Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 1841 of 2397, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You're mounting the image as if it has a FAT filesystem, but it has none, which is why it is rejected by the added sanity checks. If you specify drive 2 instead of C and add the "-fs none" switch then mounting should work fine for your purpose. Not the first time someone has gotten hung up by this, so perhaps the error message could be improved to suggest specifying no filesystem when mounting.

Reply 1842 of 2397, by peakymonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there new here with a quick question .. i usually use dosbox on my crt monitor and it switches resolutions correctly ie 70hz dos mode
was playing with dosbox-x but i cant seem to get it to play ball with my crt all i can get is 60hz scaled and it looks terrible on a crt i have tried every setting no matter what i get fluffy looking screen in 60hz .... anyone running on a crt without issues ? thanks

Reply 1843 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

You're mounting the image as if it has a FAT filesystem, but it has none, which is why it is rejected by the added sanity checks. If you specify drive 2 instead of C and add the "-fs none" switch then mounting should work fine for your purpose. Not the first time someone has gotten hung up by this, so perhaps the error message could be improved to suggest specifying no filesystem when mounting.

Ok, so 2 issues.

1st. this breaks the workflow of going from a blank drive, to partitioned to formatted.
2nd. why is it OK to have a blank drive with no filesystem, but not a partitioned drive with no filesystem?

Perhaps instead of rejecting such a case, it should just give a message saying that no filesystem, or no supported filesystem was found, and may still need to be created. And attach the device anyway.

But thanks for the suggestion, I will change my config to specify drive 2 instead of C as suggested.

Reply 1844 of 2397, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
_Rob wrote:

why is it OK to have a blank drive with no filesystem, but not a partitioned drive with no filesystem?

I'm not sure. I believe you must include the "-fs none" switch for a blank image as well, at least in official source where the added sanity checks were adopted from. In any case, it will always be problematic if DOSBox is using the FAT drive backend on an image that does not have a FAT filesystem.

I guess you would like the FAT or no FAT choice to be automatic, and perhaps it could be, but image mounting currently assumes FAT when a drive letter and no -fs switch is specified.

Reply 1845 of 2397, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am still scratching my head... DOSBox-X (or any other DOSBox patched with NE2000) only gets to the internet when I use my ethernet connection. It fails with wifi. I know someone has told me before the reason why, but it just doesn't look right to me. Could someone explain in simple terms why it doesn't work with wifi? Because, there is a scenario where this doesn't look right to me:

When I use DOSBox-X in a VM. The guest linux has only ethernet, and the host macOS has only wifi. DOSBox-X compiled and running from the guest machine can connect to the internet despite of this configuration. Strange....

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1846 of 2397, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Patch was applied to only one of the two key sets:

void KEYBOARD_AddKey2
case KBD_printscreen:
extend=true;
if (pressed) { ret=0x12; ret2=0x7c; }
else { ret=0x7c; ret2=0x12; }
void KEYBOARD_AddKey1
case KBD_printscreen:
KEYBOARD_AddBuffer(0xe0);
KEYBOARD_AddBuffer(42 | (pressed ? 0 : 0x80));
KEYBOARD_AddBuffer(0xe0);
KEYBOARD_AddBuffer(55 | (pressed ? 0 : 0x80));

Reply 1847 of 2397, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bfcastello wrote:

I am still scratching my head... DOSBox-X (or any other DOSBox patched with NE2000) only gets to the internet when I use my ethernet connection. It fails with wifi. I know someone has told me before the reason why, but it just doesn't look right to me. Could someone explain in simple terms why it doesn't work with wifi? Because, there is a scenario where this doesn't look right to me:

When I use DOSBox-X in a VM. The guest linux has only ethernet, and the host macOS has only wifi. DOSBox-X compiled and running from the guest machine can connect to the internet despite of this configuration. Strange....

Winpcap doesn't support wireless. npcap does. I don't know if the NE2000 patch has been updated with npcap support. When using DOSBox in a VM then it's not using wireless inside the guest it's using wired.

According to the website npcap only works on Windows 7+. Not sure how true that is would need to do some tests but considering NDIS 6 started with Vista then possibly Vista would be the minimum for npcap.

