VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30820 of 52730, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Here is one of the more interesting things I have gotten recently. I had been looking for one of these adapters for a good price for a while. It came with a motherboard, cpus, ram, and a few cards.
A Lin-Lin S370 adapter to use Coppermine CPUs in older boards as well as to use Tualatin CPUs in older boards.

What does this actually do? Is it just a VRM or something?

Reply 30821 of 52730, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FAMICOMASTER wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Here is one of the more interesting things I have gotten recently. I had been looking for one of these adapters for a good price for a while. It came with a motherboard, cpus, ram, and a few cards.
A Lin-Lin S370 adapter to use Coppermine CPUs in older boards as well as to use Tualatin CPUs in older boards.

What does this actually do? Is it just a VRM or something?

No VRM. It is basically a pin-mod device. See info here on doing the pin mod to run a Tualatin in a BX board.
https://www.overclockers.com/tualatin-in-a-bx-board/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30822 of 52730, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote:

There was a very long drive involved, but to me it was worth it.

Yip. Some drives are just worth it.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30823 of 52730, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Nice.. I still have the Silent Tower I bought new when it first came out. Works a bit better if there is a second fan on the oth […]
Show full quote

Nice.. I still have the Silent Tower I bought new when it first came out. Works a bit better if there is a second fan on the other side used as an exhaust. And you can get higher cfm fans as well. The stock one really doesn't move a lot of air.

Edit: Here is one of the more interesting things I have gotten recently. I had been looking for one of these adapters for a good price for a while. It came with a motherboard, cpus, ram, and a few cards.

adapter.jpg
jumper_settings.jpg

I had one of those once. I used it in a baby AT Socket 370 board with a Via chipset. That board didn't support anything beyond a Mendocino 533 (officially), but it actually worked with a Tualatin Celeron 1100 with that adapter.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 30824 of 52730, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently won an Ebay auction on a Creative CD-ROM Upgrade Kit, brand new and sealed in-box. This will go well with my new(ish) 386 build.

Pic of installed drive: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

ihCoxJ5.jpg

WTF Creative!! The drive is not wrapped in plastic?

5m2g5NZ.jpg

Noice...

1mdcfeO.jpg

mBOZ6rC.jpg

Original owner must have slipped the receipt through the crack of the box lit.. 1996, 't was a good year...

cbXzrmm.jpg

I paid about $80 AUD more than the original cost. Considering inflation, not a bad deal... 😀

Edit: Actually, according to the RBA inflation calculator, the price in 2018 would have been $270 AUD. I paid $238.50 AUD + AU $16.00 AUD shipping. Not bad indeed...

Reply 30825 of 52730, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it is buggy 🙁 creative gf256ddr

Attachments

• 20190928_161632 (2).jpg
    Filename
    20190928_161632 (2).jpg
    File size
    1.44 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20190928_161055.jpg
    Filename
    20190928_161055.jpg
    File size
    579.53 KiB
    Views
    File license

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 30826 of 52730, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Realised that I haven't posted here in a while, but found some stuff I'm excited about. Time for a show and tell 🤣

C3knUUJm.jpg

Intel Advanced/ATX motherboard aka Thor. AFAIK it's the first ATX motherboard ever. Has onboard S3 Trio64V+ chip, Crystal 4232+Yamaha OPL3 — basically a full system on a board (sans modem/NIC). The only unpopulated sockets are COAST (my motherboard has 256KB onboard L2 cache) and VRM (I don't know what it's for. The fastest CPU in the manual is P1-166).

I prefer ATX over AT and I am a fan of Intel boards, so to me this is a perfect alternative to late 486 boards. It has an option to disable cache with Ctrl+Alt+"-" shortcut (kind of turbo, gives mid 386 speeds), so it's a great platform for a very late DOS machine. Right now I'm messing with Windows 3.11, but I want to test my new SB32 and I might get my hands on PowerVR PCX2 soon, so I might switch to original Windows 95 and then this build will be like a true granddaddy of modern PCs: 25 years old, but pretty much exactly the same as any modern computer 😀

RYR7kuLm.jpg

Another Intel board, a TC430HX. Has onboard Yamaha YMF chip. I would love to find a fully loaded version with S3 and OPL4. But as it stands it's the last MMX-capable Intel board to have earlier AMIBIOS with "turbo" functionality as 430TX boards have a different BIOS.

