VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most people of the retro community might certainly know Rudolph Loew, creator of various famous Windows 9x patches.
Apparently he passed away on September 11th.

His website is already offline (latest archive.org link)
Quote from the original posting here:

Deksor wrote:
Well I'm sorry to say that I think it will never come back online ... https://kraussfuneralhome.com/tribute/details … w/obitu […]
Show full quote

- PATCHMEM from rloew (website down at the moment)
Without this, I can't use more than 512MB RAM or the system gets extremely unstable up to the point of data corruption.

Well I'm sorry to say that I think it will never come back online ...

https://kraussfuneralhome.com/tribute/details … w/obituary.html

RIP 😢

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 2 of 47, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know alot of people didn't like the fact you had to pay, but you have to give him credit for maintaining Win9x for as long as he did, he was even still updating the memory patch up to 2017.
Some of the other tools looked interesting as well but didnt need them myself.
He'll leave a big gap in the Win9x knowledge pool

Reply 3 of 47, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

I know alot of people didn't like the fact you had to pay, but you have to give him credit for maintaining Win9x for as long as he did, he was even still updating the memory patch up to 2017.

To me, his software worked like magic. I spent a few days trying to get my Windows 98SE box to play ball with more than 512MB of memory and it never worked fully. I was able to boot, but still ran into problems with graphics drivers, freezes or software not starting up.

I bought his patch, one-click-installed it and...done. It just worked! He sure seemed to be a very skillful programmer.

I had already uploaded the RAM Limitation patch to archive.org yesterday. Thanks to a forum member I got hold of the Nvidia GPU size patch and the SATA patch, too.

I have also archived them, so they don't get lost:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator% … olph+R.+Loew%22

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 4 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah when I asked about FAT32 + win3x directory corruption upon exit he replied with a patch so this would not happen... I have posted about it here as well
he will be missed

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 47, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've bought his Windows 9x AHCI driver, which works wonderfully. I've had many discussions with him on MSFN.
I am still, to this day, thoroughly impressed by his work and knowledge.
He was truly an icon, with abundance of his extremely high quality patches, drivers, and enhancements for Windows 9x and other OSes.

Rest In Peace Rudolph, you will be remembered.

I've uploaded the AHCI driver to the Internet Archive, if I get a message saying to remove it, I will obey:
https://archive.org/details/ahci_win9x

Reply 7 of 47, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It'd be good to get in touch with a rep from his estate to see what they would like to do.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

It'd be good to get in touch with a rep from his estate to see what they would like to do.

if this happens I will also upload the 9x slipstreaming tools I bought from him

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wonder what the appropriate amount of time is things for things like that.

I never used his tools but I knew of them and appreciated his efforts and plan to look into them.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 47, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Wonder what the appropriate amount of time is things for things like that.

I never used his tools but I knew of them and appreciated his efforts and plan to look into them.

There's probably not going to be a great time to get in touch, although the burial is over and that's usually a busy period. The key thing to remember is that his software remains under the original license and that we should honour whatever might be the wishes of him or his family.

He was heavily involved over at MSFN, so any message should certainly be coordinated with them. A simple condolence message with an offer to make a statement to the Win98 user community would probably be fine as long as it's written with the correct degree of respect.

Reply 13 of 47, by rloew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My aunt (Rudy's sister) just made me aware of this thread and I appreciate the positive sentiments towards my father made here.

In terms of the patches, please continue to make them available - I want his impact to continue for as long as it can. At some point, I will try to piece together what he had and make it publicly available. It is a difficult time at the moment and figuring out his computers is a challenge.

Reply 14 of 47, by thepolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very sad. Thoughts to the family and everyone around him. I had bought the 98 mem patch and he was very helpful getting it working, answering the few questions I had. Truly a loss to the W98 community.

Reply 15 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rloew wrote:

My aunt (Rudy's sister) just made me aware of this thread and I appreciate the positive sentiments towards my father made here.

In terms of the patches, please continue to make them available - I want his impact to continue for as long as it can. At some point, I will try to piece together what he had and make it publicly available. It is a difficult time at the moment and figuring out his computers is a challenge.

Sorry again for your loss - and it's very generous to want to share his work , it will surely be highly appreciated! Your father helped lots of people in this hobby, he will be dearly missed.

I am attaching in this post the XFILE 2.0 Package , Slipstream Tools Package 1.3 and it's update to 1.4 that I bought in 2014 , maybe someone can add them to internet archive or similar service just like the AHCI driver.

Attachments

Reply 16 of 47, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Such a loss. He was very welcoming and helpful, buying software from rloew was always a pleasure. I was waiting for someone in his family to give the permissions to distribute his software. Please also check https://msfn.org/board/topic/180215-rloew-195 … age/3/#comments.

Below link contains the software I've purchased.

PATCHMEM: Patch to allow Windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME to use up to 4GB of RAM.
AHCI: AHCI Disk Driver for Windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME.
SATA: SATA Patch and INF File for Windows 9x.
TRIM: DOS SSD TRIM Program for FAT32 Partitions and Drives.
NVSIZE: Patches to support 512MB nVidia Graphics Cards and handle
possible Interrupt problems.

http://dottoss.com/files/software/rloew/

EDIT: These files, if anyone wonders, are untouched and in the state they were sent by rloew.

Last edited by dottoss on 2019-09-26, 16:00. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 17 of 47, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

there must be only ONE place for Rudolph's products collection.
we sholdnt make many different and incomplete storages...
assuming, that Webarchive is enough good and stable site, i think, that this link will good choice for all:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator% … olph+R.+Loew%22
of course, we all can make local copies, but also should synchronize it with link above.

Reply 18 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well anyone maintaining that internet archive directory feel free to add the stuff I uploaded here

Reply 19 of 47, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rloew wrote:

That's extremely generous. Please pass my gratitude along to all your family. We'll do our best to keep his legacy alive.

As I mentioned, your uncle was also involved with the msfn.org community. Would you like to register and make a statement there or would you prefer communicating with the community through Vogons?