Winpcap works on 9x-8.1

Mabye the patch can be updated to support both assuming the NE2000 patch doesn't work with npcap.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1848 of 2397, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the explanation! So, no “love” for macOS in this NE2000 patch? Well...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1849 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
peakymonster wrote:

Hi there new here with a quick question .. i usually use dosbox on my crt monitor and it switches resolutions correctly ie 70hz dos mode
was playing with dosbox-x but i cant seem to get it to play ball with my crt all i can get is 60hz scaled and it looks terrible on a crt i have tried every setting no matter what i get fluffy looking screen in 60hz .... anyone running on a crt without issues ? thanks

Video modesetting in fullscreen is disabled in DOSBox-X.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1850 of 2397, by pantercat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I think I come across some bug in the dosbox-x debugger.

I want to write CF opcode (IRET instruction) in some memory address, so I put in the debugger window:

SM xxxx:yyyy CF

However, the byte in memory address xxxx:yyyy changes to 00 instead of CF

No problem with other opcodes so far.

I'm using dosbox-x 0.82.22 && Debian testing.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

Reply 1851 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pantercat wrote:
Hi, I think I come across some bug in the dosbox-x debugger. […]
Show full quote

Hi, I think I come across some bug in the dosbox-x debugger.

I want to write CF opcode (IRET instruction) in some memory address, so I put in the debugger window:

SM xxxx:yyyy CF

However, the byte in memory address xxxx:yyyy changes to 00 instead of CF

No problem with other opcodes so far.

I'm using dosbox-x 0.82.22 && Debian testing.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

You may be using a binary release made before the bug with SM and xxxx:yyyy memory addresses was fixed. It seems to work here with the latest commit.

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1852 of 2397, by pantercat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, window title says "dosbox-x 0.82.22" so I'm pretty sure it's the latest version.

Anyway I've downloaded again https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/ar … v0.82.22.tar.gz and I've compiled it from a clean directory and problem remains.

I just realized that the byte dosbox-x overwrites seems to depend on the memory address. For example

sm 1000:772C CF -> byte becomes 00 instead of CF
sm 03C0:01D0 CF -> byte becomes 01 instead of CF

If you need some other tests just let me know. Thank you! 😀

Reply 1853 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pantercat wrote:
Hi, window title says "dosbox-x 0.82.22" so I'm pretty sure it's the latest version. […]
Show full quote

Hi, window title says "dosbox-x 0.82.22" so I'm pretty sure it's the latest version.

Anyway I've downloaded again https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/ar … v0.82.22.tar.gz and I've compiled it from a clean directory and problem remains.

I just realized that the byte dosbox-x overwrites seems to depend on the memory address. For example

sm 1000:772C CF -> byte becomes 00 instead of CF
sm 03C0:01D0 CF -> byte becomes 01 instead of CF

If you need some other tests just let me know. Thank you! 😀

I fixed the bug after the binary release, compile the latest commit from master.

Reply 1855 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pantercat wrote:

Great! No hurries, I can wait for the next official release.

Clearly if you can compile the source code from the release section, you can also git clone from the project page as well. The latest commit to master has the latest fixes and improvements.

git clone https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x.git

Reply 1856 of 2397, by pantercat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure, but I generally prefer to avoid master branch.

I can use DOSBox debugger in the meantime. Every month or so a new release of DOSBox-X is out so no hurries for me.

I'm happy to see this have already been fixed. Thank you!

Reply 1857 of 2397, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone know why, when I boot from a disk image, dosbox shows me a boot menu like:
"Booting from drive C..."
"F1 . . . Dos"
"F5 . . . disk 2"
"Default: F1"

Then after a while it boots my image. F5 does nothing. I would like to know why it happens and if there is a way to remove so i can boot straight to my image...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1859 of 2397, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it possible to attach two soundblaster devices for use by Sequencer Plus Gold? The software supports multiple soundblaster cards by loading its FM synth driver, SAPIFM1, twice. Here is an example:
SAPIFM1 /ADDR:230 /PORT:3
SAPIFM1 /PORT:2