The board actually came with a full Socket 7 system, but the case was in terrible condition. I've spent a day cleaning off all the dust, dirt and rust only to realise the plastic parts got pretty brittle. It was a machine made by "Vist" — probably the only Russian big-name company to adopt ATX Intel boards early on, but their ATX cases were abysmal. Unnecessarily complicated design where you always have to remove the front bezel to access anything, and the whole thing was held by plastic clips that break all the time.

I also have an Intel Batman (Socket 4 AT), an Advanced/ML (Marl, a cheap 430HX-based board without MMX support), a VS440FX (Socket 8 ATX) and an AP440FX (Socket 8 LPX). Guess I'll have to get rid of most of my 430TX Socket 7 AT boards as I can't imagine using them again — ATX is just that much convenient.

oTxNFELm.jpg

Creative SoundBlaster 32, CT3930. It's a weird beast — a Vibra-based AWE board with a dedicated OPL3 chip. Everything is set through jumpers which is nice, because I always stick like 2-3 soundcards in my machines. I am pretty excited about this card because AWE32 is my favourite wavetable card and I always wanted a model with OPL3. Also Vibras usually have pretty clean sound in my experience. The downside is buggy MPU401, but I'm not going to use this board with external MIDI. Also AFAIK Vibra can't control bass/treble in mixer the way normal AWE32 can, but that's okay too.

Too bad the card only shines under Windows 95 though. I can't imagine how people felt about AWE32 in 1994 when there was only Win3.11 and DOS. The musicians could of course load soundfonts under Windows, but it's impossible to run most games that way.

3FTrOKhm.jpg

A socketed AMD 386DX40. I have a couple of PC-CHIPS M321 motherboards which I believe have a jumper to switch between 33 and 40MHz chips. Guess I can get rid of all my integrated AMD 386DX boards now 😀 Have to find an FPU for it though as all my chips are 25 or 33 MHz.

cQbstnxm.jpg

A Radeon 7200 32MB SDR. Not the most exciting card, but only cost me 1.5 bucks, so why not.

0XiRGOzm.jpg

A SIS 315 AGP card. I know nothing about it, but it was also very cheap.

qG114oxm.jpg

An Intel NIC to go with my Intel boards 😀 All my other NICs are 3COM, so I've thought this might be nice for a change. Don't think it's going to be noticeably better that a typical 3C905 though.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2019-10-28, 14:40. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 30828 of 52730, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
Realised that I haven't posted here in a while, but found some stuff I'm excited about. Time for a show and tell :lol: […]
Show full quote

Realised that I haven't posted here in a while, but found some stuff I'm excited about. Time for a show and tell 🤣

C3knUUJm.jpg

Intel Advanced/ATX motherboard aka Thor. AFAIK it's the first ATX motherboard ever. Has onboard S3 Trio64V+ chip, Crystal 4322+Yamaha OPL3 — basically a full system on a board (sans modem/NIC). The only unpopulated sockets are COAST (my motherboard has 256KB onboard L2 cache) and VRM (I don't know what it's for. The fastest CPU in the manual is P1-166).

What a nice board!

The unpopulated VRM header is for external voltage regulator module which was meant to provide a flexibility in providing CPU voltage. In theory early an early Socket 7 board with this can support Pentium MMX by just swapping a VRM module and perhaps a BIOS upgrade.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 30829 of 52730, by piatd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
arncht wrote:

I have one of these cards but haven't tested it yet. What do you mean by buggy?

A tale of two Abit BH6s:

I acquired a second BH6, because I've too scared to stick anything into my first board's AGP:

agp.jpg
Filename
agp.jpg
File size
490.01 KiB
Views
File license

Does this look like burn damage to you?

There are some obvious differences between the two, but I'm not sure they're significant (newly-acquired on the right):

bh6comp1.jpg
Filename
bh6comp1.jpg
File size
535.74 KiB
Views
File license

Both PCBs are dated 0799:

bh6comp2.jpg
Filename
bh6comp2.jpg
File size
369.82 KiB
Views
File license

I also grabbed another Slot 1 PII 450, this time in SECC2 packaging:

SL37H along side SL2U7 (SECC1):

DSCN5973a.jpg
Filename
DSCN5973a.jpg
File size
462.19 KiB
Views
File license

Were SECC2 PIIs released in 1998? Could they OC better, given that the heatsink is mounted directly to the CPU die?

