VOGONS

Reply 2480 of 4602, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Matth79 wrote:

A GeForce 4 MX440 is really a kind of Geforce 2 in disguise.

Thanks, I didn't realize that! Didn't occur to me to check the specs, and back in the day I thought it was truly a new-gen core, just a very trimmed one.

So happened that my family could never afford a PC until as late as 2003, and I'm still grateful to my dad for picking a Radeon 9600 256 MB for our first machine over the cheap and popular GF 4 MX 440, so I never had to find out how slow it was. 9600 aged very gracefully over the years, I was able to play all the new games up until I bought a new PC, for my own money this time, in mid 2007. I remember the bloom effect in HL 2: Ep 1 was very taxing, though, bringing FPS down to 20 - which didn't keep me from playing this way 😀

Reply 2481 of 4602, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While the GF4 MX440 is the continuation of the - by then - discontinued GF2 MX400, which was the go-to GPU for OEMs and office environments, it it worth noting that it is actually a tad stronger as the GF2 MX400. The GF4 MX440 is basically a GF2 MX400 on steroids.

Reply 2482 of 4602, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The geforce 4 mx has memory bandwidth saving technology that the Geforce 2 MX/GTS chips didn't have.

This improved performance quite a bit over the old GF2 MX. Otherwise, they offer extremely similar feature sets.

Reply 2483 of 4602, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know these need a good wash, but i couldn't let them go. they were in a old warehouse forgotten for way too long and were about to be thrown out.

IMG_20190925_140223.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190925_140223.jpg
File size
822.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The top one even though it's a rubber dome IBM keyboard, it's a really good one, and the other two..They're IBM Model2! I've been searching for a while online and it seems these always need caps replacement, easy job.
The problem is with that pesky RJ11 connector. I've read they're pin to pin compatible with PS/2 protocol, and also read they're incompatible so i'm not sure what to believe. I may need to create a new thread for this.
Even if i won't find any solution, i'll find inside where's VCC and GND and the other two should be clock and data. Give the first two are sorted out it won't hurt to switch around clock and data.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 2484 of 4602, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So on the M2 keyboards.. when you open them up to replace the caps, a billion pieces will fall out. No fun reassembling.

rick6 wrote:
I know these need a good wash, but i couldn't let them go. they were in a old warehouse forgotten for way too long and were abou […]
Show full quote

I know these need a good wash, but i couldn't let them go. they were in a old warehouse forgotten for way too long and were about to be thrown out.

IMG_20190925_140223.jpg

The top one even though it's a rubber dome IBM keyboard, it's a really good one, and the other two..They're IBM Model2! I've been searching for a while online and it seems these always need caps replacement, easy job.
The problem is with that pesky RJ11 connector. I've read they're pin to pin compatible with PS/2 protocol, and also read they're incompatible so i'm not sure what to believe. I may need to create a new thread for this.
Even if i won't find any solution, i'll find inside where's VCC and GND and the other two should be clock and data. Give the first two are sorted out it won't hurt to switch around clock and data.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 2485 of 4602, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@rick6
I've been using one on my Core i5 without any issues concerning PS/2. Unfortunately when I disassembled it, I broke some clips and it started to malfunction because the controller card didn't make good contact against the membrane 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2486 of 4602, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

@rick6
I've been using one on my Core i5 without any issues concerning PS/2. Unfortunately when I disassembled it, I broke some clips and it started to malfunction because the controller card didn't make good contact against the membrane 🙁

Because you said that i've decided to solder the new caps without removing the controller, and after sorting that RJ11 plug pinout to PS/2 it worked! Problem is that not all keys register, only to find that the same clips that you broke were already broken on mine. Not only that the foam that pressures the membrane against the controller board is rotten and turned to goo. I'll be reaplcing it with some hard rubber and for the broken clips that hold the controller in place, i'll replace them with screws.

I hope it works, because with all it's faults, these keyboard are actually nice!

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 2487 of 4602, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tell me if that works because I'd really like to fix this keyboard ! 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2488 of 4602, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this little gem in a pile of e-waste in the forest where stupid people go to dump their trash illegally.

Attachments

• DSCN2807.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN2807.JPG
    File size
    510.89 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2489 of 4602, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote:

Found this little gem in a pile of e-waste in the forest where stupid people go to dump their trash illegally.

Where is this magical forest traveler?

(and so it was that many Vogons guild members gathered in this newly discovered land after gaining knowledge of the forested location and told fantastic tales about their adventures)

Reply 2490 of 4602, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You would be disappointed in that magical forest, most of that trash are old furnitures and construction waste. Authorities are powerless to stop it so many of our nature reserves are cluttered with it. I only found this CPU because I have a disease where I have to dig through any trash pile that contains electronics. 😉

Reply 2491 of 4602, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found one of these roland speakers recently. It works and I cleaned it up, but unfortunately it doesn't have a pair so it is unlikely I can do anything with it. It seems very difficult to find a pair for it online especially one with euro plug.

ma-12.jpg
Filename
ma-12.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 2492 of 4602, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

I found one of these roland speakers recently. It works and I cleaned it up, but unfortunately it doesn't have a pair so it is unlikely I can do anything with it. It seems very difficult to find a pair for it online especially one with euro plug.

There was one for sale on eBay Classifieds in Germany just a few days ago. A single MA 12C, asking price was 25€. But the ad has been taken offline by now. 😐
I could have bought it, but found it to be rather pointless to buy a single speaker...

My retro computers

Reply 2493 of 4602, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gex85 wrote:
Baoran wrote:

There was one for sale on eBay Classifieds in Germany just a few days ago. A single MA 12C, asking price was 25€. But the ad has been taken offline by now. 😐
I could have bought it, but found it to be rather pointless to buy a single speaker...

On top of that, if it's like the MA-5s I own, you need both speakers to be able to connect them to something because the left speaker connects to the right one and then the right one connects to the sound output...

Reply 2494 of 4602, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
gex85 wrote:
Baoran wrote:

On top of that, if it's like the MA-5s I own, you need both speakers to be able to connect them to something because the left speaker connects to the right one and then the right one connects to the sound output...

I don't think that is the case. There is no difference between left and right speaker as far as I know and you just need to input one of the stereo channels each. I can't find any markings on this one about it being left or right speaker.

Reply 2495 of 4602, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
gex85 wrote:
Baoran wrote:

AFAIK the MA 12Cs can (and in fact have to) be operated separately. Each speaker comes with its own amp, volume/tone control and inputs. For connecting them to your sound card you would use a Y-cable (3.5mm stereo jack to 2x 6.3mm mono jack). Seems a bit inconvenient to me but I think this setup not uncommon for studio monitors (which doesn't mean that I think these speakers qualify as "studio monitors").

My retro computers

Reply 2496 of 4602, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this AMD heat sink in an e-waste dumpster today. Does anyone now what AMD socket is this for?

Attachments

• IMG_8571.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8571.JPG
    File size
    395.48 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2497 of 4602, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote:

Found this AMD heat sink in an e-waste dumpster today. Does anyone now what AMD socket is this for?

They are surely AM2 and Socket 939 compatible, I am however sure that they will also fit Socket 940, as I have recently bought two old stock ones of these for use in my dual Opteron Socket 940 server build.

snjFWvNl.jpg

The original fans were 70x70mm and go way past 6000 rpm and are god damn loud (typical for servers).

EDIT: Compatible with Socket 754, 939, 940, AM2, AM3, AM4, FM1 and FM2.

Reply 2499 of 4602, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I rescued this lovely Asus A7V8X from the recycle pile yesterday. Unfortunately it doesn't work, no idea why... I can't see anything obviously wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

CameraZOOM-20191007012742480.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20191007012742480.jpg
File size
218.52 KiB
Views
File license

😜

Fortunately I only wanted it for the PLCC BIOS chip (and the CR2032 holder, which I harvested weeks ago and then put the board back.) However, I managed to bend and break off the tip of one pin when I was pulling it out with inadequate tools:

CameraZOOM-20191007150830362.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20191007150830362.jpg
File size
240.45 KiB
Views
File license

^^ I think this is still fine? These pins connect on the side and don't make any contact where they're folded up into the bottom, right?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!