VOGONS

Ideal Voodoo 2 Cooling?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using a fan is better.. that way you don't need to worry about removing the heatsinks later without causing damage

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 21 of 34, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All of this is preventive maintenance rather then necessity so there isn't a "correct" answer.
Personally I just have a fan pointing at my V2's but if you already have the heatsinks I'd just go with them, add one to the RAMDAC if it makes you sleep better at night as it wont hurt.

Reply 22 of 34, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is what I did for cooling both Voodoo 2 and Fire GL 1000 Pro in my 200Mhz MMX build.
Cheap chinese fan holder
92mm Zephyr Silentium fans powered via 7V mod to reduce rpm
Cards rearranged to allow decent space in between them
There is maybe 1-1,5cm clearance btw the fan intakes and metal sheet cover of the AT case
Should work fine

024.jpg
Filename
024.jpg
File size
240.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 34, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
assasincz wrote:
This is what I did for cooling both Voodoo 2 and Fire GL 1000 Pro in my 200Mhz MMX build. Cheap chinese fan holder 92mm Zephyr S […]
Show full quote

This is what I did for cooling both Voodoo 2 and Fire GL 1000 Pro in my 200Mhz MMX build.
Cheap chinese fan holder
There is maybe 1-1,5cm clearance btw the fan intakes and metal sheet cover of the AT case
Should work fine

024.jpg

I would like to do this too, do you leave the side panel off when your PC is running? or does your case have side holes for intake?

I suppose if the case does not have side holes, it would still pull air from any open holes around the case, most likely back and front.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 24 of 34, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have just a noctua fan blowing to between SLI cards and the chips dont even get too hot to touch anymore even without any heatsinks on the chips. They were very hot before I installed the fan.

Reply 25 of 34, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had overheating problems running a V2 in conjunction with a P3. The card would crap out after a few minutes of play. I solved the problem by mounting a fan in the case blowing cold air onto the video cards. I also underclocked the V2 in software.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 26 of 34, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
svfn wrote:
assasincz wrote:
This is what I did for cooling both Voodoo 2 and Fire GL 1000 Pro in my 200Mhz MMX build. Cheap chinese fan holder 92mm Zephyr S […]
Show full quote

Cheap chinese fan holder
Should work fine

024.jpg

I would like to do this too, do you leave the side panel off when your PC is running? or does your case have side holes for intake?

I suppose if the case does not have side holes, it would still pull air from any open holes around the case, most likely back and front.

No the case is closed during use, there is ca 1cm clearance so it just stirs the air that is inside the case anyways...I would hate to deserate my lovely AT case with sidevents though...

Reply 27 of 34, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I am reluctant to alter my V2 with heatsinks or replace it on the V3. Currently running with side panel open but I will add a side case fan via PCI bracket later, in addition to front intake fan, there's no mount for exhaust on my old cases, hopefully that's enough to cool it. Pretty impressive that most cards back then run without active cooling in OEM desktops that are cramped and only relying on PSU fan 😲

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 29 of 34, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would just put a fan to blow on the card(s) if possible, you will probably find out that it is more effective in terms of cooling and don't need to glue anything to the chips. If you still want to use heatsinks, just get those that come with double sided thermal tape (and are appropriately sized of course) and stick one on each 3DFX chip... I wouldn't bother with the memory chips.

Reply 30 of 34, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks again..

I am setting up two small fans to be placed on top of the cards. I have the fans connected together and a Y cable for the connections to the MOBO, but am trying to figure out the best way to attach the fans on top of the cards so they stay there.

Reply 31 of 34, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Smack2k wrote:

Thanks again..

I am setting up two small fans to be placed on top of the cards. I have the fans connected together and a Y cable for the connections to the MOBO, but am trying to figure out the best way to attach the fans on top of the cards so they stay there.

I'm not so sure I understand where you are planning to put those fans. The fan holder mentioned above is an excellent option if you want to put them on the side.

Reply 32 of 34, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up making a mount for the two fans to sit on top of the Voodoo2 Cards. The final look is similar to the photos above with the fan holder..

Next step is better cable management in the system....its a p3 machine, but I may get a newer case just to manage the cables better!

Reply 33 of 34, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It’s kind of “jimmy” but you could buy a couple of these brackets and bolt then together and then bend the end so it wraps around the end of the video cards and then attach a fan to the end of the bracket.

This will give you cooling coming from the front to back of the video cards.
Or if you can find some thin fans and there is room enough in your cases side you could just use one bracket.

Large heat sinks will also help disparate heat.

Attachments

Reply 34 of 34, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is my ideal Voodoo 2 cooling setup:

IMG_20191003_221318.jpg
Filename
IMG_20191003_221318.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20191004_010318.jpg
Filename
IMG_20191004_010318.jpg
File size
947.64 KiB
Views
File license

Parts used:

- Radeon 9600XT
- Zalman ZM80D-HP
- Zalman ZM-OP1
- a couple of cheap heatsinks

The big fan cools both cards very well and since it's running only on 5 volts, it's very quiet.
It also looks pretty good in my opinion. 😎

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"