Reply 30830 of 52730, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
piatd wrote:
I have one of these cards but haven't tested it yet. What do you mean by buggy? […]
Show full quote
arncht wrote:

I have one of these cards but haven't tested it yet. What do you mean by buggy?

A tale of two Abit BH6s:

I acquired a second BH6, because I've too scared to stick anything into my first board's AGP:

agp.jpg

Does this look like burn damage to you?

There are some obvious differences between the two, but I'm not sure they're significant (newly-acquired on the right):

Both PCBs are dated 0799:

I also grabbed another Slot 1 PII 450, this time in SECC2 packaging:

SL37H along side SL2U7 (SECC1):

image Were SECC2 PIIs released in 1998? Could they OC better, given that the heatsink is mounted directly to the CPU die?

The AGP slot doesn't look burned but more like something exploded onto it... what on earth happened there.
Though, I may be wrong

Reply 30831 of 52730, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like the AGP slot has multiple pins crushed in it, I take a photo of the slot straight from above.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 30832 of 52730, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
piatd wrote:

left chip looks to be a newer stepping (week 4/99 vs. week 45/98). these could sometimes come with bugfixes, but really nothing to think about in general.

Reply 30833 of 52730, by piatd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Starting to agree with you, andreja6, that something exploded onto it, rather than from it. Perhaps something on an AGP card trickled down and hardened, and the slot was further damaged when the card was removed. Whatever it is, it's nasty and doesn't want to come off with a cotton swab and 99% isopropyl alcohol.

DSCN5984a.jpg
Filename
DSCN5984a.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
DSCN5985a.jpg
Filename
DSCN5985a.jpg
File size
874.87 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 30834 of 52730, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
piatd wrote:

Starting to agree with you, andreja6, that something exploded onto it, rather than from it. Perhaps something on an AGP card trickled down and hardened, and the slot was further damaged when the card was removed. Whatever it is, it's nasty and doesn't want to come off with a cotton swab and 99% isopropyl alcohol.

I dont see any damage here. There is dust on the front side (see the CPU/coolers nearby the AGP slot).

From the bottom 2 pins are little bent. There are these same pairs of pins through the holes on the top and the bottom of the slot. And one hole in the middle. Straight them and the board is ready for a test...

Reply 30835 of 52730, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spotted this buy-at-once for 18€...bought it before thinking much about it as I saw the 3dfx and Ensoniq logo...

Seems to be the Ensoniq VIVO ISA, still missing in my collection, and a V2. Price is OK I think..

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    609.5 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 30837 of 52730, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
piatd wrote:
DSCN5984a.jpg

This slot is wrecked for sure, I wouldn't put any card into it and power on the machine. I'm not sure what has been done to it...
It is possible to replace the entire slot but if the board is actually still alive I wouldn't know...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 30838 of 52730, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/qG114oxm.jpg […]
Show full quote

qG114oxm.jpg

An Intel NIC to go with my Intel boards 😀 All my other NICs are 3COM, so I've thought this might be nice for a change. Don't think it's going to be noticeably better that a typical 3C905 though.

Intel PRO/100 NIC?

I have a couple of those, they're excellent boards.

Reply 30839 of 52730, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've found a great lot on a local ad :

A bit of everything in that box ... IO cards, some NICs, sound cards, AT psus, etc:
MIW2NWWl.jpg

Some Syquest drives, a 4x or 2x CD-Rom drive (can't remember which speed) and two dead ST277R-1 (one might be fixable):
n0f4zJUl.jpg

A ton of old ISA video cards (many CGA and VGA cards):
Xai9mjGl.jpg

Including this one 😁 (80's video accelerator 😮 )
4K4gkdBl.jpg

A big stack of very old 3.5" drives from the 80's/early 90'es (MFM, IDE and SCSI. There's even a "Hard Card"):
rIDNLE8l.jpg

5"1/4 MFM/RLL drives (there's also a quantum BigFoot missing from the photo):
Ndm0iTQl.jpg

Some motherboards ...
n43D5HLl.jpg

More motherboards ...
PavjbHPl.jpg

Here's a closer look at some of them :
5di7ZPSl.jpg

CC7M1m6l.jpg

nmsv38tl.jpg

omQjlbbl.jpg

QDySRNel.jpg

The boards with the 486DX4 and the Ti486SLC are still ok 😁 (for other boards I'll have to find their bios because for some of them it's been removed. Some boards are missing some more components ^^ and all will need a good cleaning !!)

For 50€ I'm pretty happy with my bought 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative