets iPhone users "used to" the monthly payment and more likely to participate in their trade-in upgrade program since the whole thing is seamless. You could just buy the thing outright and then sell it yourself when you're done with it, but you'd have to run the numbers on that to see if it's worth your hassle.

Yeah, I bet it cost apple no more than $250-300 to manufacture the most expensive iPhone Max.
Paying Chinese Foxconn workers from 50-cents to a couple of dollars an hour.

They must built hundreds of these iPhones an per hour.

But, I don’t think I will get a NEW iPhone Max as my iPhone-5 still works.
I just use it for phone calls anyways.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-09-11, 05:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 116, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These prices only apply if you trade in your old iPhone.

I recently sold my neat iPad Air from 2014 on a local trade website and I was surprised by how much money I got for it. I'm still dancing on the table 🤣

I think that the smartphone market is becoming more saturated by the day. The smartphones only become slightly better at each new model launch. It won't be long before the Chinese brands take it completely over because they can sell at the lowest prices. We are probably at peak prices currently, it won't be long before the prices fall significantly. >€ 500 prices with so much competition and very little improvements are not sustainable for such a commodity.

Reply 8 of 116, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:

I think that the smartphone market is becoming more saturated by the day. The smartphones only become slightly better at each new model launch. It won't be long before the Chinese brands take it completely over because they can sell at the lowest prices. We are probably at peak prices currently, it won't be long before the prices fall significantly. >€ 500 prices with so much competition and very little improvements are not sustainable for such a commodity.

This may be true for Android phones, not so much for iPhones because software is what really matters. And no other phone on the market runs iOS.

In the last several years, many of my friends switched from Android to iPhone (myself included), but I personally don't know a single person who switched from iPhone to Android, even though I'm sure they exist.

I used to be a huge fan of Samsung Galaxy line of phones but after getting my first iPhone, I never looked back.(Not to mention that iOS integrates very nicely with macOS which I use as my primary desktop OS.)

Reply 10 of 116, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

funny guy in this post you said
"Personally, I hardly ever use the phone and shutter at the thought of it.
There is nothing really that I would like to watch on cable tv."

Re: Off the grid

Also it can be said for eveything it costs 30% of the cost price to produce it, but you not looking at the big picture of developing it, testing, designing and 100s other costs associated with it and ofcourse turning a profit because nobody does anything for free really.

But I do enjoy reading your posts and catching out these funny contradictions 😀

ipad is the ultimate computer!

Reply 13 of 116, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote:
robertmo wrote:
ShovelKnight wrote:

I hate OLED screens

Why?

They give me headaches

It's in your head!
(pun intended)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 14 of 116, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SirNickity wrote:

That's kind of taking things to the other extreme. There is nothing wrong with taking a loan for a big purchase if you know that you have no problem affording the payments but just don't have the entire lump sum saved up already. It's like borrowing from your future self, but you get to enjoy now.

In many places (not all), mortgage payments are more economical than rent.

blurks wrote:

That's pretty much the only way for a normal human being to get into your own property. But I can somehow relate to your standpoint. I was raised very conservatively in terms of finances. I agree, whatever you can't afford, you can't buy - with the exception of an appartment/house.

Pretty much.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 17 of 116, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:
SirNickity wrote:

That's kind of taking things to the other extreme. There is nothing wrong with taking a loan for a big purchase if you know that you have no problem affording the payments but just don't have the entire lump sum saved up already. It's like borrowing from your future self, but you get to enjoy now.

Sorry, I would've thought that statement would come across as obviously tongue-in-cheek. I have no problem with the concept of financing a $1000 purchase, let alone a house or car, both of which I do currently have loans on.

What surprises me is the reaction of the tech community, and especially the tech press, where it's been a measly year since the last iPhone release and everyone's like... pfft... whut? It's only slightly better? What happened to the Apple that used to innovate and blow our minds with the release of the smart phone?

A revolution only comes about once in a long while. In between, there are incremental improvements. This year is New iPhone Year, because my trusty old iPhone 6 (bought at launch) is filled to the brim, the battery isn't quite what it used to be (although still makes it through the day for me), and can't quite keep up with the processing demands of new apps and web pages. I'm totally OK with this pace. I don't need a new phone every year, and ~$1000 for what amounts to a full-fledged laptop from 10 years ago shrunk down to something I can fit in my pocket is pretty reasonable, I think. Particularly when it lasts five years under everyday use.

I do agree that smart phones will inevitably become a commodity item. We're getting to the point now where we're pushing fewer envelopes, but it's not quite trivial yet. I'm also appreciative of Apple's conservative choices. I've looked at switching to Android a few times (always curious), but they always seem half-baked and unpolished to me. I don't want something hot out of the lab, I need something stable and reliable. The difference isn't THAT much in performance, but it's infinite in value to me.

Reply 18 of 116, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote:
This may be true for Android phones, not so much for iPhones because software is what really matters. And no other phone on the […]
Show full quote
SpectriaForce wrote:

This may be true for Android phones, not so much for iPhones because software is what really matters. And no other phone on the market runs iOS.

In the last several years, many of my friends switched from Android to iPhone (myself included), but I personally don't know a single person who switched from iPhone to Android, even though I'm sure they exist.

I used to be a huge fan of Samsung Galaxy line of phones but after getting my first iPhone, I never looked back.(Not to mention that iOS integrates very nicely with macOS which I use as my primary desktop OS.)

iOS market share is quite small compared to Android, seen from a worldwide perspective. At least in my country I see that the Chinese brands are getting foot on the ground. I also see that Samsung has excellent < € 300 smartphones. Apple acts like they offer an unique product that's worth 2-3x as much, but I really can not confirm that. For the price of an € 800 iPhone that I can use 4 years I can buy a new low end Samsung every year or two high end Samsung's every two years.

Reply 19 of 116, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do prefer IOS to android. Like the OS you know where everything is.
Android is like newer version of windows, over reliance of the search function as menu is a mess.

That said the premium price Apple charges just for being apple isn't worth it and hardware wise iPhone is behind.

Personally though I don't get excited over any phone, I usually just gets the Mrs hand me downs when her contracts up and she gets what ever is the best deal at the time, don't think we're the market manufactures are targeting 😉