Reply 30340 of 52668, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JonathonWyble wrote:
Arctic wrote:

Luigi Colani passed away today.

Huh, sad. I can't say I've ever heard of him until now, when you said that. When I found his Wikipedia article, I found out that you were right. It also seems he was more in the automotive industry than the computer biz...

Yeah... Luigi "don't drink and design" Colani... he was generally in the design "industry" not really automotive nor computer industry. I think he also designed some home appliances and stuff like that. I never liked his projects - too freaky for me (I especially hate his Vobis cases - they always looked to me like some old hand driers from a public toilet)... Still he was an iconic designer.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30341 of 52668, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went to recycling again. They had several early 00's AMD boards there for 2-3€ (CPU included), but I decided to skip them as I already have too much crap lying around. Instead, I have this weird fixation on AGP cards so I bought these instead:

agp.jpg
Filename
agp.jpg
File size
495.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

9600XT
AH3450/512

Both 1€ a piece.

Reply 30342 of 52668, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sf78 wrote:
Went to recycling again. They had several early 00's AMD boards there for 2-3€ (CPU included), but I decided to skip them as I a […]
Show full quote

Went to recycling again. They had several early 00's AMD boards there for 2-3€ (CPU included), but I decided to skip them as I already have too much crap lying around. Instead, I have this weird fixation on AGP cards so I bought these instead:

agp.jpg

9600XT
AH3450/512

Both 1€ a piece.

Did they by chance have an MSI KT3 Ultra/Ultra-ARU/Ultra2? Still hunting for one of these..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30343 of 52668, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Did they by chance have an MSI KT3 Ultra/Ultra-ARU/Ultra2? Still hunting for one of these..

Might be a bit problematic (unless you will find slightly used one or NOS - but it still may not work). It's a very good example of the 'capacitor plague' era motherboard. Every single KT3 Ultra and KT4AV motherboards as well other MSI motherboards from this era we had at work (K7D Master for example) died long time ago - one after another, due to capacitor problems which consequently led to blown voltage regulator circuits on them. I still have one KT3 Ultra which I will try to repair and I managed to get two K7D Master repaired but this era red MSI motherboards must be the most unreliable boards ever (they used cheapest caps available I think)...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30344 of 52668, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Might be a bit problematic (unless you will find slightly used one or NOS - but it still may not work). It's a very good example of the 'capacitor plague' era motherboard. Every single KT3 Ultra and KT4AV motherboards as well other MSI motherboards from this era we had at work (K7D Master for example) died long time ago - one after another, due to capacitor problems which consequently led to blown voltage regulator circuits on them. I still have one KT3 Ultra which I will try to repair and I managed to get two K7D Master repaired but this era red MSI motherboards must be the most unreliable boards ever (they used cheapest caps available I think)...

I used to have one and I want to get one to recap; honestly it's a terrific board for retro purposes, Universal AGP and AthlonXP support..

Reply 30345 of 52668, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went to the thrift today, and picked up some AGP cards and a special CD player 😎
The cards are an MSI FX5200 (mostly picked it up for that heatsink, already have this junky FX card), and an ASUS V7100 Pro 32MB GeForce 2 MX400. Both cards cost €1 each. I got one of those ASUS V7100 Pro cards from the same thrift earlier, but given they're rather useful as an affordable replacement for the GeForce 256, I'll gladly get another for that price.

Image removed for copyright reasons.
Now, about that CD player. It's a Philips model, it was untested and it only cost me €2. But I wouldn't post about it here if it were just a CD player, right? 🤣

Image removed for copyright reasons.
Yep, it's a Philips CD-i unit! I did get another CD-i unit from this thrift before, but it was a VCR sized Matchline model with a dead laser. This one is a much compacter model, the CD-i 470. I much prefer this size of CD-i player, and it works just fine! It also has the Digital Video Cartridge, and came with a Video CD with movie highlights. The CD tray does need some attention, it screeches a bit when closing, and it doesn't quite lock, meaning that if you pick up the unit and hold it with the CD tray facing the ground, the CD tray will pop out.

One disadvantage of this unit is that it doesn't have RGB SCART or S-Video. However, mods exist to get this to work, specifically on Assembler Games (you might need to use the Internet Archive to open this link, the forum was supposed to shut down months ago and who knows when/if it will actually happen). I also don't have a controller, but an Arduino based solution exists for converting a SNES pad to the CD-i. I think I'll have some fun playing some mediocre games soon 🤣

Last edited by Daniël Oosterhuis on 2020-01-21, 10:15. Edited 1 time in total.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 30347 of 52668, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Gigabyte GA-5AX has arrived today, looks to be in perfect condition, just a bit dusty.

