VOGONS

Reply 2460 of 4599, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Fugutech = PCChips = Amptron by the way.

And I think the PCChips M506 is exactly the same as yours 😁

Thanks for the ID PC Hoarder. Yes, Google took me to a page that indicated that this was a PCChips board, and apparently is the infamous one that had fake cache chips on it! I'm still waiting for the AT to PS/2 adapter to see if it will boot to Windows, but in the meantime I bought a Biostar MB8500TTD for $39.00 shipped on Ebay. Not the TXP4 I would have liked, but the prices on those are downright silly these days.

You can still have real cache with a regular COAST module though.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2461 of 4599, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only PCChips brand, sadly.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2462 of 4599, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a cash register.

CGS_9175.jpg
CGS_9177.jpg
CGS_9184.jpg

It came with most of the peripherals and the netboot server, but the video display (either an LCD or a small monochrome CRT) and the LED customer display was missing, so I'm getting by with another LCD monitor.

CGS_9181.jpg
CGS_9182.jpg

Inside the register it's just a P233 and minimal spec hardware but it has one internal IDE port, so it's totally a DOOM-capable machine. 🤣

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 2464 of 4599, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I looked into that and it doesn't seem like that's easy to do without a driver. The keyboard isn't PS/2 but something serial like RS-485 with its own funky protocol. There IS however an optional PS/2 keyboard with TrackPoint nub that was available.

ibm-4694.jpg

Of course, Deskthority has already found out about it....

Reply 2465 of 4599, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's inside? Is it a normal PC-like motherboard & PSU or something like a PC/104 embedded stack system? Or completely proprietary?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2467 of 4599, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which slots does that riser card have? I'd really like to get my hands on an old POS system and turn it into a DOS gaming rig someday.

Reply 2468 of 4599, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Two ISA slots and one shared PCI slot.

I will hand it to IBM. Everything is modular to the brownish plastic skin of the CPU and when everything is removed you get a pretty nondescript box.

CGS_9178.jpg

Reply 2469 of 4599, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I stopped by a local ewaste place today to check out what they had left outside, and I found an AT keyboard and a Microsoft serial mouse! I can now fire up that computer and see if it will boot into Windows.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2470 of 4599, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It booted up to Windows 98, and I found some very amusing files on it. The serial mouse began having difficulties, and I decided to disassemble and clean it, which had the final result of it no longer working at all! It's kinda hot here right now, so the AC is going and the indoor humidity is low - combine that with cleaning the circuit board with a toothbrush, and I think I static zapped it. The mouse is no longer detected when I power it up. But I can keyboard my way through. I'm looking forward to getting that Biostar TX chipset motherboard this week.

Reply 2471 of 4599, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can wait a while and check the mouse logic board for any bad traces, cold, or cracked solder joints and repair if necessary. It could also be a PSU issue as well, but I have my doubts on that. I have a few serial mice myself and the oldest one I have is a Logitech 2-button mouse from 1993 that I bought at a thrift store for $4. Needed some cleaning on the outside and the inside was clean as a whistle and I thought the mouse was broken. Turned out the mouse was plugged into COM2 (9-pin DIN) on my Socket 370 system, so after enabling that, the mouse was detected in both Windows 98SE and DOS mode (CuteMouse 2.0b4) and is 100% functional.

Reply 2472 of 4599, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote:

combine that with cleaning the circuit board with a toothbrush, and I think I static zapped it.

Yeah, toothbrush hairs are nylon, so that will have had approximately the same effect as rubbing it against synthetic carpet... 😵

Reply 2473 of 4599, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My mother-in-law pulled through again.. my wife was over there and texted me saying she has a trunk full of computer stuff for me, but I probably won't want it. (LOL) It was all by the curb being thrown away down the street and she knows I collect computer stuff so she grabbed it. The cell phone service is shoddy there, so I could only receive 2 pictures of what was in her trunk.. Dell Optiplex GX1p, some Compaq Presario, and some other generic beige PC which may house something decent from the mid 90's. Oh, and she said there's a whole cabinet full of software she grabbed. Gotta go pick it up later this week. 😎

Time to buy a baker's rack for the basement since my computer room is already packed to the brim with over 20 computers.. 🤣

e5qUX8Qh.jpg
^--maybe a Pentium II 450MHz

WDfyh9Mh.jpg
^--possibly a Pentium MMX

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2474 of 4599, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Talked her into turning around to bring it home.. Update... holy effing crap. 🤣. This is the luckiest find ever courtesy of my mother-in-law, and my wife hauling it home. Here's just what I'm saving, nothing else of value or any good/working. The software was completely waterlogged and covered in mold. But, let's open these bad boys up. (yea, they are dirty as hell)

bpAIVHXh.jpg

The Dell didn't have much besides 384MB of RAM, and a Pentium II 400MHz which I took out for parts. Looks like water got inside and ruined the ISA/PCI riser board. Very bad corrosion and mold, not really worth saving anything else from it since I have a bunch more at work I'm going to bring home.

The Compaq had this in it. 12GB Quantum Bigfoot TS
Qi16w2eh.jpg

And this.. wait what's that in the PCI slot?
Vd81tb5h.jpg

Closer..
fWDXAQAh.jpg

Closer..
R1Ad9UHh.jpg

Voodoo 3 3000 PCI 16MB!!!!!!!!!
OFlI2rgh.jpg
KC5kEYYh.jpg
MvVtAMJh.jpg

Inside the Proteva was a Chaintech M101 ATX motherboard, Pentium II 300MHz, 192MB of RAM, a PNY Geforce2 MX 200 and a Creative AWE64. 😁
9VcwuIRh.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2475 of 4599, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dude. Nasty systems, yet the parts are really nice. Make sure you wear gloves, safety goggles or glasses, and face mask when cleaning those things.

Reply 2477 of 4599, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote:

It booted up to Windows 98, and I found some very amusing files on it. The serial mouse began having difficulties, and I decided to disassemble and clean it, which had the final result of it no longer working at all! It's kinda hot here right now, so the AC is going and the indoor humidity is low - combine that with cleaning the circuit board with a toothbrush, and I think I static zapped it. The mouse is no longer detected when I power it up. But I can keyboard my way through. I'm looking forward to getting that Biostar TX chipset motherboard this week.

I tried the mouse again with the Biostar board, and it works fine (though it is reminding me of why I was happy to from a track ball mouse to an optical one all those years ago). Did the serial ports suddenly fail while I was using it with the M506, or did it develop an IRQ or some other resource conflict? I guess I'll never know.

After further use, I finally realized what the issue was; the mouse has a broken wire. When the cursor would stop, neither button would work. If I dressed the cable to the right, the wire makes good contact, and the mouse works fine. I might get ambitious and cut out the bad part of the wire at some point. Though the Biostar board has a PS/2 mouse connector, the case blocks it. I ordered a PS/2 cable knowing I'd have to rearrange the pins in the connector for my board. I initially did it just by the color code, but just to be sure I checked it with an ohmmeter, and it was a good thing I did. I used this image:

FEQAi5Z.gif

But in my case red was data, green was ground, brown was clock, and yellow was +5. I rearranged them again, and now the PS/2 mouse I found works. Now I need to find a Windows 98 driver so the scroll wheel also works.

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2019-09-26, 00:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2478 of 4599, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got these two graphics adapters yesterday. Not exactly a dumpster find, but I didn't pay for them either: dad "borrowed" them from his office. Needed another card for my Duron 700 Win XP / Win 98 machine because the Geforce 2 32 MB I had overheats in about one hour of operation and starts artifacting. Pity as I think Geforce 2 is more period-correct for this CPU than Geforce 4, but whatever.
The other card is interesting. I found some info by FCC ID, turns out it's S3 Savage 4. Is it valuable / collectible? Or is it junk?
Photos: https://imgur.com/a/NwzsKPx