VOGONS

First post, by infernalgr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello friends

I'm the middle of building a retro pc and i stumbled upon some sound issues.

My system as of right now is a p3 866mhz on a esc p6-vaa motherboard with AGP PCI and ISA slots.

After some tinkering i got the ISA ES1868F to work under dos and windows 98, but there's a weird issue with the sound, everything sounds as if it's played at half speed and one octave lower, this is especially noticeable in wav files and game sound effects (not sure if it's happening with midi too cause i don't have something to compare it to right now).

It's the same deal under dos 6.22, and on win98. I've tried different IRQ and DMA settings under dos, different drivers under windows98, different isa slot, different bios version and i'm now out of ideas... Either the sound card it's self has a problem or I'm missing something quite obvious.

What should i do? my budget is VERY limited so i can't just go and buy a awe64 isa and be done with it.
Should i go the PCI route?
i'm open to suggestions.

Reply 2 of 16, by infernalgr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yea the rest of the system is running very well, i don't have another sound card atm unfortunately (nor another system to test the same sound card on) , I'm wondering if i can save the situation as is right now.

Reply 4 of 16, by infernalgr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote:

Can you try opl sound...like an early dos game select adlib. If it's ok then maybe a dma conflict is preventing normal playback of digital sound.

i'm not sure what opl was to do with playing wave files? and if it was a dma thing i would guess i wouldn't get sound at all... dunno

Reply 6 of 16, by infernalgr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well here's what i see, there's a "NA" DMA on the isa device listing. No matter what i try in the bios i can't get it to register a DMA there, not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or that's a problem.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    Filename
    123.jpg
    File size
    974.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 16, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is probably a bad crystal that causes the problem of everything being lower pitched.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 10 of 16, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If there's none it most likely uses 14.31818MHz clock from the ISA slot and chances are it isn't at correct freq, the card is fine but motherboard is at fault instead.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 11 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

are you in GR infernalgr? most likely I have a 1868F card I can just send you - I am not using them anyways

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

let me check tomorrow what I have at hand
I am located in Ioannina

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

turns out the cards are Avance Logic ALS100+ ones... no idea about them tbh if you want one I can still send it over