I finally have almost all the bits to assemble a Super Socket 7 system:

- a decent motherboard
- a choice of AMD K6-2+ and K6-III+ CPUs
- 384 MB of PC133 SDRAM
- ESS sound card
- IDE SSD + 40 to 44 pin adapter

I now need to get a decent video card, a CD drive and a Gotek floppy emulator (in fact, I already ordered one but it seems to be traveling on a slow boat from China) and that's it.

Reply 30348 of 52668, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Received some small things today:
full.jpg

A 16GB PATA DOM (for my ultimate P3 Win98 machine), two 120GB Samsung SATA SSDs (one destined for my dual G5 PowerMac, the other for one of my sons' computers) and 5 OPL-2 chips.

At least, that's what the markings say and that's how they behave - I tested all five in my Snark Barker and they sound identical to the sixth chip here, the OPL-2 I already have. However they look rather different, with a (poorly tooled) circular notch instead of an indicator dot on my other one. These five are closer to what real OPL-2s look like, but with mfg dates indicating 2010, the inscription is as iffy as the 2013 on my 'old' one. But if they work, I don't care. I only needed one for an AdLib replica, and another for a friend. But five was cheaper than two 😜

Reply 30349 of 52668, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:

This XT clone. Works perfectly fine (judging by the files metadata it was last used in 1994 and was destined for a scrap yard recently). I even got XT keyboard with it for free.

Was that cat a part of the bundle as well? 😁

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 30351 of 52668, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote:
HanJammer wrote:

This XT clone. Works perfectly fine (judging by the files metadata it was last used in 1994 and was destined for a scrap yard recently). I even got XT keyboard with it for free.

Was that cat a part of the bundle as well? 😁

Nope, that's my assistant, Wiorek (Chip), making general inspection of the hardware prior to the first run.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30352 of 52668, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote:

IMG_20190916_205325.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190916_205325.jpg
File size
524.1 KiB
Views
File license

Noice! Have the same case for my restored 286-12 which I am getting ready to sell. Fantastic AT case.

286-12.jpg
Filename
286-12.jpg
File size
985.82 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 30353 of 52668, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
HanJammer wrote:

The attachment IMG_20190916_205325.jpg is no longer available

Noice! Have the same case for my restored 286-12 which I am getting ready to sell. Fantastic AT case.

The attachment 286-12.jpg is no longer available

Yes, that's very similar - main difference being mine has hinged upper cover...

I plan on refreshing it this weekend - it's in very good condition so it should came out nicely.
I also have another one of these which I keep for some older 286 build and one looking more like 5150 - both are cleaned now and look nice but I don't have more recent pics...

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30356 of 52668, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Gravis Ultrasound 2.4 boxed - this is my first GF1 based card

The attachment Gravis Ultrasound.jpg is no longer available

Holy shit. That thing must be worth a fortune. Show us some pics when you get it.

I actually had it when I posted those other pics. Just hadn't had a chance to take pictures. The outer box actually got a little bit messed up in shipping. 😢

box front.jpg
Filename
box front.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File license
box back.jpg
Filename
box back.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
inner box.jpg
Filename
inner box.jpg
File size
793.84 KiB
Views
File license
card front.jpg
Filename
card front.jpg
File size
747.5 KiB
Views
File license
card back.jpg
Filename
card back.jpg
File size
704.03 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30357 of 52668, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And a few more:

disks.jpg
Filename
disks.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license

- have the original envelope the disks, etc came in but I didn't figure a picture was needed.

literature.jpg
Filename
literature.jpg
File size
849.08 KiB
Views
File license
flyer front.jpg
Filename
flyer front.jpg
File size
340.38 KiB
Views
File license
flyer back.jpg
Filename
flyer back.jpg
File size
861.47 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30358 of 52668, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn you! I envy those desktop cases so much.. Not a single one to be found (in decent condition) where I live; understandable as computers were a VERY small market in a poor economy at the time, C64s dominated everything..

Reply 30359 of 52668, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish I can find a Gravis UltraSound ACE cheap someday for my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus to turn it into the ultimate sound card machine.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser